+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Of the Epic Films Made

  1. #1

    Of the Epic Films Made


  2. #2

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No

  3. #3

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    There are many great films

    There is no greatest ever film

    The Great Escape is a good film

  4. #4

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    No

  5. #5

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There are many great films

    There is no greatest ever film

    The Great Escape is a good film
    Indeed, but probably just a "top ten" WWII based movie and certainly IMHO well behind the likes of Schindler's List, Bridge on the River Kwai, and Saving Private Ryan.

  6. #6

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Indeed, but probably just a "top ten" WWII based movie and certainly IMHO well behind the likes of Schindler's List, Bridge on the River Kwai, and Saving Private Ryan.
    A Bridge Too Far

    Where Eagles Dare

  7. #7

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It has to be up there

  8. #8

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    One scene that stuck with me was from an old war film. Near the end of the film two soldiers had to run zig zag across fields to get to safety whilst the japs were behind shooting at them. Any idea what the film was called?

  9. #9

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    My uncle was in Stalag Luff 3. Knew nothing about the tunnels until the night before the break out, and was given a slip of paper with '203' written on it - sadly, but also fortuitously the tunnel was discovered well before it was his turn.

  10. #10

  11. #11

  12. #12

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Regarding some of the fiction woven into the film:

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...-mark/10911138

  13. #13

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    If you're a flag waving Brit, then yes its probably the best movie ever made

  14. #14

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Hardly an epic. 'Ben Hur' is an epic, or 'Spartacus'.
    The Great Escape is okay for a quiet Sunday afternoon, but an epic it is not.

  15. #15

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    One scene that stuck with me was from an old war film. Near the end of the film two soldiers had to run zig zag across fields to get to safety whilst the japs were behind shooting at them. Any idea what the film was called?
    Too Late The Hero

  16. #16

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Regarding some of the fiction woven into the film:

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...-mark/10911138
    Several Hollywood backed WWII based films made at the time exaggerated the roles of American personnel in the stories, partly to give the actors a higher profile and hopefully a greater box office return.
    The Great Escape being a classic example.

  17. #17

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Several Hollywood backed WWII based films made at the time exaggerated the roles of American personnel in the stories, partly to give the actors a higher profile and hopefully a greater box office return.
    The Great Escape being a classic example.
    Absolutely, Steve McQueen's role being a perfect example.

  18. #18

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    One scene that stuck with me was from an old war film. Near the end of the film two soldiers had to run zig zag across fields to get to safety whilst the japs were behind shooting at them. Any idea what the film was called?
    Too Late The Hero.

    Great film. Michael Caine and a yank whose name escapes me


    Just seen already answered.

  19. #19

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Several Hollywood backed WWII based films made at the time exaggerated the roles of American personnel in the stories, partly to give the actors a higher profile and hopefully a greater box office return.
    The Great Escape being a classic example.
    In the 60s the yanks even made a series called "The Rat Patrol" about an American unit called the Desert Rats fighting Rommel in North Africa.
    British TV cancelled it afer protests just a couple of episodes into its run.

  20. #20

    Re: Of the Epic Films Made

    The Boat. Classic war film viewed from a German angle.
    Failing that Wallace And Gromit- The Wrong Trousers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •