+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Great news

I was reading that in Lviv a lot people still speak Polish, we can't forget that these old Soviet Bloc countries are intricatly linked, many towns on the Romanian border are sat inside Ukraine but the residents are Romanian , road signs are In Romanian etc etc ( some of these towns are 10 - 20 miles inside the border )
    yes there is a lot of mixing in these countries, my work has a factory in Poland, nowhere near the Ukraine border and there are so many Ukrainian workers nthere they put on one shift for polish speakers and one for Ukrainian

Re: The War starts Putin announces "Military Operation" in Ukraine. Explosions heard in Kyiv

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    this Invasion hasn't been the " walk in the park " that many think Putin thought it was going to be ( which is hardly surprising when you look at Maidan revolution, surely Putin didnt think this would be easy ) , with a lot of Ukrainian soldiers having NLAW's on their backs, rolling in tanks isn't going work, so what better way to " win " than gas a city and then wait till it settles and roll in

while we sit around and watch I wonder what the worlds " red line " will be ? ? ? will Chemical weapons be a step too far ? ? ?
    If Russia use them maybe one will be fired back into the ones around Kyiv? An eye for an eye and all that….I imagine the Ukrainians are just waiting for the tanks etc to get close enough to take them out??

It was distressing to hear a Ukrainian saying this morning that Kyik will be Russia's Stalingrad. For all this heroic talk today, I presume he must be aware that the battle for Stalingrad was fought over what was effectively a massive pile of debris and hundreds of thousands of the population were killed apart from many more soldiers on both sides. I have to admire his courage. but can this really be contemplated in 2022? Man's inhumanity to man knows no bounds it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    If Russia use them maybe one will be fired back into the ones around Kyiv? An eye for an eye and all that….I imagine the Ukrainians are just waiting for the tanks etc to get close enough to take them out??
    Imagine the psychological effect on a tank crew when the lead vehicle has just been taken out by a Javelin or NLAW missile?
    Often, the path in front of them becomes blocked. Do they try to go off-road and go around it (possibly getting stuck in mud in the process); do they try and turn around, but then get blocked by the vehicles behind them; or do they remain stationary and risk being hit?

It seems from online footage that the Russians have been choosing another option to the ones I listed above, that is to abandon the vehicle and strip off their military clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    As the Russians turn west, it will be interesting to see if the response / attitude changes. I live around 4 hours from the border and Lviv is an ex Polish city annexed to USSR in 1945. It changed hands 6 times since 1918. There is still a lot of affinity amongst Poles for the city and regular cross border weekends. My friends were married there a couple of years ago.

On a happier note, families of our workforce are starting to take in refugees. I met one family, mother, two daughters & baby. From Kharkiv. Her husband has stayed behind. They were everything you would expect. Exhausted, confused & uncomfortable. The one daughter had only returned from Poland to Ukraine in December to give birth. At least they’re now safe.
    Interesting Des. It must feel sadly close to home.

My sister lives in Berlin and says it is sad watching all these disorientated women and kids arrive each day. 10,000 arriving each day apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

My sister lives in Berlin and says it is sad watching all these disorientated women and kids arrive each day. 10,000 arriving each day apparently.
    ...big concern over traffickers exploiting the situation though.

I think a lot of people (me included) have been watching all these YouTube videos of Russian tanks being blown up, or of long columns of Russian vehicles just sitting aimlessly on the road, and we've been lulled into a false sense that Ukraine are winning this war, and that it is going to end with them kicking those Russian arses out of their country.

But in recent days, I've changed my mind. Despite their valiant efforts, Ukraine is slowly but surely being over-run. They seem to have no answer to Russia's relentless bombing and shelling of their cities, and though they will no doubt make things as difficult as they can for the invaders, it can only end one way.

