Re: Duke of Edinburgh dies

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Quality
    To be fair that was good

A lot of the original post was rubbish but that was clever

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    he's a daft old racist

If you are prepared to let it go because he's old or you like the royal family thats your decision you fool
    Let what go Sludge (I think your first sentence is wrong by the way, and that is said by someone who has never been a great fan of Prince Philip)

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What would you call supporting, following, and in many cases, worshipping over paid footballers, who play for your local team ?
    That's such a stupid comparison, football fans are the first to be critical of their own players. This thread is pretty strong evidence that those who support the institution of the royal family, don't appear to be able to be critical of it or them as individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Let what go Sludge (I think your first sentence is wrong by the way, and that is said by someone who has never been a great fan of Prince Philip)
    That is like when the racist says 'some of my best friends are black'. You rarely miss an opportunity to defend the anything or anyone associated with the British establishment.

I’d wager he was a bit brighter than you.. Probably still is. 👍
    Well he didn't seem to have a lot of common sense as his comments on people were not very clever for a person supposedly representing his country

So I would wager on that front , I am brighter than him . He had a lot of medals but those he won and those he was given is a moot point

But the issue here is he made some very offensive remarks about people and because he was in the royal family it was oh he's only joking , he's very forthright in his views you know , he tells it as he sees it 😉

Here is another example of someone having a bit of fun ......

BBC News - Cambridgeshire Police officer sacked over racial slur
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56776303

Except he got sacked

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    BBC News - Cambridgeshire Police officer sacked over racial slur
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56776303

Prince Phillip said something he saw in a factory looked like it had been made by an Indian and that spending too much time around oriental people would give you slanty eyes

Now if the royal family are normal people and we are always told that by the cap doffers why is it they can get away with saying that sort of nonsense

I don't care how long he lived , its an offence to people of his era who don't have stupid views like that who are still alive

I bet sir Tom who recently raised all that money for the NHS didn't think like that , now he was a man to admire and had nothing to do with the royal family .

Same in this country old fruit, going by this thread.
    So tell us what you know about your mate Phil, the grandfather of the nation , that us mere ordinary folk don't?

Yes we know he served in world war two , so did my grandfather, as did many others

He shot a lion

I don't suppose many on this MB watched the funeral this afternoon, or if they did, would probably not admit to it! I did watch the actual funeral ceremony from about 2.45pm. What I remember most was not the military parade and the general pomp but seeing a little old lady dressed in black sitting all by herself in a cathedral-like building and feeling very sad for her. Sorry if that offends.

after watching an enthralling game on BT sports Halifax v Kings Lyn and what a game that was I took in 5 minutes of the funeral and that was enough for me . A good bit of advertising for Jaguar Land Rover mind what a lovely green Defender that was/is

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That's such a stupid comparison, football fans are the first to be critical of their own players. This thread is pretty strong evidence that those who support the institution of the royal family, don't appear to be able to be critical of it or them as individuals.
    Who says who supports the royal family? I certainly don’t. Just because i’ve got an opinion on the topic.
    I’ve got an opinion on Man City’s poor performance today, but i’m no fan of theirs.
    It’s like wading through treacle on here.

Who says who supports the royal family? I certainly don’t. Just because i’ve got an opinion on the topic.
    I’ve got an opinion on Man City’s poor performance today, but i’m no fan of theirs.
    It’s like wading through treacle on here.
    Ironically Joe Royle played for and managed Man City, sort of ties the thread up

👍😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ironically Joe Royle played for and managed Man City, sort of ties the thread up
    Thomas Tuchel became the first German manager to reach an FA cup final as well today. It’s all tying in 👍

Thomas Tuchel became the first German manager to reach an FA cup final as well today. It’s all tying in ��
    And Frau Elizabeth II has attended a good few in her younger days and is free now to have a day out with the girls on tour at this year’s final.

Thomas Tuchel became the first German manager to reach an FA cup final as well today. It’s all tying in ��
    German manager buries Phil Foden the same day as a German Queen buries Phil the Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I don't suppose many on this MB watched the funeral this afternoon, or if they did, would probably not admit to it! I did watch the actual funeral ceremony from about 2.45pm. What I remember most was not the military parade and the general pomp but seeing a little old lady dressed in black sitting all by herself in a cathedral-like building and feeling very sad for her. Sorry if that offends.
    lots of other old ladies lose their husbands , it doesn't offend me

International

Do you think saying ......this looks like it was made by an Indian! is being respective of other cultures and countries ?

