+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Re: Vincent Tan to give half his wealth to charity after he dies...

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Didn’t the guy who had the other messageboard turn up to Coventry away with a Thailand flag?
    Please let this be true, and please let it be that he had his Photo taken with it.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Big Gwyn dressed his dog up in a red shirt I seem to recall. Now that was ****ing cringeworthy.
    Is he still about? I know we haven’t been down the City for a good while but hadn’t seen him home or away for a bit before ‘closed doors’...........haven’t seen Gwyn either

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Please let this be true, and please let it be that he had his Photo taken with it.
    I’ve searched and can’t find it but I’m sure it happened

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I wasn’t looking for your opinion on him as a person, that’s why i said his tenure.
    I'd say the two are intrinsically linked, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bollocks. The club was in serious threat of going into administration before Tan got involved.
    Sure thing.

As I recall, when Tan initially got involved in the club (albeit as something of a sleeping partner), it was in the Championship play-off positions but also deep in debt and losing money hand over fist. As things stand, the club is just outside the Championship play-off positions, deep in debt and losing money hand over fist.

I guess the biggest difference you'll highlight is that City are now perceived by many as being financially secure, but is that actually true? After all, we're continually told that CCFC is almost totally reliant upon Vinnie's continued goodwill and financial support, which is hardly a position of strength. After all, what happens if this man who lives on the other side of the world suddenly snuffs it? How would the club fare in such a situation?

I've always believed that you can only truly evaluate a football club owner's tenure is once it's finished. Will CCFC be in a better position after Tan has gone than it was when he took over? Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'd say the two are intrinsically linked, wouldn't you?
    Not really. What kind of character a club owners is, and how he runs the club, are 2 different things entirely.
    You could have an owner who’s as nice as pie, but naive, and ****s the club up, or you could have an absolute keunt in charge, but they improve your club both on and off the pitch.
    I was just interested in your opinion as him as an owner.

Not really. What kind of character a club owners is, and how he runs the club, are 2 different things entirely.
    As far as I’m concerned you couldn’t be more wrong.

As far as I’m concerned you couldn’t be more wrong.
    Can you explain?

Can you explain?
    You not wanting to explain your reasoning TLG ?

Can you explain?
    This? Dear me.....

Yes, I can explain and it's very simple. I don't believe what kind of character a club owner is and how he runs the club are two entirely different things as you suggest. On the contrary, I believe they are very strongly linked.

This? Dear me.....

Yes, I can explain and it's very simple. I don't believe what kind of character a club owner is and how he runs the club are two entirely different things as you suggest. On the contrary, I believe they are very strongly linked.
    Well that was a damp squib. Thought you were gonna enlighten me a bit more than that.

Well that was a damp squib. Thought you were gonna enlighten me a bit more than that.
    So what do you want exactly?

So what do you want exactly?
    We’ll just have to agree to disagree. There’s more chance of Sludge getting his Nat King than you ever saying anything positive about Tan. Your a bitter man 😀

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. There’s more chance of Sludge getting his Nat King than you ever saying anything positive about Tan.
    In order for me to say something positive about Tan, I'd first have to believe there was something positive about Tan. I don't, so I won't.

In order for me to say something positive about Tan, I'd first have to believe there was something positive about Tan. I don't, so I won't.
    the fact that since the red disaster he has kept the club going

If he pulls out we are fecked

I think that's something positive

Hypocrite ice cream brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    the fact that since the red disaster he has kept the club going

If he pulls out we are fecked

I think that's something positive
    Other than the red rubbish he's been the best owner the club has had. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Hypocrite ice cream brigade.
    Snivelling troglodyte troop.