Russia are not going to back down, and unless Ukraine receives serious military assistance very soon, their country will be destroyed. I like watching the Russian tanks explode as much as the next man, but it's not enough. The Russian artillery can just sit miles away, and shell a city into dust, and into submission. I'm also not sure that Ukraine's policy of 'sitting back and defending' is helping. They need to be more aggressive, to strike back. Anyway, I'm no military expert, but even I can see that this is not going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I think a lot of people (me included) have been watching all these YouTube videos of Russian tanks being blown up, or of long columns of Russian vehicles just sitting aimlessly on the road, and we've been lulled into a false sense that Ukraine are winning this war, and that it is going to end with them kicking those Russian arses out of their country.

But in recent days, I've changed my mind. Despite their valiant efforts, Ukraine is slowly but surely being over-run. They seem to have no answer to Russia's relentless bombing and shelling of their cities, and though they will no doubt make things as difficult as they can for the invaders, it can only end one way.

Russia are not going to back down, and unless Ukraine receives serious military assistance very soon, their country will be destroyed. I like watching the Russian tanks explode as much as the next man, but it's not enough. The Russian artillery can just sit miles away, and shell a city into dust, and into submission. I'm also not sure that Ukraine's policy of 'sitting back and defending' is helping. They need to be more aggressive, to strike back. Anyway, I'm no military expert, but even I can see that this is not going to end well.
    Personally I think/hope that this will end with the Ukrainians fighting the Russians out of their country (or at least the majority of it). But it seems like it's going to be incredibly bloody and horrible. The decision made by Zelensky to stop all males between 16 and 60 leaving is beginning to look like it will potentially cost thousands and thousands of lives. If these city sieges continue the way they are going then God knows how many Ukrainians are going to die. I can understand why he made the decision, but I fear it's going to force lots of people into Stalingrad style situations.

I hope they change it up soon and let anyone who wants to leave go, leave the people who want to fight and make sure they're well equipped. Hopefully then a real nasty insurgency can be fought and they can get rid of the Russians that way.

I know I keep banging on about it, but I would like to see the international community guarantee now that they will move heaven and earth to rebuild Ukraine once this is over.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Appreciate you taking the time to examine this - when people do this on the areas that don't require faith in an Almighty God, they discover that the Bible is accurate in all the sciences it touches on. You and others may assume that people like me have chosen blind faith over reasonable faith; however such an assumption can be proved wrong and always has been by people who care to look - the main reason people don't choose to look in detail is because they have an alternative faith, even though they don't realise this.

Also the last thing they would want, is the guy they've always used as a swear word to BE who He claims to be
    Faith is faith. There is no such thing as "reasonable faith". You are promoting a preposterous cult that has killed millions is its name. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Personally I think/hope that this will end with the Ukrainians fighting the Russians out of their country (or at least the majority of it). But it seems like it's going to be incredibly bloody and horrible. The decision made by Zelensky to stop all males between 16 and 60 leaving is beginning to look like it will potentially cost thousands and thousands of lives. If these city sieges continue the way they are going then God knows how many Ukrainians are going to die. I can understand why he made the decision, but I fear it's going to force lots of people into Stalingrad style situations.

I hope they change it up soon and let anyone who wants to leave go, leave the people who want to fight and make sure they're well equipped. Hopefully then a real nasty insurgency can be fought and they can get rid of the Russians that way.

I know I keep banging on about it, but I would like to see the international community guarantee now that they will move heaven and earth to rebuild Ukraine once this is over.
    I think many of them wanted to stay. Big question is will the dictator flatten Kyiv aswell? The jewel in the crown? Is there any point taking over a country where nothing is left and all the remaining people detest you and will probably try and kill as many occupying Russians as they can for the rest of time……weird

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I think many of them wanted to stay. Big question is will the dictator flatten Kyiv aswell? The jewel in the crown? Is there any point taking over a country where nothing is left and all the remaining people detest you and will probably try and kill as many occupying Russians as they can for the rest of time……weird
    or is it just a warning to other countries to what will happen, really think Putin fancies the USSR making a comeback tour

