+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you like going to the pub ?

Re: Do you like going to the pub ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    yup, boxing gym upstairs, a lot of gypsy lads would get in there. I went a few times when i was a teenager until this gypsy kid from Shirenewton beat the shit out of me in a 1 minute sparring round....
    Shirenewton, where they drive to the pub and have 8 or more pints and drive home. Lovely place.

Yup, working class culture has been wiped out for a number of reasons, traditional jobs in industry and manufacturing has had a huge knock on effect. I'd say that making the poor even poorer thus creating an underclass has proved catastrophic for the working class.
    Good analogy that ‘making the poor even poorer’, it may be rose tinted glasses but years ago all blokes seemed to have a couple of bob over for a few pints with mates (whether that was detrimental to the household income, I don’t know? My old man always enjoyed a pint but never to our cost). I’d hate to be judgemental but has an underclass been created now, an underclass that could never afford the spiralling cost of nights out or treating their kids to the attractions available? So they drink cheap booze at home, never having the chance of mixing in the local and forging some community spirit. You mention that it was a bit dodgy growing up years ago but that local pub had a lot to do with calming that. It was a melting pot of age groups and the majority of good diluted the minority of bad, the older generation more or less kept the young tearaways in control because, more often than not, a youngster playing up would have his old man with his mates in the local telling them to ‘knock it off’. None of that now, people hardly know the other folk in their area.

yup, boxing gym upstairs, a lot of gypsy lads would get in there. I went a few times when i was a teenager until this gypsy kid from Shirenewton beat the shit out of me in a 1 minute sparring round....
    landlady when I went in there sounded like an Irish traveller , she looked tasty with her fists

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Shirenewton, where they drive to the pub and have 8 or more pints and drive home. Lovely place.
    Great, innit! I do some work down there, they're alright, funny as ****, dogs, chickens and all sorts roaming around.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    landlady when I went in there sounded like an Irish traveller , she looked tasty with her fists

Kitty, she went to the Cambrian afterwards, renamed it Kitty Flynn's.

Great, innit! I do some work down there, they're alright, funny as ****, dogs, chickens and all sorts roaming around.
    Haven't been there for years but they're a good bunch of people.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Good analogy that ‘making the poor even poorer’, it may be rose tinted glasses but years ago all blokes seemed to have a couple of bob over for a few pints with mates (whether that was detrimental to the household income, I don’t know? My old man always enjoyed a pint but never to our cost). I’d hate to be judgemental but has an underclass been created now, an underclass that could never afford the spiralling cost of nights out or treating their kids to the attractions available? So they drink cheap booze at home, never having the chance of mixing in the local and forging some community spirit. You mention that it was a bit dodgy growing up years ago but that local pub had a lot to do with calming that. It was a melting pot of age groups and the majority of good diluted the minority of bad, the older generation more or less kept the young tearaways in control because, more often than not, a youngster playing up would have his old man with his mates in the local telling them to ‘knock it off’. None of that now, people hardly know the other folk in their area.
    I'd say that there's an under class, generations of the same family who have never worked and all of the social problems that go with it. Years ago there would've been employment for these people, many of whom are poorly educated and have low aspiration-work can prop up a lot of social misgivings in my opinion, it also keeps people busy. Many of the working class have had their traditional routes taken away from them, thus creating an underclass in my opinion. Very difficult, if not impossible to reverse it. The rise in single parenting hasn't helped either, shithouse blokes who don't want to take responsibility for their kids. Plenty of dads when i was growing up were not perfect, but at least they were about and had some positive influence, it also showed an element of solidarity towards each over that only seems to kick in when you get into adulthood.

Plenty has gone wrong for white working class men over the last 30 years, that's a fact. Sad thing is that it's the women and kids who suffer most from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If she was in there , she could call it what she likes , i wouldn't be arguing

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Haven't been there for years but they're a good bunch of people.
    Hysterical at times-All of the women say 'I swear on my johns life' Whoever john is

If she was in there , she could call it what she likes , i wouldn't be arguing
    I knew her son, top lad, he was a tiler, killed in a traffic accident.

Hysterical at times-All of the women say 'I swear on my johns life' Whoever john is
    her brother who is also her husband

I knew her son, top lad, he was a tiler, killed in a traffic accident.
    well if he was anything like his mother I wouldn't be arguing with him either

her brother who is also her husband
    The women run things down there, the blokes do as they're told-no ****ing about.

Kitty & Mike Flynn retired from the Royal Oak, The Cambrian was named after her for a while but she never ran it. In fact she was only a Flynn for a short time, she ran The Oak as Kitty Burns for the majority of time there only marrying Mike in her latter years as landlady.

Kitty & Mike Flynn retired from the Royal Oak, The Cambrian was named after her for a while but she never ran it. In fact she was only a Flynn for a short time, she ran The Oak as Kitty Burns for the majority of time there only marrying Mike in her latter years as landlady.
    I'm certain I saw her behind the bar !!!

Maybe I was at the opening and she was there.

She was, pulled the first pint on the reopening

International

The white middle class would be all over that, offset your drinking binge! they'd create an app and everything.
    Why middle class? And why white?

She was, pulled the first pint on the reopening

I can remember finishing off a bottle of Bushmills in there Not many places sell it, as it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why middle class? And why white?
    Because i said so.

International

Because i said so.
    Pefectly crafted answer. Is that straight out of the party guidelines book then?

I'm a former regular drinker who has probably drunk less than ten pints since 2013 and have not had one in more than two years. So, there's a part of me who looks down my nose at people in pubs now, but that's not fair because if it wasn't for me going on Warfarin, I would still be drinking now - maybe not as much as I did, but I'd still want my one night out a week.
    I was never a drinker at home, but loved going to pubs and I miss them more than I miss the beer.

International

some of the reason for the demise of pubs is not so much the appearance of what is referred to as an under class so much as government taxing alcohol, and a lot of other things the ordinary person involves, to a greater extent than other things, so the cost of going to the pub has increased greatly in proportion to rising wages.

As an example, in 1988 in my local a pint of Newcastle Exhibition was 97 pence. 3 Years later it was £1.32, an increase of nearly 30%. toady it will cost you £3.50. But in line with inflation it should cost about £2.30.
    If a shot of whisky had increased by the same percentage from then until now it would cost about £7 a shot.

Lost interest in both pubs & alcohol at some point around 5 years ago, no idea why, possibly one of my numerous pills as I can't stand bitter tastes anymore. Still got two boxes of lager bought for Xmas 2018. As others have said above, the noise doesn't help either. I've turned into an old fart but give me a decent restaurant and good food everytime!

I can't stand the taste of lager , beer , wine , vodka , gin , basically any alcohol , makes me want to vomit

When those cherry and blackcurrant ciders were brought out about 15 years ago I developed a taste for a while but it didn't last long

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Pefectly crafted answer. Is that straight out of the party guidelines book then?
    It should be