You are having a laugh 😆
    I didn't mention anything about indians, you're inventing things to suit your posts again sludge, as you always do.
    As for the "slitty eyes" comment, it was made to brit students studying in China when he met them on a Tour with Chinese dignitaries on the great wall. The Chinese took no offence at it at all, only commenting that it is just the same as they calling us "Round eyes" as they do.
    It was the British press who were actually there to help promote the UK for business purposes, that picked up on it and made a huge fuss about it, implying he had insulted the Chinese nation when in reality no insult was intended or taken. It was a jokey comment blown out of all proportion be certain journos.
    But being constantly in the public eye I suppose he should sometimes have been more circumspect in his comments.

I think on balance he did far more good for people than he ever did harm and used his position to help a great number and to promote the country across the world. Not a bad thing to do in life really.

But I get the feeling that you are so bitter and envious of anyone whom you see as having more privilege than you that you could never see the good in any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I didn't mention anything about indians, you're inventing things to suit your posts again sludge, as you always do.
    As for the "slitty eyes" comment, it was made to brit students studying in China when he met them on a Tour with Chinese dignitaries on the great wall. The Chinese took no offence at it at all, only commenting that it is just the same as they calling us "Round eyes" as they do.
    It was the British press who were actually there to help promote the UK for business purposes, that picked up on it and made a huge fuss about it, implying he had insulted the Chinese nation when in reality no insult was intended or taken. It was a jokey comment blown out of all proportion be certain journos.
    But being constantly in the public eye I suppose he should sometimes have been more circumspect in his comments.

I think on balance he did far more good for people than he ever did harm and used his position to help a great number and to promote the country across the world. Not a bad thing to do in life really.

But I get the feeling that you are so bitter and envious of anyone whom you see as having more privilege than you that you could never see the good in any of them.
    He said what he said , its on record . I haven't twisted or turned anything

I haven't invented anything , that's what he said . Simple as that . I mentioned indians and slanty eyes as that's what he said .

Its on record

Dress it up anyway you want , if you think Indian people and Chinese people are not offended by that sort of language then you carry on living in a dreamworld . If you think that's acceptable then that's up to you to defend but he said those things . He was a silly old entitled bigot .

I don't care a toss about people who have more money than me but I think the entitled rich and the royal family need to be cast into history

And he shot a lion

Good riddance to him

International

He said what he said , its on record . I haven't twisted or turned anything

I haven't invented anything , that's what he said . Simple as that . I mentioned indians and slanty eyes as that's what he said .

Its on record

Dress it up anyway you want , if you think Indian people and Chinese people are not offended by that sort of language then you carry on living in a dreamworld . If you think that's acceptable then that's up to you to defend but he said those things . He was a silly old entitled bigot .

I don't care a toss about people who have more money than me but I think the entitled rich and the royal family need to be cast into history

And he shot a lion

Good riddance to him
    I meant that your post implied that I had made some comment about the indian remark when you know quite well that I hadn't.
    But you know that too. you just alter things to suit what you want to see or say.

I meant that your post implied that I had made some comment about the indian remark when you know quite well that I hadn't.
    But you know that too. you just alter things to suit what you want to see or say.
    No I didn't, I implied nothing of the sort

You said what he said wasn't offensive , I said if you think that what he said about Indian and oriental people wasn't offensive then you must be joking

And I am right

It was extremely offensive

Nicolas Witchell can pass it off as being forthright and telling it like it is , anyone with half a brain knows that's bullshit . He was an embarrassment.

International

No I didn't, I implied nothing of the sort

You said what he said wasn't offensive , I said if you think that what he said about Indian and oriental people wasn't offensive then you must be joking

And I am right

It was extremely offensive

Nicolas Witchell can pass it off as being forthright and telling it like it is , anyone with half a brain knows that's bullshit . He was an embarrassment.
    No. you were trying to draw me into a conversation about indians that I wasn't part of and do not wish to be. I have no opinion about it at all, I don't care.
    It seems to me that anything, anything at all, that you think offends your sense of righteousness because you feel the 'oppressed' are being abused, you jump on the band wagon.
    But it isn't about the people you espouse to defend it's all about Sludge.

No. you were trying to draw me into a conversation about indians that I wasn't part of and do not wish to be. I have no opinion about it at all, I don't care.
    It seems to me that anything, anything at all, that you think offends your sense of righteousness because you feel the 'oppressed' are being abused, you jump on the band wagon.
    But it isn't about the people you espouse to defend it's all about Sludge.
    no , thats cobblers

You are a failed psychiatrist I am afraid

I admire your academic slant on things

But its an epic fail

International

no , thats cobblers

But its an epic fail
    More bullshit. Have a nice day.

no , thats cobblers

But its an epic fail
    Out of interest, what do you do for a living ?

Out of interest, what do you do for a living ?
    Full time message board poster obviously