Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
I remember the Royal Oak used to put bands on in the Annex? connected to the pub. Looks like it hasn't been used for years.

It hasn’t recently, used to be jumping there years ago, great, earthy atmosphere. This is the type of thing I was referring to in another thread, the social scene was a lot better in the past. Everyone catered for, bands in back rooms of pubs, public bars for the regular boozers, lounge bars for a quieter night out with the wife, then there were the social/working clubs with their concert rooms, a bit of bingo and then a middle of the road turn. If you wanted a meal you’d go to a restaurant or a designated room in a pub, I’m not a fan of eating a meal in the bar of a pub, I prefer a dedicated dining area. Also pubs provided a breeding ground for starting off sports teams, the lads getting together and joining the Cardiff & District or Combination Leagues, sadly diminished now. Progress, I s’pose, but is it? Its all a knock on effect, parks overgrown now, no posts up, very few skittle alleys, community spirit waning. Times have changed, even more so lately, but for the better hmmmmmmmm?