+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammering For Labour In Hartlepool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hammering For Labour In Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I also think Labour are finished. Conservatives must think it’s Christmas every day. There is absolutely no opposition to them, It’s a woeful situation.
    I see only 2 paths now. The UK either get used to being Tory led for the foreseeable future, or Wales and Scotland take a gamble and go independent,
    a new alternative to the tories party , call it the democratic party , best of Labour, Liberal, green etc

Only way forward

Labour is finished on a UK level

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Labour are not left wing. I think what you want is an even more right wing labour party, like under Blair, where Tory fiscal policy and deregulation on a scale even the Tories couldn't believe is the order of the day.

There is no Left wing alternative, because there hasn't been one for decades.The last bloke that attempted basic left wing policy was called a terrorist, ridiculed over his appearance and attacked by his own party (Twice) as well as the entire media. Labour are getting what they deserve for not evolving into a party that cares for those that need them most, workers. Instead of implementing policy that protects the most vulnerable and the hardest hit, as well as protecting services etc, they've just chased the Tories about, it's like a Benny hill sketch.

Centrist means right wing. Labour aren't offering an alternative, although it seems that the voting public are swallowing up this shit that says that we need to pander to the 'moderate' which usually means more right than left.
    he's off again

Power to the people 💪

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Just like those 17,410,72 idiots who didn't know what they were doing when they voted to leave the EU.
    Well the ones in Wales are clearly idiots as the UK government is now withdrawing money from Wales promised to plug the gap left by leaving Europe

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    10 years of Tory austerity that came about as a result of Labour almost bankrupting the Country. People are not stupid, they have longer memories that Corbyn and Starmer gave them credit for. They also realised that in spite of all the hardship caused by the austerity measures, the alternative is a Labour Government who ridiculously wanted to go on a reckless spending spree by borrowing hundreds of billions more.
    The Labour spending plans supported by Cameron in opposition ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Labour spending plans supported by Cameron in opposition ?
    Cameron didn't only support the plans he/Tories said bankers (cause of the global crash) should get more freedom to act as they wanted. Austerity then slowed recovery and Brexit appears likely to slow recovery from pandemic as well.

Austerity also caused greater wealth divide which then also made the pandemic much, much worse.

That's not a three word, catchy slogan though so it won't cut through.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The left wing of the Labour party handed the Tories their biggest majority for over 30 years at the last general election.
    You think it's that simple? Fair enough. A question for you- you say that you hate Tories etc, what do you think you would get under a centrist party which will have obvious right wing leanings?

You're great at espousing the social aspect of your character, one that champions the most vulnerable, the needy, the destitute etc. How do you think that we've arrived at that over the past 30 years or so?

I presume that you would like to see better services, more real affordable social housing, real investment in deprived areas, better care for the plenty who are taking their own lives or sitting depressed, directly or indirectly caused through years of right wing policy, yet you promote more of the same, because you believe that basic policy which allows people to live better can never exist. Fair play sludge, like plenty of others, they've done a job on you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The left wing of the Labour party handed the Tories their biggest majority for over 30 years at the last general election.
    indeed

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    People don't want to be taxed ‘until the pips squeak’ any more. They want to be encouraged to go out, work hard, keep more of their own money and better themselves through their own efforts. Not lie about sponging off the state as became the norm under previous Labour Governments.
    that sounds like thatcher

You realise the benefits system provided for more proportionally under the tories than it did under Blair and brown ?

Feedback

that sounds like thatcher

You realise the benefits system provided for more proportionally under the tories than it did under Blair and brown ?
    sounds like you agree that the Tories care more for wealth redistribution than Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You think it's that simple? Fair enough. A question for you- you say that you hate Tories etc, what do you think you would get under a centrist party which will have obvious right wing leanings?

You're great at espousing the social aspect of your character, one that champions the most vulnerable, the needy, the destitute etc. How do you think that we've arrived at that over the past 30 years or so?

