+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44

Thread: Ojo signs

  1. #1

    Ojo signs

    Last edited by Former Labour leader; 07-09-20 at 11:19. Reason: Spelling

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Re: Ojo signs

    Another promising youngster on loan. Excellent news. What position can he cover 10 and wing ?

  5. #5
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,448

    Re: Ojo signs

    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...oins-liverpool

    Cardiff City are pleased to confirm the arrival of Sheyi Ojo on a season-long loan from Liverpool, subject to international clearance.

    Sheyi becomes Neil Harris’ third signing of the summer window, following the arrival of Welsh international Kieffer Moore and Arsenal loanee Jordi Osei-Tutu.

    The 23-year-old, who has 13 first-team appearances for the Reds, has also earned Championship experience at the likes of Wigan Athletic, Wolves and Fulham.

    He spent the 2019/20 campaign in the SPL with Rangers, netting on five occasions including a winner over Feyenoord in the Europa League.

    Upon putting pen to paper in the Welsh capital, Sheyi spoke exclusively to Cardiff City TV, saying: “I’ve got a point to prove and I’m really excited for the new challenge."

    “Cardiff City is a massive club with great fans and great players – hopefully I can show what I can do here and fit right in."

    Comfortable across the forward line – both out wide or in a number ten role – Sheyi set his sights on hitting the ground running ahead of Saturday's season opener.

    "Wherever the ball is, I want to be involved in the game as much as possible," he continued.

    “I’m delighted to get here in time for a full week’s training with the team ahead of the first home game this Saturday. Now it’s important that we start right."

  6. #6
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,448

    Re: Ojo signs


  7. #7

    Re: Ojo signs

    Fantastic - "Wherever the ball is I want to be involved" - Love it.

  8. #8

    Re: Ojo signs

    Never seen him but capped at a number of levels and given a contract at Liverpool. Hopefully we get the best out of him.

  9. #9

    Re: Ojo signs

    We need to freshen up the wing positions so a good move. Murphy and Holiett were awful last Saturday. NML is indisposed and Whyte is not good enough. Holiett is going in to his 5th season with us and NML his fourth. And as much as I like Murphy he hasn't shown consistency, and is in and out of the team. I expect one of our four wide men to be sold or go out on loan now. And we have Osei-Tutu who is a wide man playing at full back. But al leats we have now signed three players to add to the squad. And I expect more to come with a few departures too hopefully.

  10. #10

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We need to freshen up the wing positions so a good move. Murphy and Holiett were awful last Saturday. NML is indisposed and Whyte is not good enough. Holiett is going in to his 5th season with us and NML his fourth. And as much as I like Murphy he hasn't shown consistency, and is in and out of the team. I expect one of our four wide men to be sold or go out on loan now. And we have Osei-Tutu who is a wide man playing at full back. But al leats we have now signed three players to add to the squad. And I expect more to come with a few departures too hopefully.
    Good post, agreed about Whyte. Easy to forget about him, didn't we pay Oxford £2m? Warnock was so hit-and-miss with his hunches. I like Hoilett and NML, so their length of service at the club doesn't bother me. Agreed about Murphy too, I was chuffed when we signed him but he hasn't delivered. He may well be a revelation at his next club, but I'd show him and Whyte the door.

  11. #11

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    We need to freshen up the wing positions so a good move. Murphy and Holiett were awful last Saturday. NML is indisposed and Whyte is not good enough. Holiett is going in to his 5th season with us and NML his fourth. And as much as I like Murphy he hasn't shown consistency, and is in and out of the team. I expect one of our four wide men to be sold or go out on loan now. And we have Osei-Tutu who is a wide man playing at full back. But al leats we have now signed three players to add to the squad. And I expect more to come with a few departures too hopefully.
    We did need to freshen up our wide players. On the basis of 2 for each position, unless NML is absent long term(which is possible I suspect) one of them will be on his way. Hope it's not Hoilett as he gives us a nice balance, but Whyte and Murphy would not be greatly missed.

  12. #12

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    A genuinely exciting signing. 👍

  13. #13

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...oins-liverpool

    Cardiff City are pleased to confirm the arrival of Sheyi Ojo on a season-long loan from Liverpool, subject to international clearance.

    Sheyi becomes Neil Harris’ third signing of the summer window, following the arrival of Welsh international Kieffer Moore and Arsenal loanee Jordi Osei-Tutu.

    The 23-year-old, who has 13 first-team appearances for the Reds, has also earned Championship experience at the likes of Wigan Athletic, Wolves and Fulham.

    He spent the 2019/20 campaign in the SPL with Rangers, netting on five occasions including a winner over Feyenoord in the Europa League.

    Upon putting pen to paper in the Welsh capital, Sheyi spoke exclusively to Cardiff City TV, saying: “I’ve got a point to prove and I’m really excited for the new challenge."

    “Cardiff City is a massive club with great fans and great players – hopefully I can show what I can do here and fit right in."

    Comfortable across the forward line – both out wide or in a number ten role – Sheyi set his sights on hitting the ground running ahead of Saturday's season opener.

    "Wherever the ball is, I want to be involved in the game as much as possible," he continued.

