+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In order for me to say something positive about Tan, I'd first have to believe there was something positive about Tan. I don't, so I won't.
    Hypocrite ice cream brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Hypocrite ice cream brigade.
    Snivelling troglodyte troop.

Snivelling troglodyte troop.
    I realise it's a virtually impossible question to answer Dave considering the rebrand had such a big effect on how you, and many others, view the club, but do you believe your opinion of Vincent Tan would be different if it had never happened?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I realise it's a virtually impossible question to answer Dave considering the rebrand had such a big effect on how you, and many others, view the club, but do you believe your opinion of Vincent Tan would be different if it had never happened?
    It is an impossible question to answer because the rebrand effectively defines Tan's tenure. It's like asking somebody's opinion of Sam Hammam without Black Friday or the Langston affair. The fact that the club still has Tan's little red dragon on its badge speaks volumes. After all, how many other professional football clubs have what is effectively their owner's personal mark on their badges?

It's April 2021 and yet Cardiff City is still apparently entirely dependent upon the continued goodwill and financial support of a rich Malaysian, and that's according to his chairman and those who count themselves as his biggest supporters. To me, that speaks volumes about the way in which the club has been run during the last decade.

It is an impossible question to answer because the rebrand effectively defines Tan's tenure. It's like asking somebody's opinion of Sam Hammam without Black Friday or the Langston affair. The fact that the club still has Tan's little red dragon on its badge speaks volumes. After all, how many other professional football clubs have what is effectively their owner's personal mark on their badges?

It's April 2021 and yet Cardiff City is still apparently entirely dependent upon the continued goodwill and financial support of a rich Malaysian, and that's according to his chairman and those who count themselves as his biggest supporters. To me, that speaks volumes about the way in which the club has been run during the last decade.
    I think back to what it felt like when it was learned that a billionaire was going to take over the club and think “is this it then?”, because more than a decade later, we’re slightly worse off in terms of league position, much worse off in terms of quality of football and much worse off in terms of producing our own players.

However, I cannot be anything other than grateful for Vincent Tan’s financial support and the debt and interest payments he has written off (although the amount written off is not as much as was promised a few years ago I believe).

The rebrand was a disaster of Vincent Tan’s own making - in some ways, the club has not recovered from it, but when people say he’s the best owner we’ve ever had, I can understand why they would say that. That said, for me, we could and should have been so much better than we’ve turned out and so I can’t agree with that viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think back to what it felt like when it was learned that a billionaire was going to take over the club and think “is this it then?”, because more than a decade later, we’re slightly worse off in terms of league position, much worse off in terms of quality of football and much worse off in terms of producing our own players.

However, I cannot be anything other than grateful for Vincent Tan’s financial support and the debt and interest payments he has written off (although the amount written off is not as much as was promised a few years ago I believe).

The rebrand was a disaster of Vincent Tan’s own making - in some ways, the club has not recovered from it, but when people say he’s the best owner we’ve ever had, I can understand why they would say that. That said, for me, we could and should have been so much better than we’ve turned out and so I can’t agree with that viewpoint.
    "Least bad" is the way I tend to think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    "Least bad" is the way I tend to think about this.
    Yes, I reckon that's a good way of describing it.