Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see Tories do well (labour fatigue, Tory MP's in North Wales from last Westminster elections but actually vote increase larger in the south) but, imo, I can't see what they have done to deserve it.

Regarding M4 relief road, if it does get made you almost instantly have to thing about a second relief road and that's only going to cause greater damage to the environment. Meanwhile, floods in Wales get worse.

Regarding Covid, ignoring the fire-breal idea, delay of lockdown in England, schools going back for one day all contributed to more sustained level of grief under a Tory government this winter.

In the big event of the year (covid) and big event of the next 10 years (climate change) Tories haven't stood up well.
the relief road project would have sucked up all of the Welsh governments infrastructure spending capabilities for a long time and not actually delivered much tangible benefit.
I think it was estimated to generate an extra £25 million a year. for the cost it was extremely not worth it.
"environmental concerns" is a red herring - if it had paid for itself in 2 years it would have definitely been done. it was going to take like 30 years to pay back - so it got shelved.

I can't believe the conservatives would have approached it any differently. it would be an extremely un-tory way of doing things.