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

As I said in an earlier post this could indeed be a Stalingrad situation with defenders fighting attackers over heaps of rubble with massive casualties on both sides. My heart wants the Ukrainians to come out on top but my head says the Russians have overwhelming power. However I read that at Stalingrad it is estimated that around 750,000 soldiers from the German army died and nearly 500,000 Russians, so the Russians who were the defenders then came out on top despite being outnumbered by the combined German and Romanian armies. The numbers though are frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The world is behind Ukraine. There’ll be heaps of investment and I see the country rising stronger than before.
    I think there’s potential for tech companies to get investing there, seeing as a lot of Ukrainians are great at hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post

The railway stations are becoming the hubs as people move away from the borders. There are thousands arriving, around 50:50 women & kids. It appears that locals register that they can take refugees and get allotted a family or group within a few days. I don’t know what’s happening when people just arrive at the station (because there are so many)

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Faith is faith. There is no such thing as "reasonable faith". You are promoting a preposterous cult that has killed millions is its name. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    There is 'reasonable faith' in many walks of life, so your comment makes no sense. Your unwillingness to even discuss the issue show that you fear you may be wrong and would rather not know either way.

However if I am wrong and you HAVE already REASONABLY concluded that faith in God and the Bible is crazy, then why don't you help RJK, Taunton Blue Genie and Delmbox who have been unable to answer the question raised a couple of days ago; I've reduced it to 2 examples to make it more straightforward.

Here is one verse from the Old Testament: Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. (from Zechariah 14:12)

And one from the New Testament: While you earnestly look for and await the coming of the day of God. For on this day the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the [material] elements will melt with intense heat! (2 Peter 3:12)

These are 2 examples from many where the Bible speaks of future events. Even 100 years ago in 1922, none of our ancestors would have understood HOW either of the above could actually happen, however in very recent times we now have the knowledge of how they could easily happen.

So tell me this, how did (1) Zechariah (520BC), (2) Peter (60AD) actually write about these things with words that only make sense to readers from the 1940's onwards? (Atomic Bomb).

There is 'reasonable faith' in many walks of life, so your comment makes no sense. Your unwillingness to even discuss the issue show that you fear you may be wrong and would rather not know either way.

However if I am wrong and you HAVE already REASONABLY concluded that faith in God and the Bible is crazy, then why don't you help RJK, Taunton Blue Genie and Delmbox who have been unable to answer the question raised a couple of days ago; I've reduced it to 2 examples to make it more straightforward.

Here is one verse from the Old Testament: Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. (from Zechariah 14:12)

And one from the New Testament: While you earnestly look for and await the coming of the day of God. For on this day the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the [material] elements will melt with intense heat! (2 Peter 3:12)

These are 2 examples from many where the Bible speaks of future events. Even 100 years ago in 1922, none of our ancestors would have understood HOW either of the above could actually happen, however in very recent times we now have the knowledge of how they could easily happen.

So tell me this, how did (1) Zechariah (520BC), (2) Peter (60AD) actually write about these things with words that only make sense to readers from the 1940's onwards? (Atomic Bomb).
    A meteorite maybe.

Sorry, what modern day events are you saying that these prophesied?

Just talking about great plagues and fires aren’t they? Things that happened a lot back in the old days…..

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    A meteorite maybe.
    Volcanos?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Volcanos?
    any sort of big fire, leprosy was a big one back in the day as well wasn't it. But yeah, the Bible predicted nukes

Is Russell Brand a help or a hindrance? Here he discusses the Ukraine Bio Lab conspiracy theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCr7zkPAm1Y

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Is Russell Brand a help or a hindrance? Here he discusses the Ukraine Bio Lab conspiracy theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCr7zkPAm1Y
    I don't think he's either is he? Just some actor on youtube, hardly relevant

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    any sort of big fire, leprosy was a big one back in the day as well wasn't it. But yeah, the Bible predicted nukes
    There’s always some fruit loop talking about stuff like this in the middle of Queen street….

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Oswald, these are serious matters. We will all know in less than 30 hours whether this dire warning is accurate or not.
    I'm going to say not. But maybe the lizards weren't quite ready.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm going to say not. But maybe the lizards weren't quite ready.
    I think that most of us knew within 30 seconds that some fruit loops YouTube channel wasn't really privy to any confidential information from the American secret services.