Snivelling troglodyte troop.
    I realise it's a virtually impossible question to answer Dave considering the rebrand had such a big effect on how you, and many others, view the club, but do you believe your opinion of Vincent Tan would be different if it had never happened?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I realise it's a virtually impossible question to answer Dave considering the rebrand had such a big effect on how you, and many others, view the club, but do you believe your opinion of Vincent Tan would be different if it had never happened?
    It is an impossible question to answer because the rebrand effectively defines Tan's tenure. It's like asking somebody's opinion of Sam Hammam without Black Friday or the Langston affair. The fact that the club still has Tan's little red dragon on its badge speaks volumes. After all, how many other professional football clubs have what is effectively their owner's personal mark on their badges?

It's April 2021 and yet Cardiff City is still apparently entirely dependent upon the continued goodwill and financial support of a rich Malaysian, and that's according to his chairman and those who count themselves as his biggest supporters. To me, that speaks volumes about the way in which the club has been run during the last decade.

It is an impossible question to answer because the rebrand effectively defines Tan's tenure. It's like asking somebody's opinion of Sam Hammam without Black Friday or the Langston affair. The fact that the club still has Tan's little red dragon on its badge speaks volumes. After all, how many other professional football clubs have what is effectively their owner's personal mark on their badges?

It's April 2021 and yet Cardiff City is still apparently entirely dependent upon the continued goodwill and financial support of a rich Malaysian, and that's according to his chairman and those who count themselves as his biggest supporters. To me, that speaks volumes about the way in which the club has been run during the last decade.
    I think back to what it felt like when it was learned that a billionaire was going to take over the club and think “is this it then?”, because more than a decade later, we’re slightly worse off in terms of league position, much worse off in terms of quality of football and much worse off in terms of producing our own players.

However, I cannot be anything other than grateful for Vincent Tan’s financial support and the debt and interest payments he has written off (although the amount written off is not as much as was promised a few years ago I believe).

The rebrand was a disaster of Vincent Tan’s own making - in some ways, the club has not recovered from it, but when people say he’s the best owner we’ve ever had, I can understand why they would say that. That said, for me, we could and should have been so much better than we’ve turned out and so I can’t agree with that viewpoint.

You put Tan in the naughty corner over the rebrand, and have refused to let him out ever since. How long can you hold a grudge?
    You also said you wouldn’t go back while he’s still at the helm, but pre covid, you were sniffing around like a teenager trying to get into a peep show.

I think back to what it felt like when it was learned that a billionaire was going to take over the club and think “is this it then?”, because more than a decade later, we’re slightly worse off in terms of league position, much worse off in terms of quality of football and much worse off in terms of producing our own players.

However, I cannot be anything other than grateful for Vincent Tan’s financial support and the debt and interest payments he has written off (although the amount written off is not as much as was promised a few years ago I believe).

The rebrand was a disaster of Vincent Tan’s own making - in some ways, the club has not recovered from it, but when people say he’s the best owner we’ve ever had, I can understand why they would say that. That said, for me, we could and should have been so much better than we’ve turned out and so I can’t agree with that viewpoint.
    "Least bad" is the way I tend to think about this.

We got to the Premier league, and he gave McKay cash to spend, but he wasted it. It’s not all Tans fault we are where we are.

You put Tan in the naughty corner over the rebrand, and have refused to let him out ever since. How long can you hold a grudge? You also said you wouldn’t go back while he’s still at the helm, but pre covid, you were sniffing around like a teenager trying to get into a peep show.
    Credit where it's due, the shite you've been gibbering in recent days has been inane even by your own lowly standards.

How long can I hold a grudge, you ask. The answer is I don't know. Maybe a lifetime. We'll have to see I guess.

I said I wouldn't go back while Tan was still at the helm, did I? Utter nonsense. I never said anything of the sort. My first City match post-rebrand was away at Fulham in August 2016 and I've been to plenty since. My last game before Covid-19 struck was the last home match fans were allowed into - the 2-2 draw with Brentford. I think that was my sixth or seventh game of 2019/20. Not sure.

Thanks for your interest, though. It's just a shame you don't have a better memory.