Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Quite how Luton's ground gets a safety certificate, I'm not sure. Very restricted entry and exit for away fans, an away bar area that doesnt appear to have a secondary exit in the event of fire (with a theoretical max number of 60 in there but the stewards weren't counting), a refreshment area built onto old terraces so it was easy to stumble backwards when getting a drink, walls at the front of the away end about 5 foot high (restricting the view and evacuation onto the pitch in an emergency), restricted view of the pitch unless you move around trying to find a decent view plus no facilities for away fans in the local area apart from the Con club which soon gets overwhelmed. Somerton Park is/was better!
Bloody hell ! Don't forget the corrugated roof that fails to deaden the noise when folk scream and shout.

I'm in the minority nowadays when it comes to the football 'experience'. Would rather watch a 4th Division match live than a Champions League final on the TV. And certainly visit an older ground with a historical context as opposed to a modern stadium with huge arching roofs, views which require binoculars, and flat, cavernous atmospheres. Television has made younger 'fans' become used to seeing football played at a distance, the camera trying to keep as much of the pitch in play. It's only when you visit an older ground that you really get close to the play. Last season at Luton was one of the best away trips I've done. Tight to the pitch, up close to defenders and what they're shouting, you could sense that Jazz Richards was bricking himself every time Luton attacked down his side. Hear the whack as the ball hits a post, or the crunch of a tackle.
These grounds had/have character, a distinctive appeal individual to each and every one. You couldn't explain that to Levy or the Spurs fans who can't identify players on the pitch because they're too far away. So long as their team is in the media, with potential for 'silverwear', they're happy to be a part of it. Same with Brady & Co. No small wonder that West Ham are doing well this season - their mausoleum is no worse than any other ground at the moment.
Bit by bit the game is having it's good bits taken away - even the game itself is usually tedious at the top level. Hopefully I've a few seasons to go before it's completely sanitized..