Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
If people are getting wound up by cyclists they shouldn’t be on the road.

If there are parked cars etc how could there be space to safely pass? I imagine what will happen is people will use common sense but I think people knowing cyclists are safer in the middle of a lane is what we should be aiming for.
Why should someone not be wound up if they are late for their kids school or for an important train journey? Theres one train an hour now from my local station - things like that make time more precious. It's understandable someone would get fed up.

And again, Real Politik - you can say they 'shouldnt be on the road' but they are on the road. So it's reckless to just pretend it away.

I cited the parked cars as an example of where someone wouldn't want to be to the side of the lane (due to opening doors), but where its safe to do so, I think cyclists should be.

That said, as I acknowledge, there's misinformation on this thread anyway, and so I'm sure that's what will happen in most instances!

I just think beware the rule of unintended consequences that can come from advising cyclist to go down the middle of lanes, or advising pedestrians they have priority at certain junctions etc