+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Turned up in The Royle Family years later, Doreen Keogh, who played her, sadly passed away in 2017, nowhere near 93 though
    Oh yes she was!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doreen_Keogh

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I stand erected, although as Concepta she was about fifteen/twenty years younger I reckon. She was nowhere near knocking on forty when she married Harry, was she?

On the subject of coverage - I feel it's pretty much like a gun to the head. Or, put another way, the license fee.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    let's knock her off and find out
    First time I've ever agreed with you I think

BBC response to the complaints about the coverage of the passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, April 2

"The passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge some viewers were unhappy with the level of coverage given, and impact this had on the billed TV and Radio schedules.

We do not make such changes without careful consideration and the decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for all feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences".

If that is all they are going to say I think the message is basically Thanks for all your complaints but we think we were right.

shame for queenie and royalists that he's dead but just bury him for f sake

shame for queenie and royalists that he's dead but just bury him for f sake
    Be patient Sludge only 2 days to go

When did they start calling him the Grandfather of the Nation.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    When did they start calling him the Grandfather of the Nation.?
    Randy Andy did last weekend. You must have seen it as it was on every channel 🙂

Elton John is fuming as he wanted to rewrite a populsr song including that as a lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nah you’re alright. The hypocrisy surrounding this man is nauseating. Just be glad when all this nonsense is over.
    Not his greatest fan then Pearcey??

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Not his greatest fan then Pearcey??
    Nope. If he wasn’t a Royal the public would view him very differently imo. Rude, arrogant and dismissive of other cultures.

Nope. If he wasn’t a Royal the public would view him very differently imo. Rude, arrogant and dismissive of other cultures.
    What makes you say he was dismissive of other countries, Pearcey?

International

No, he wasn't any of those things, it is just your opinion of him. He was probably better regarded and considered in other countries than he was here. But it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No, he wasn't any of those things, it is just your opinion of him. He was probably better regarded and considered in other countries than he was here. But it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
    I imagine that the average Joe in most countries knows diddly squat about him.

That’s strange. He was very popular in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That’s strange. He was very popular in other countries.
    So was Benny Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So was Benny Hill.
    Norman Wisdom was almost a god in Albania!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Norman Wisdom was almost a god in Albania!
    Yup, the trampled Worker.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Great interview that. Thanks for posting it. A very humble and down to earth guy. Served the country well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    So was Benny Hill.
    Lad!

This is fawning nonsense

Nicolas Witchell, Prince Charles , Prince Andrew say of Prince Phillip

Oh he was forthright ! He was direct ! He didn't suffer fools gladly !

Is that what explains him using the term slinty eyes ?

Or ......this looks like it was made by an Indian!

He was a silly old ignorant sod end of

Do you think saying ......this looks like it was made by an Indian! is being respective of other cultures and countries ?

You are having a laugh 😆

International

Do you think saying ......this looks like it was made by an Indian! is being respective of other cultures and countries ?

You are having a laugh 😆
    I didn't mention anything about indians, you're inventing things to suit your posts again sludge, as you always do.
    As for the "slitty eyes" comment, it was made to brit students studying in China when he met them on a Tour with Chinese dignitaries on the great wall. The Chinese took no offence at it at all, only commenting that it is just the same as they calling us "Round eyes" as they do.
    It was the British press who were actually there to help promote the UK for business purposes, that picked up on it and made a huge fuss about it, implying he had insulted the Chinese nation when in reality no insult was intended or taken. It was a jokey comment blown out of all proportion be certain journos.
    But being constantly in the public eye I suppose he should sometimes have been more circumspect in his comments.

I think on balance he did far more good for people than he ever did harm and used his position to help a great number and to promote the country across the world. Not a bad thing to do in life really.

But I get the feeling that you are so bitter and envious of anyone whom you see as having more privilege than you that you could never see the good in any of them.

I didn't mention anything about indians, you're inventing things to suit your posts again sludge, as you always do.
    As for the "slitty eyes" comment, it was made to brit students studying in China when he met them on a Tour with Chinese dignitaries on the great wall. The Chinese took no offence at it at all, only commenting that it is just the same as they calling us "Round eyes" as they do.
    It was the British press who were actually there to help promote the UK for business purposes, that picked up on it and made a huge fuss about it, implying he had insulted the Chinese nation when in reality no insult was intended or taken. It was a jokey comment blown out of all proportion be certain journos.
    But being constantly in the public eye I suppose he should sometimes have been more circumspect in his comments.

I think on balance he did far more good for people than he ever did harm and used his position to help a great number and to promote the country across the world. Not a bad thing to do in life really.

But I get the feeling that you are so bitter and envious of anyone whom you see as having more privilege than you that you could never see the good in any of them.
    It's great that those slitty eyed people found it funny. I wonder if slitty eyed people from countries that Britain colonised or that were part of the commonwealth found it entertaining too.