+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

In typical fashion City's owner says in doing so:

It would help the underprivileged to own affordable homes as housing is a basic need of human beings and essential for a person's sense of dignity, safety and inclusion. "I am also passionate about building affordable homes for Malaysians....It is only right that I give half of my wealth back to the people and country. It is the right thing to do,”

Tan also disclosed that it was his wish that none of his children would be involved in the (Berjaya) group's listed companies and to let professional managers to run them. "I am 69 years old now and by next year I will be 70. I think that's enough. I have been working since I was 17 years old.

No mention of what he intends to do with his time or his football clubs

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Hats off to him.

It's been said before but Tan is the best owner we've ever had. A decent man, which is more than can be said for many of the owners/directors before him.
    It would be good if the supporters who were so offended by the red debacle, could recognise this, and provided they still have an interest, come back to the City family.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    It's been said before but Tan is the best owner we've ever had. A decent man, which is more than can be said for many of the owners/directors before him.
    It would be good if the supporters who were so offended by the red debacle, could recognise this, and provided they still have an interest, come back to the City family.
    I think there is a tendency these days to be binary regarding many issues i.e. being totally pro or totally anti.
    There is no doubt that Tan has been exemplary in many areas but the red debacle was shameful and an example as to how to alienate a loyal fan base. It was even quoted as a major marketing mistake on a course I attended regarding branding. It was a disgusting rejection of history and tradition despite all the good things that followed. 50 years from now Tan may be remembered for only one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think there is a tendency these days to be binary regarding many issues i.e. being totally pro or totally anti.
    There is no doubt that Tan has been exemplary in many areas but the red debacle was shameful and an example as to how to alienate a loyal fan base. It was even quoted as a major marketing mistake on a course I attended regarding branding. It was a disgusting rejection of history and tradition despite all the good things that followed. 50 years from now Tan may be remembered for only one thing.
    Mulipule promotions to the premier league?
    And obviously keeping us afloat in awful times. That's how most fans feel about Tan I know. Obviously other people can be influenced especially on other boards lol

Dup

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    And obviously keeping us afloat in awful times. That's how most fans feel about Tan I know. Obviously other people can be influenced especially on other boards lol
    Well I am not influenced by 'other boards' and each individual has their own take on things. Such is life.

If he's dead how can he possibly give anything to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    By far and away the best owner we've ever had by a country mile. There are still those who think the change of colour was the worst day of their lives (especially on the other board). That being the case they've lived a charmed existence so far.

An analogy was used at the time, the choice being you will lose everything and be evicted from your home OR the new owner will redecorate the house using his preferred colour scheme and you will not lose anything and will not be evicted. What would you do ?

Simplistic yes but there is a ring of truth in it. We were in dire straits before he took over the club and could easily have gone into liquidation. In my opinion the change of colour was a bad idea but VT eventually had the good sense to reverse his decision and has given his financial backing ever since. What more could you ask of an owner, especially in these strange and difficult times.

Where there's a will there's a way.
    Last edited by skunkatron; 28-03-21 at 07:51. Reason: Meant to quote mcadder

Harbouring bitterness is unhealthy. Passing that bitterness onto the next generation is worse.
    Tan made a monumental error with his attempted rebrand, but he had the decency to abort it.
    Nobody is perfect, and that episode will be forever woven in the clubs history.
    It will be a shame and an injustice imo if that’s all Tan is remembered for

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Harbouring bitterness is unhealthy. Passing that bitterness onto the next generation is worse.
    Tan made a monumental error with his attempted rebrand, but he had the decency to abort it.
    Nobody is perfect, and that episode will be forever woven in the clubs history.
    It will be a shame and an injustice imo if that’s all Tan is remembered for
    I'm not harbouring any bitterness, old fruit. And I'm hardly passing 'that bitterness' on to the next generation (an interesting concept, it has to be said). Does your comment about the rebrand being a 'monumental error' and 'forever woven in the clubs [sic] history' mean that you are 'harbouring bitterness' and 'passing that bitterness onto the next generation'?
    I think not.

I'm not harbouring any bitterness, old fruit. And I'm hardly passing it on to the next generation. Does your comment about the rebrand being a 'monumental error' and 'forever woven in the clubs [sic] history' mean that you are 'harbouring bitterness' and 'passing that bitterness onto the next generation'?
    I think not.
    I didn’t mean it as a go at you old fruit. I must have quoted you by mistake, instead of just making a thread comment. Don’t be so bitter 😂

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I didn’t mean it as a go at you old fruit. I must have quoted you by mistake, instead of just making a thread comment. Don’t be so bitter ��
    Silly arse

There’s no doubt that, in terms of money invested, Vincent Tan is City’s best owner by a distance and as someone who constantly rubbished “Tan’s folly”, I have to admit he was proved right about the Ninian Stand extension during 18/19 and I was proved wrong.
    However, the rebrand has already been mentioned and you cannot help but think there’s been very little return, both for himself and the club, on all of that investment- if it’s true that there have been “multiple promotions” to the Premier League under Vincent Tan’s ownership, then it has to follow that there’s also been multiple relegations.

A personal view is that the style of football has got a lot less attractive under Vincent Tan’s charge, but I don’t think he should be blamed for that. Given that he’s waived interest payments on his loans so often and has been taking steps to reduce the club’s debt, albeit slower than promised a few years ago, the plans to donate half of his money to charity shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I’ll always feel that, on balance, Vincent Tan has done a lot more good than bad at Cardiff City, but, if he were to leave today, my view would be that his time here would have to be thought of as a great opportunity wasted.

