Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
I've got no doubt that there are many instances of cultural appropriation and it has a damaging effect on the livelihoods and culture of minority groups.

I think part of the issue is with the internet these days people's culture is changing faster than ever.

I am vaguely aware of numbers of young people in the UK and USA with a genuine interests in Korean pop groups. Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.
If they grow up listening to k-pop, then some of them start to make their own music - if they do it in the style of a korean artist - or even with some Korean lyrics - is that cultural appropriation ? or is that what their culture now IS? should they instead make a different style of music they have no knowledge of or interest in?

I think if everyone was forced to "stay in their own lane" so to speak it would be even more damaging than the alternative.

As for Cheryl Cole - it does seem as though she's perhaps not the ideal choice for this podcast. I can definitely understand the frustration black artists must have when this sort of thing goes on.
On the other hand she is REALLY famous - she's not got the gig because she knows the most about R&B out of any potential presenter, but because she's a huge name, and more people will probably listen to it with her name on it. If that ends up getting people interested in R&B who wouldn't otherwise have listened then it might not be all bad.

As a middle aged white guy in the UK it is pretty hard to think of an example that is anything like the same though.
I don't think that your comparison with Korean pop music is the best, in my opinion. I guess that the angle of this article is UK based, and relating to black people in this country being overlooked for jobs where they maybe best suited. Not my words, that of the article, before anyone wants to have a go.

Historically, South Koreans have not been discriminated against in the UK, or by Western Culture, not that i am aware of anyway. Although i'm sure Feedback will find something in his locker from the 11th century So, the comparison you makeis sort of coming from an historical level playing field, it's not like white culture has had a negative effect on South Korean people in terms of progress and opportunity. To me, there has to be some historical context.