    “I’m delighted to get here in time for a full week’s training with the team ahead of the first home game this Saturday. Now it’s important that we start right."
    The "I've got a point to prove" line is what I like

  14. #14

    Re: Ojo signs

    Welcome Ojo , bit more youth and fresh legs , hope he has the Daniel James type pace to supply Kieffer as we see for Wales , blood him straight away Neil on Saturday , shake em up ,after that lifeless display last Saturday .

  15. #15

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Good post, agreed about Whyte. Easy to forget about him, didn't we pay Oxford £2m? Warnock was so hit-and-miss with his hunches. I like Hoilett and NML, so their length of service at the club doesn't bother me. Agreed about Murphy too, I was chuffed when we signed him but he hasn't delivered. He may well be a revelation at his next club, but I'd show him and Whyte the door.
    Agree with all of this.

    I was really excited by Murphy but he has had his chances here, much as I want him to succeed.

    I’ve never seen anything in Whyte.

    Both should be let go really and considered expensive mistakes. Good luck to them though.

  16. #16

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Agree with all of this.

    I was really excited by Murphy but he has had his chances here, much as I want him to succeed.

    I’ve never seen anything in Whyte.

    Both should be let go really and considered expensive mistakes. Good luck to them though.
    2 million an expensive mistake??

  17. #17

    Re: Ojo signs

    Family on 'er indoors side are Scousers and Liverpool fans and tell me Ojo has pace and talent but decision-making leaves quite a bit to be desired. Seem generally a bit frustrated with him as they reckon he has natural ability. Still young of course so hopefully he'll develop with us this season.

  18. #18

    Re: Ojo signs

    I think Harris got this guy as our starting no 10 which may have been the challenge leading him to throw his lot on with us.He'll certainly be judged against Tomlin if my supposition is correct.Not that I'm writing off Tomlin as he sets a high benchmark in terms of ability but he is younger and fitter

  19. #19

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I think Harris got this guy as our starting no 10 which may have been the challenge leading him to throw his lot on with us.He'll certainly be judged against Tomlin if my supposition is correct.Not that I'm writing off Tomlin as he sets a high benchmark in terms of ability but he is younger and fitter
    Or maybe Tomlin starts with Ojo coming on last twenty or thirty to run at a tired defence or both start with Ojo moving into Tomlins position second half and bringing a wide player on

  20. #20
    International City123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    5,610

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Or maybe Tomlin starts with Ojo coming on last twenty or thirty to run at a tired defence or both start with Ojo moving into Tomlins position second half and bringing a wide player on
    Its good to finally have some options, too many of our players are quite samey

  21. #21

    Re: Ojo signs

    When was the last time we signed a player with such a short surname?

  22. #22

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Or maybe Tomlin starts with Ojo coming on last twenty or thirty to run at a tired defence or both start with Ojo moving into Tomlins position second half and bringing a wide player on
    Nah. Tomlin comes on at 60 mins and feeds the already tired Opposition some Melton Mowbray pork pies!

  23. #23

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When was the last time we signed a player with such a short surname?
    Gavin Rae I think

  24. #24

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Gavin Rae I think
    ... and before him Alan Lee?

  25. #25

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Never seen him but capped at a number of levels and given a contract at Liverpool. Hopefully we get the best out of him.
    They gave him a long term contact after they signed him when he was still in nappies at Milton Keynes.

    He is a player they are looking to offload along with Grujic

    Benefit of the doubt - he probably knows its his last shot at the big time which no doubt he was told when he was 12 FFS

  26. #26

    Re: Ojo signs

    Rangers fans really didn't rate Ojo, nicknamed him "Ono" and thought he was only getting game time cos of the Gerrard/Liverpool connection.

    We'll see what happens, hoping for the best.

  27. #27
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,448

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    They gave him a long term contact after they signed him when he was still in nappies at Milton Keynes.

    He is a player they are looking to offload along with Grujic

    Benefit of the doubt - he probably knows its his last shot at the big time which no doubt he was told when he was 12 FFS
    Yes they seem to be trying to offload him (along with Grujic, Wilson etc) and would have preferred a sale rather than loan - but they did give him a new 5 year contract only 2 years ago.

    Wales Online have done a cut/paste scouting report on him that is much more positive than some of the comments on here:

    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nsfer-18891552

    I have read contradictory claims about his time with Rangers - that Gerrard got fed up with him because he wouldn't track back, and that Gerrard was impressed with his work-rate. However, he clearly has talent, wants a fresh start, is saying all the right things, and hopefully we will get the benefit of any underachievement in previous loans!

  28. #28

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    They gave him a long term contact after they signed him when he was still in nappies at Milton Keynes.

    He is a player they are looking to offload along with Grujic

    Benefit of the doubt - he probably knows its his last shot at the big time which no doubt he was told when he was 12 FFS
    Can we at least wait the customary length of time before we start to slag him off.

    Wait to see what he looks like warming up before a game.

  29. #29

    Re: Ojo signs

    I remember the “disappointed” and “underwhelmed” comments when we signed Jay Bothroyd.

    Also the excitement when we signed Nicky Maynard.

    He could be great for us so let’s give him the chance to see what he can do.

  30. #30

    Re: Ojo signs

    Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    2 million an expensive mistake??
    Very.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •