+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: COVID - Something has to change

Re: COVID - Something has to change

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    You think Jeremy Corbyn would have done so much better? Could he have done worse. In my opinion Yes.
    I didn't say that, I just think that Johnson is temperamentally just about as bad as we could have in the current position - just as with virtually every party leader i can think of in recent years, Corbyn would have been more diligent and responsible in his approach than Johnson.

Possibly because the post I was replying to was personally biased; his post are very one way showing zero balance. You only have to read some of my earlier posts indicating my criticisms of this government in particular for the way they handled the Cummings debacle. Having said that Labour lost the election because the population at large could not see Corbyn as leader and voted Tory because Johnson was the least worst option. Needless to say I am not a fan of our PM either.
    Hang on a sec, I said that Theresa May and David Cameron would not have done things Johnson did do and has done. Yes, I come at things from a certain slant politically, but what party Johnson is in is immaterial in many ways - his personality and character is ill suited to the position we find ourselves in.

One other thing, I made my reply to what was little more than "ah but what if it had been Labour" style message which, when you think about it, only goes to show how poor this Government has been in handling the virus - using what iffery is usually a sign of an argument being lost or someone who cannot think of anything positive to say about their side.

Possibly because the post I was replying to was personally biased; his post are very one way showing zero balance. You only have to read some of my earlier posts indicating my criticisms of this government in particular for the way they handled the Cummings debacle. Having said that Labour lost the election because the population at large could not see Corbyn as leader and voted Tory because Johnson was the least worst option. Needless to say I am not a fan of our PM either.
    I don't think his posts show zero balance, far from it. And the reason the Tories were elected in December was because the majority were dead set on Brexit and Johnson had made it the cornerstone of his party's manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not all parents are as fantastic as you. I remember when your home schooled yours for a couple of weeks and you were telling everyone here how you were doing a better job than the teachers!
    No not a better job, my kids teachers are very good. What I said was the kids seemed to improve a lot with one to one teaching over lockdown, which they did. No doubt a lot would as opposed to 30 to 1 in a classroom. I’m really glad you seem to take in and recall all the stuff i waffle on about one here, I don’t.....

It would be very difficult to eliminate, but the UK is an island and that gives an advantage over most other countries.
    Which we should have used and closed our borders all summer

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Yes it would be very difficult to eliminate and of course we have about 15 times bigger population than NZ in roughly the same size area so we are far more congested here. However the strategy itself would enable us to minimise the spread of the virus until such time as the necessary tools were available to live with the virus; the vaccine being the Holy Grail.

If we continue to pursue the idea of "living with the virus" when we don't have the necessary tools to contain it then we're setting ourselves up as lambs to the slaughter.
    Lardy says the vaccine is the beginning of the end.....

The lockdown did work last time with infection rated down to reasonable levels. It is only when the government relaxed the restrictions did the infection rate rise.
    But you can't stay permanently in lockdown,

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    But you can't stay permanently in lockdown,
    Not permanently but as long as it takes

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He's right it's the beginning of the end to the problem. Patience is the key

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I did say that. It was in response to you saying that if there's a vaccine at Christmas " I’d be happy to sit in for 3 months if it was nailed on this would end once and for all."

So happy to see who's right. Will it end once and for all with the vaccine, or will it only be the beginning of the end?

Place your bets.

I did say that. It was in response to you saying that if there's a vaccine at Christmas " I’d be happy to sit in for 3 months if it was nailed on this would end once and for all."

So happy to see who's right. Will it end once and for all with the vaccine, or will it only be the beginning of the end?

Place your bets.
    It'll be the beginning because it'll take months if not years for everybody to get vaccinated

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hang on a sec, I said that Theresa May and David Cameron would not have done things Johnson did do and has done. Yes, I come at things from a certain slant politically, but what party Johnson is in is immaterial in many ways - his personality and character is ill suited to the position we find ourselves in.

