+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Time for city to register as a non profit

... Saying that we've been a non profit for decades. 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs. Hated the red but it’ll go down as fans’ win in the history of our club I’d imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs. Hated the red but it’ll go down as fans’ win in the history of our club I’d imagine.
    Bit of re-writing of history there. Vast majority of fanbase was happy to go along with it, some turned when red scarves were handed out but kept on supporting the project, some more turned December time in that premier league season but there were only a maximum of a thousand who marched before the Liverpool game so active resistance was always just a small percentage of fans, although by that time most were passively resistant instead of passively supportive. It was relegation and rubbish championship football that made most actively resistant to the project.

Weren't we still under Slade when change back to blue happened? Crowds returned for very short period of time before just how dull the football was dropped numbers down again.

Anyway, it's a long time ago now. Several owners have come in and taken on crown of being worst in the league leaving Tan and Blackburn owners to quietly repair their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Bit of re-writing of history there. Vast majority of fanbase was happy to go along with it, some turned when red scarves were handed out but kept on supporting the project, some more turned December time in that premier league season but there were only a maximum of a thousand who marched before the Liverpool game so active resistance was always just a small percentage of fans, although by that time most were passively resistant instead of passively supportive. It was relegation and rubbish championship football that made most actively resistant to the project.

Weren't we still under Slade when change back to blue happened? Crowds returned for very short period of time before just how dull the football was dropped numbers down again.

Anyway, it's a long time ago now. Several owners have come in and taken on crown of being worst in the league leaving Tan and Blackburn owners to quietly repair their reputation.
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?
    I heard his mum is/was a Colchester fan so really that was the first time she got to see how the Cardiff project was going

No it wasn’t, I have it from a reliable sauCe tHat the change back to blue was decided after the season had started

If it was because of that attendance it would point to the (lack of) fans and discontent that swayed him.

If it was because of that attendance it would point to the (lack of) fans and discontent that swayed him.
    Nah, the lack of fans was because we were shit and it was an FA cup match against Colchester.

Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs.
    Are you taking the piss?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Are you taking the piss?
    So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand? Or do you reckon Tan really did act on his mother's advice.

So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand? Or do you reckon Tan really did act on his mother's advice.
    It was, although i'd say that most of the fans who really took up the protest were against the rebrand from the start. Plenty, in fact the large majority accepted it, albeit reluctantly, whatever that means. One person who posts on here went on TV sanctioning it, with the bloke who compared it to Treats and M and M's, whatever happened to him?

I'm pretty certain that if the club had established itself in the Premier league and 30,000 crowds were a fortnightly occurence, then we'd still be in red. The shit football under Slade and the dwindling crowds certainly helped persuade Tan on putting us back into our rightful colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It was, although i'd say that most of the fans who really took up the protest were against the rebrand from the start. Plenty, in fact the large majority accepted it, albeit reluctantly, whatever that means. One person who posts on here went on TV sanctioning it, with the bloke who compared it to Treats and M and M's, whatever happened to him?

I'm pretty certain that if the club had established itself in the Premier league and 30,000 crowds were a fortnightly occurence, then we'd still be in red. The shit football under Slade and the dwindling crowds certainly helped persuade Tan on putting us back into our rightful colours.
    Yes, that's much more in line with my recollection of what happened. Who can forget Red Scarf Night?

Anyway, time moves on......

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Dup

That's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    That's how I remember it.
    Cos that's how it happened Tan threatened fans over the blue, basically, stay in Blue, no cash, play in red, thousands of shirt sales in Malaysia and cash for the Prem. To be fair to Tan, he was true to his words, or threat, however people see it. I think it was the grovelling letters that some of our 'super fans' sent to Tan that saved the day. Have a read of them if you already haven't, begging letters to a lottery winner.

We weren’t going to establish ourselves in the Premier League though and it was realised that the hangers on would drift away diluting the thousands who didn’t give a shite about what colour we played in, leaving the back to blue crowd in the majority, a majority that ensured a return to the colour. Ironically the club’s mishandling of our initial Premier League stint led to the eventual return to blue, the ones that only craved success disappeared until the next false dawn leaving the remaining core support to stir the shit, and it worked. As some have said, it’s in the past now and will always be an interesting, if sad, footnote in our history. But, what’s also sad is that some ex fans (who, in my opinion still care deeply about the club, because it’s bloody hard not to for them) won’t return to the fold and support 100%, they still, again in my opinion, hold a grudge which is quite unhealthy and not good for the mind.

