+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do you like going to the pub ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ah, but what about a band in a pub?
    I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.

It hasn’t recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal you’d go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, I’m not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I s’pose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?

It hasn’t recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal you’d go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, I’m not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I s’pose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?
    Yup, working class culture has been wiped out for a number of reasons, traditional jobs in industry and manufacturing has had a huge knock on effect. I'd say that making the poor even poorer thus creating an underclass has proved catastrophic for the working class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, working class culture has been wiped out for a number of reasons, traditional jobs in industry and manufacturing has had a huge knock on effect. I'd say that making the poor even poorer thus creating an underclass has proved catastrophic for the working class.
    Good analogy that ‘making the poor even poorer’, it may be rose tinted glasses but years ago all blokes seemed to have a couple of bob over for a few pints with mates (whether that was detrimental to the household income, I don’t know? My old man always enjoyed a pint but never to our cost). I’d hate to be judgemental but has an underclass been created now, an underclass that could never afford the spiralling cost of nights out or treating their kids to the attractions available? So they drink cheap booze at home, never having the chance of mixing in the local and forging some community spirit. You mention that it was a bit dodgy growing up years ago but that local pub had a lot to do with calming that. It was a melting pot of age groups and the majority of good diluted the minority of bad, the older generation more or less kept the young tearaways in control because, more often than not, a youngster playing up would have his old man with his mates in the local telling them to ‘knock it off’. None of that now, people hardly know the other folk in their area.

Good analogy that ‘making the poor even poorer’, it may be rose tinted glasses but years ago all blokes seemed to have a couple of bob over for a few pints with mates (whether that was detrimental to the household income, I don’t know? My old man always enjoyed a pint but never to our cost). I’d hate to be judgemental but has an underclass been created now, an underclass that could never afford the spiralling cost of nights out or treating their kids to the attractions available? So they drink cheap booze at home, never having the chance of mixing in the local and forging some community spirit. You mention that it was a bit dodgy growing up years ago but that local pub had a lot to do with calming that. It was a melting pot of age groups and the majority of good diluted the minority of bad, the older generation more or less kept the young tearaways in control because, more often than not, a youngster playing up would have his old man with his mates in the local telling them to ‘knock it off’. None of that now, people hardly know the other folk in their area.
    I'd say that there's an under class, generations of the same family who have never worked and all of the social problems that go with it. Years ago there would've been employment for these people, many of whom are poorly educated and have low aspiration-work can prop up a lot of social misgivings in my opinion, it also keeps people busy. Many of the working class have had their traditional routes taken away from them, thus creating an underclass in my opinion. Very difficult, if not impossible to reverse it. The rise in single parenting hasn't helped either, shithouse blokes who don't want to take responsibility for their kids. Plenty of dads when i was growing up were not perfect, but at least they were about and had some positive influence, it also showed an element of solidarity towards each over that only seems to kick in when you get into adulthood.

Plenty has gone wrong for white working class men over the last 30 years, that's a fact. Sad thing is that it's the women and kids who suffer most from it.

Good post. We've lost many pubs and clubs in Barry that used to run football teams over the last decade or so. The Admiral, Three Bells, Island Marine as well as social clubs like Services Social, Seaview and The Dockers have all gone. In the early 2000's there were nearly 50 local league sides and 4 divisions, last year just over 20 and in 2 divisions.