+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: HS2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: HS2

Flying is cheap as we don’t pay tax on airline fuel. If we paid tax on the fuel it fall into line with other transport. However train travel in the UK is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski View Post
    Flying is cheap as we don’t pay tax on airline fuel. If we paid tax on the fuel it fall into line with other transport. However train travel in the UK is too expensive.
    We give train operators billions of taxpayers money which we don't give to airlines.

Airlines don’t pay tax on any of their fuel, so we subsidise in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski View Post
    Airlines don’t pay tax on any of their fuel, so we subsidise in a different way.
    I'm aware of that. I presume the answer lies with global cooperation, so there's little chance of things changing that much. In the UK we charge duties on tickets, that barely covers it and if it rose significantly, would result in lots of people ditching plane travel - not good for those who rely on the speed of it for business and government.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm aware of that. I presume the answer lies with global cooperation, so there's little chance of things changing that much. In the UK we charge duties on tickets, that barely covers it and if it rose significantly, would result in lots of people ditching plane travel - not good for those who rely on the speed of it for business and government.
    Absolutely, not a level playing field or train track even!

What is the solution? I love a train journey and if it was more affordable would use them 100%. Millions must be lost when people like us see the prices and immediately dismiss it and hit the road, madness really.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What is the solution? I love a train journey and if it was more affordable would use them 100%. Millions must be lost when people like us see the prices and immediately dismiss it and hit the road, madness really.
    Renationalising them is a swear word to some, but we pay billions to train operators when they don't make a profit, then when they do, they keep it. The railways cost the taxpayer more in real terms now than they ever did when they were under public ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Renationalising them is a swear word to some, but we pay billions to train operators when they don't make a profit, then when they do, they keep it. The railways cost the taxpayer more in real terms now than they ever did when they were under public ownership.
    It's pretty popular in this country, over 50% in favour with just 12% against

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...blic-ownership