I presume that you would like to see better services, more real affordable social housing, real investment in deprived areas, better care for the plenty who are taking their own lives or sitting depressed, directly or indirectly caused through years of right wing policy, yet you promote more of the same, because you believe that basic policy which allows people to live better can never exist. Fair play sludge, like plenty of others, they've done a job on you.
    I think I need to nail this into your head

I want a moderate , left of centre alternative to the tories

Tony Blair type politics then .

Labour made a huge error rejecting all his policies and changes

They should have gone for David Miliband and they'd be in a better place now , probably still in Europe as he would have shown more appetite for the remain campaign than Corbyn , and beat Cameron and May

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Tony Blair type politics then .

Labour made a huge error rejecting all his policies and changes

They should have gone for David Miliband and they'd be in a better place now , probably still in Europe as he would have shown more appetite for the remain campaign than Corbyn , and beat Cameron and May
    Probably right there, it sucks there’s such a limited choice. We should have more than two parties to choose from and certain policy should be set in stone so not messed with every 4 years etc...health, schools etc..

Where nothing changes, the poor get poorer, more homeless, more depression, more addiction, communities reliant on anti depressants, lack of real job prospects, break up of families etc.... You know the drill...All the things you care about, yet you want to implement a party that would do very little to improve these people's lives. You had better get a life times supply of blankets, soup and keep adding to the food banks, those numbers you provide on mental health are going to be useful as well if you believe that a centrist party will do anything to help the poor. Good luck mate.

Labour have lived on the past for too long, many Labour voters voted for them as " my dad did " or " its what we vote around these parts ", voting day is very easy for them , Arrive, get ballot papers and look for labour, put cross in that box

a political party cannot survive like that for long

Voters actually do a little research these days, if a voter see's a party that they like the look of, they get the vote ( it could actually be the evil empire, the Tories ), the blind sheep like voter ( described above ) is on its way out

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Labour have lived on the past for too long, many Labour voters voted for them as " my dad did " or " its what we vote around these parts ", voting day is very easy for them , Arrive, get ballot papers and look for labour, put cross in that box

Voters actually do a little research these days, if a voter see's a party that they like the look of, they get the vote ( it could actually be the evil empire, the Tories ), the blind sheep like voter ( described above ) is on its way out
    No I don't agree with that.
    There are just as many dyed in the wool tory areas as Labour.

And I don't agree on research, especially into policies.
    I know several people who expressed very strong anti Corbyn opinions at the time of the last election, but couldn't have named a single one of his policies. And when some of the policies were suggested to them they thought they sounded good - but they still didn't like Corbyn.

One person described him as a "nasty piece of work" without being able to explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No I don't agree with that.
    There are just as many dyed in the wool tory areas as Labour.

And I don't agree on research, especially into policies.
    I know several people who expressed very strong anti Corbyn opinions at the time of the last election, but couldn't have named a single one of his policies. And when some of the policies were suggested to them they thought they sounded good - but they still didn't like Corbyn.

One person described him as a "nasty piece of work" without being able to explain why.
    Thats your opinion

I stand by mine, " the Labour heartlands " have voters who will only vote Labour " cause its what we do around here " One was even on the news yesterday, a bloke in his 50's

With the Internet, it has never been easier to find a parties policies, my daughter voted for the 1st time yesterday, she ( along with a few of her friends ) actually sat down and looked at what each candidate was saying, as it happens, its Tories or Lib Dems around here.
    She remembered a issue we had and the Local MP who went above and beyond to help us, so she voted for him ( good enough reason as any in a local imho )

Thats your opinion

I stand by mine, " the Labour heartlands " have voters who will only vote Labour " cause its what we do around here " One was even on the news yesterday, a bloke in his 50's

With the Internet, it has never been easier to find a parties policies, my daughter voted for the 1st time yesterday, she ( along with a few of her friends ) actually sat down and looked at what each candidate was saying, as it happens, its Tories or Lib Dems around here.
    She remembered a issue we had and the Local MP who went above and beyond to help us, so she voted for him ( good enough reason as any in a local imho )
    You'd have to add that there is evidence that "£350 million a week for the NHS" was a pivotal slogan that caused people to vote one way despite i) Boris never wanting to stand next to the slogan because he knew it was rubbish and ii) it was always rubbish.

Politics isn't the 90's anymore and people aren't blindly loyal to one party but that doesn't necessarily mean their research produces well-informed votes. They just have more information now.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You'd have to add that there is evidence that "£350 million a week for the NHS" was a pivotal slogan that caused people to vote one way despite i) Boris never wanting to stand next to the slogan because he knew it was rubbish and ii) it was always rubbish.

Politics isn't the 90's anymore and people aren't blindly loyal to one party but that doesn't necessarily mean their research produces well-informed votes. They just have more information now.
    Well, that bus slogan is well and truly in the past now, so how do you explain the millions of voters that have deserted Labour for Conservative in the last few years. No doubt you will find some other pathetic excuse to cast doubt upon the sanity of anyone who doesn't think or vote like you.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Im not sure many truly thought that the NHS would get £350 Mill extra a week ( I dont know anyone who did anyway ), it did serve a purpose of getting people thinking about what money was going into the EU pot and where else it could be spent, so in that case it was job done
    Last edited by blue matt; 07-05-21 at 09:45. Reason: Mill not K

And so what does a tory voter like about that party because, certainly on here, none of them ever talk about what makes them vote the way they do?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And so what does a tory voter like about that party because, certainly on here, none of them ever talk about what makes them vote the way they do?

They have in the past Bob, we have seen them being called Idiots / Right wing racists, The baying Labour Mob are not a bunch to allow other views on here, Just look at the Brexit discussions for proof

They have in the past Bob, we have seen them being called Idiots / Right wing racists, The baying Labour Mob are not a bunch to allow other views on here, Just look at the Brexit discussions for proof
    I agree with the overall point: Labour can't win casual Tory voters if they reject anyone who has voted Tory and people should be allowed to express themselves and not get abused for that. However...

Tory voters aren't an endangered species - they're literally the majority of the written press, a good chunk of social media press, the majority of voters etc. etc.

Tory policies cause people to need foodbanks. People get emotional because of Tory policies that have attacked minorities and created a wealth divide which has literally damaged people's lives. In comparison, your life has not really been damaged by a comment on here.

A greater level of respect should be shown to each other, but also that needs to come from the powerful to those without power as well.

I must have blinked and missed the bit where tory voters explained why they vote like they do and as for a "baying Labour mob", they're like a bunch of pussycats on here compared to some others sections of social media. If you want to talk "baying mobs", have a look every now and then at the comments section of the Daily Mail, Daily Express or Sun or there's always the occasional headline with those three as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There are lots of reasons, why one would vote for the way they do (tory) and often fairly uncontroversial.

- Lower taxes
    - strong stance against illegal immigration
    - Less regulation for the self employed
    - more business friendly
    - Politics of aspiration
    - Competition in education
    - Perceived to be more on the 'side' of freedom of speech

I am not saying I agree or support all the above talking points, but I am trying to display a general theme, that surely you can see why a local business man or self-employed builder who can afford to send their kids to a private school would vote conservative, without necessarily being an evil person.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    There are lots of reasons, why one would vote for the way they do (tory) and often fairly uncontroversial.
    - Lower taxes
    No. since 2010 the Tory government has collected more in taxes as a percentage of GDP than any other before it. It really is a myth that the Tories are the party of low taxes. Don't be fooled by headline rates.

- strong stance against illegal immigration
    marvellous, lets ignore the fact immigration is actually good for the UK
    - Less regulation for the self employed
    perhaps you can have a word with the DWP and HMRC as they haven't read the memo. There is more bureaucracy for the self-employed than ever before.
    - more business friendly
    possibly. The jury is out

- Politics of aspiration
    agreed

- Competition in education
    whilst this is a good thing, i can't see why we cannot fund education so everyone has an Eton/Harrow type of education paid for by the state.

- Perceived to be more on the 'side' of freedom of speech
    perception doesn't mean fact. This Tory government have clamped down on a lot of our digital freedoms

I am not saying I agree or support all the above talking points, but I am trying to display a general theme, that surely you can see why a local business man or self-employed builder who can afford to send their kids to a private school would vote conservative, without necessarily being an evil person.[/QUOTE]