Be interesting to see what the off set of those he drove into poverty through his gambling enterprises are.

It's easy to give it away when you're dead, me for instance will leave everything. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Tan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    By far and away the best owner we've ever had by a country mile. There are still those who think the change of colour was the worst day of their lives (especially on the other board). That being the case they've lived a charmed existence so far.

An analogy was used at the time, the choice being you will lose everything and be evicted from your home OR the new owner will redecorate the house using his preferred colour scheme and you will not lose anything and will not be evicted. What would you do ?

Simplistic yes but there is a ring of truth in it. We were in dire straits before he took over the club and could easily have gone into liquidation. In my opinion the change of colour was a bad idea but VT eventually had the good sense to reverse his decision and has given his financial backing ever since. What more could you ask of an owner, especially in these strange and difficult times.

But you don't need an analogy to explain it, it was fairly simple.
    I agree with Blue Genie. In 50 years if he's remembered for anything, it'll be for turning us red. Managers might be remembered for promotions or players, but not owners.

Time for city to register as a non profit

... Saying that we've been a non profit for decades. 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs. Hated the red but it’ll go down as fans’ win in the history of our club I’d imagine.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Be interesting to see what the off set of those he drove into poverty through his gambling enterprises are.

It's easy to give it away when you're dead, me for instance will leave everything. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Tan!!
    History is littered with examples of people who made their wealth out of exploiting the working classes and then attempted to return a portion of their wealth through charitable foundations.

Carnegie and Rockefeller for example set up foundations that are still going strong today

Whitchurch library was built with money gifted by the Carnegie Trust

Contemporary philanthropists include Bill Gates, Warren Feeney, George Soros and Douglas Tompkins the North Face founder who returned ownership of 2 million acres of land to Chile and Argentina for the creation of national parks.

My point is, it’s not a new thing and a lot more money has been returned to the citizens over the years via the establishment of facilities that are available to the community than Tan owns.

I agree with TOBW Tan has done a lot of good things for the club but this is balanced by some of the poor decisions made.

I don’t believe for one moment that he is a bad person. Possibly badly advised but there comes a time in the lives of some people when they reflect on their lives and consider their legacy. The richness of the individual's life, including what that person accomplished and the impact he or she had on people and places. Ultimately it’s the story of a person's life.

For CCFC he will always be a part of the club’s history and the club will always be part of him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs. Hated the red but it’ll go down as fans’ win in the history of our club I’d imagine.
    Bit of re-writing of history there. Vast majority of fanbase was happy to go along with it, some turned when red scarves were handed out but kept on supporting the project, some more turned December time in that premier league season but there were only a maximum of a thousand who marched before the Liverpool game so active resistance was always just a small percentage of fans, although by that time most were passively resistant instead of passively supportive. It was relegation and rubbish championship football that made most actively resistant to the project.

Weren't we still under Slade when change back to blue happened? Crowds returned for very short period of time before just how dull the football was dropped numbers down again.

Anyway, it's a long time ago now. Several owners have come in and taken on crown of being worst in the league leaving Tan and Blackburn owners to quietly repair their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Maybe there’s a reason to thank him for galvanising and uniting (most) of our fan base due to the rebrand. It was fans’ anger and (the majority) getting behind the back to blue campaign that showed that perhaps our fans have got the balls to fight and right wrongs.
    Are you taking the piss?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Bit of re-writing of history there. Vast majority of fanbase was happy to go along with it, some turned when red scarves were handed out but kept on supporting the project, some more turned December time in that premier league season but there were only a maximum of a thousand who marched before the Liverpool game so active resistance was always just a small percentage of fans, although by that time most were passively resistant instead of passively supportive. It was relegation and rubbish championship football that made most actively resistant to the project.

Weren't we still under Slade when change back to blue happened? Crowds returned for very short period of time before just how dull the football was dropped numbers down again.

Anyway, it's a long time ago now. Several owners have come in and taken on crown of being worst in the league leaving Tan and Blackburn owners to quietly repair their reputation.
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was it a coincidence that the change back to blue was announced after a crowd of just 4,194 for an FA Cup tie with Colchester?
    I heard his mum is/was a Colchester fan so really that was the first time she got to see how the Cardiff project was going

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    History is littered with examples of people who made their wealth out of exploiting the working classes and then attempted to return a portion of their wealth through charitable foundations.

Carnegie and Rockefeller for example set up foundations that are still going strong today

Whitchurch library was built with money gifted by the Carnegie Trust

Contemporary philanthropists include Bill Gates, Warren Feeney, George Soros and Douglas Tompkins the North Face founder who returned ownership of 2 million acres of land to Chile and Argentina for the creation of national parks.

My point is, it’s not a new thing and a lot more money has been returned to the citizens over the years via the establishment of facilities that are available to the community than Tan owns.

I agree with TOBW Tan has done a lot of good things for the club but this is balanced by some of the poor decisions made.

I don’t believe for one moment that he is a bad person. Possibly badly advised but there comes a time in the lives of some people when they reflect on their lives and consider their legacy. The richness of the individual's life, including what that person accomplished and the impact he or she had on people and places. Ultimately it’s the story of a person's life.

For CCFC he will always be a part of the club’s history and the club will always be part of him.
    Warren Feeney?