We weren’t going to establish ourselves in the Premier League though and it was realised that the hangers on would drift away diluting the thousands who didn’t give a shite about what colour we played in, leaving the back to blue crowd in the majority, a majority that ensured a return to the colour. Ironically the club’s mishandling of our initial Premier League stint led to the eventual return to blue, the ones that only craved success disappeared until the next false dawn leaving the remaining core support to stir the shit, and it worked. As some have said, it’s in the past now and will always be an interesting, if sad, footnote in our history. But, what’s also sad is that some ex fans (who, in my opinion still care deeply about the club, because it’s bloody hard not to for them) won’t return to the fold and support 100%, they still, again in my opinion, hold a grudge which is quite unhealthy and not good for the mind.
    Yup, there were fans who wanted to go back to blue, but i'm not sure how vocal they were initially, those that still went to watch games. I suppose it was difficult for them, as there would've been a sizeable amount of support who didn't give a shit either way, and an element who were for the rebrand. Poor form, the debacle with Malky and that other bloke who were found to have sent racist text messages, Ole ****ing up, relegation, and general Slade, all helped in Tan reconsidering, and i'm sure it helped in swaying some fans to become more vocal, why not if hardly anything was gained from it all, we'd re assumed our previous position or lower, with inferior players. A good time to be vocal and critical, and much easier to protest when the team is struggling and there is no incentive (anymore) to play in red.

As for the fans that walked. Well, i stayed away, but returned when my son went mad for the club, although he hated red. We actually went back under Slade, or he sort of dragged me along. I'm very pleased that he did. Others who haven't returned were probably more hurt by the reaction of our support than that of Tan, although i can't speak for them. The one thing that i learnt from the whole shit show is that we may all support the same team, but our morals, ethics and perceptions are different towards the club and what we find important. That sounds a bit stupid now, why wouldn't they be? I think that i went through my CCFC supporting life thinking that when it came to the club, we all thought and wanted the same thing. How stupid and naive i was.

So it wasn’t action by the fans that reversed the rebrand?
    Not unless you consider not turning up to watch games after the team has been relegated and the football has turned to shit as 'action'.

The fact of the matter is that a far greater number of Cardiff City fans actively embraced Vincent Tan's rebrand than actively opposed it, while the large majority simply shrugged their shoulders and carried on supporting the team regardless. No amount of attempted revisionism at this stage will alter what actually happened from May 2012 until January 2015.

As for Vinnie himself, he's clearly a special kind of narcissist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not unless you consider not turning up to watch games after the team has been relegated and the football has turned to shit as 'action'.

The fact of the matter is that a far greater number of Cardiff City fans actively embraced Vincent Tan's rebrand than actively opposed it, while the large majority simply shrugged their shoulders and carried on supporting the team regardless. No amount of attempted revisionism at this stage will alter what actually happened from May 2012 until January 2015.

As for Vinnie himself, he's clearly a special kind of narcissist.
    Agree with that and to be fair to Vinnie I have zero respect for the fans that led him down the rebrand path, blinded by money and personal greed.

I am indifferent when it comes to him, narcissist for sure and also arrogant and stubborn but mis-advised by snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Agree with that and to be fair to Vinnie I have zero respect for the fans that led him down the rebrand path, blinded by money and personal greed.
    I don't think it's fair to say the fans led Tan down the rebrand path. That was a path very much of his own making. Of course, there were those nauseating individuals who started grovelling at his feet when he threatened to reduce his promised funding, but that was all a bluff anyway. He'd already decided the club was going to be rebranded and that was the end of that.

Tan was very definitely misadvised, but not in the way you seem to believe. When he introduced his rebranding ideas he was told by various club officials that the opposition from the fans would be fierce and strong. As it turned out, all of those involved were surprised by how meek and mild the response from the fanbase was and how few supporters took a genuine stand against the rebrand. Indeed, the number of fans who requested refunds on their season tickets was so small that the CEO was able to find time to contact most of them personally in an attempt to get them to change their minds.