One other thing, I made my reply to what was little more than "ah but what if it had been Labour" style message which, when you think about it, only goes to show how poor this Government has been in handling the virus - using what iffery is usually a sign of an argument being lost or someone who cannot think of anything positive to say about their side.
    You also said you didn't blame people for voting for the Government. I'm not sure when you became the person who thought they had the right to apportion blame but, while your politics certainly are in the majority on this message board they most certainly are not in the country as a whole. You also acknowledged you come from things from a certain slant politically. If that's what you want to call it then fine but it seems like a very steep incline to me.

I agree with you about Johnson as my post quoted in your message confirms.

It definitely worked last time, we reduced the number of deaths from over 1000 a day to zero and prevented the NHS from collapse!
    You do realise that hospitals stopped treatment for pretty much everything except Coronavirus and life-threatening emergencies during lockdown? I wouldn't describe that as a success.

You also said you didn't blame people for voting for the Government. I'm not sure when you became the person who thought they had the right to apportion blame but, while your politics certainly are in the majority on this message board they most certainly are not in the country as a whole. You also acknowledged you come from things from a certain slant politically. If that's what you want to call it then fine but it seems like a very steep incline to me.

I agree with you about Johnson as my post quoted in your message confirms.
    I said I don't blame people for voting for this Government, how is that apportioning blame?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I said I don't blame people for voting for this Government, how is that apportioning blame?
    I suggest you read what you said. My point is that I don't know what gave you the right to "blame" who or what people vote for. We better leave it there before things get silly. Let's agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    You do realise that hospitals stopped treatment for pretty much everything except Coronavirus and life-threatening emergencies during lockdown? I wouldn't describe that as a success.
    I hope you realize that it was precisely because of lockdown that the flood of hospitalisations was stemmed enabling physicians to treat the Covid cases and then return to dealing with other emergencies. That sounds a success to me.

I hope you realize that it was precisely because of lockdown that the flood of hospitalisations was stemmed enabling physicians to treat the Covid cases and then return to dealing with other emergencies. That sounds a success to me.
    I suppose you would consider lockdown a success if you think it's more important to prevent people from dying due to Covid than to prevent them from dying due to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I suppose you would consider lockdown a success if you think it's more important to prevent people from dying due to Covid than to prevent them from dying due to anything else.
    Of course

I suggest you read what you said. My point is that I don't know what gave you the right to "blame" who or what people vote for. We better leave it there before things get silly. Let's agree to disagree.
    Well if you think that when people say they don't blame someone for a situation that has arisen they are, in fact, apportioning blame, then it definitely is best we agree to disagree.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm not sure where you have the notion that I'm clever from.

I'm simply aware that the Westminster response to the pandemic was too little, too late. It has seen numerous lies; blame shifting; lack of principles; the wasting of money; unnecessary deaths and we are seemingly back at stage one seven months down the line with a half baked system that isn't working.
    The point is that it is easy to say this or that was/is wrong and to suggest others could have done it better when you know there is absolutely no danger of the 'others' referred to ever having to prove you right.
    I would put a penny to the pound that all those who wanted to win the election said a silent prayer of thanks that they didn't when this shit storm broke.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Again your support for your party is admirable.
    Why do all the labour people on this board automatically assume that anyone who might disagree with them is a conservative supporter.

you have made this comment just because IU'm not shouting that labour would have done better. But just remember that if labour had won the election it would be Jeremy who would be PM now and we have seen and read that he was very bad at making any important decisions and actively avoided having to do so. That would have gone down well in the last 9 months.
    If you think he would have done better I would hate to live in your definition of 'better'.

International

I think the whole country would benefit greatly if all the opinionated people who populate this board were running things because they collectively clearly know better than all the politicians and scientists and doctors who are running it.

true xsnaggle seems to be a trend on here
    there are lots of politics out there which are neither labour and tory which offer much more hope than the mainstream

I feel sorry for you lot in blighty...led by boris bumble, cant make his thick mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think the whole country would benefit greatly if all the opinionated people who populate this board were running things because they collectively clearly know better than all the politicians and scientists and doctors who are running it.
    I don't see many people disagreeing with the scientists and doctors to be fair. Also it's adorable how you can talk about "the opinionated people who populate this board" as if you're not one of them