+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

6 foot
    16 stone
    Fairly big build , doctor wants me to drop two stone if possible as my blood sugar is pre diabetic

So , diet wise I know what to avoid and what to eat etc

I am not going to be building any muscle mass at all at my age so heavy gym work is out ......thank feck as I hate the gym

I don't enjoy cycling and can't swim like I used to .....my ankle is reconstructed so no running , 5 a side

I thought plenty of walking , some pilates and yoga classes ?

Mixed in with some basic dumbells and home exercises ?

Anyone got any decent links , there's absolutely stacks out there and I don't know where to start

Re: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

Calorie deficit.

Walking.

Have you got a garage or somewhere you can put a heavy bag.?

Kettlebells and slam ball exercises good to get the heart rate up and burn calories. Not too expensive to buy.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    6 foot
    16 stone
    Fairly big build , doctor wants me to drop two stone if possible as my blood sugar is pre diabetic

I am not going to be building any muscle mass at all at my age so heavy gym work is out ......thank feck as I hate the gym

I don't enjoy cycling and can't swim like I used to .....my ankle is reconstructed so no running , 5 a side

Anyone got any decent links , there's absolutely stacks out there and I don't know where to start
    Walk up and down Mountains, it's still easy but miles better than walking on boring flat car polluting pavements, it will involve more effort and get your heart working and will lift your spirits and make you happier

A mate has had some good results with regular short high intensity workouts - 7-10 mins (there are plenty of apps) coupled with long walks when he can fit them in with a hot bath afterwards which extends the calorie burning and drops blood sugar levels.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Walk up and down Mountains, it's still easy but miles better than walking on boring flat car polluting pavements, it will involve more effort and get your heart working and will lift your spirits and make you happier
    I used to wear a nun's outfit and climb mountains, like Julie Andrews, but haven't done it for ages. Perhaps I should get back into the habit.

Exercise is obviously good for you, and I'm assuming you're being told to lose weight to lower the risk of a heart disease. So walking is a great start. It's also great for your mental health, especially if you've got some good podcasts to listen to.

Don't dismiss weights, either. You don't have to turn into Arnie and go full on gym bro, but lifting weights is proven to be more beneficial for weight loss than cardio. Just take it easy and know your limits.

That said, it doesn't matter how much exercise you do, as the majority of weight loss is achieved in the kitchen, not the gym. If your GP can refer you to a dietician who can create a diet plan for you, great. If not, avoid added sugars like the plague, cut down on portion sizes, and avoid things that are high in fat. And drink a lot more water.

The key here isn't to achieve the goal of losing 2 stone, it's to make subtle changes in your lifestyle that become habits. Otherwise you'll lose the 2 stone and then just revert back to type.

6 foot
    16 stone

Good for you.

My advice is go to a supermarket and buy lots of chicken, salmon, porridge, salad, sweet potatoes, veg etc. It's much easier to do if you eat when hungry, but just eat well. Having a lot of food in the house helps in that respect. An empty fridge just makes a trip to spar for a pasty or chocolate bar more likely

It can get boring, but chicken breast is great and you can make loads of good meals with that as a base.

Walk as default - it's surprising how quick it can be to get around

Run if you can, or in your case swim or cycle. - even doing a lap of the park and stopping 5 times, within a week you'll be stopping twice, then not stopping, then doing 2 laps, then running longer distances

Cut out booze, sugar, bread, processed food. Even just during the week.

Weigh yourself regularly so you can see the progress being made. You may be surprised how well it goes.

Good luck and good for you!!!

I've done this myself and would be happy to send recipes if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Calorie deficit.

Walking.

Have you got a garage or somewhere you can put a heavy bag.?

Kettlebells and slam ball exercises good to get the heart rate up and burn calories. Not too expensive to buy.
    Are kettleballs better than dumbells ?

It's not going to be easy for me mate , it's going to kill me

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A mate has had some good results with regular short high intensity workouts - 7-10 mins (there are plenty of apps) coupled with long walks when he can fit them in with a hot bath afterwards which extends the calorie burning and drops blood sugar levels.
    Will have a look thanks

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I used to wear a nun's outfit and climb mountains, like Julie Andrews, but haven't done it for ages. Perhaps I should get back into the habit.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Exercise is obviously good for you, and I'm assuming you're being told to lose weight to lower the risk of a heart disease. So walking is a great start. It's also great for your mental health, especially if you've got some good podcasts to listen to.

Don't dismiss weights, either. You don't have to turn into Arnie and go full on gym bro, but lifting weights is proven to be more beneficial for weight loss than cardio. Just take it easy and know your limits.

That said, it doesn't matter how much exercise you do, as the majority of weight loss is achieved in the kitchen, not the gym. If your GP can refer you to a dietician who can create a diet plan for you, great. If not, avoid added sugars like the plague, cut down on portion sizes, and avoid things that are high in fat. And drink a lot more water.

The key here isn't to achieve the goal of losing 2 stone, it's to make subtle changes in your lifestyle that become habits. Otherwise you'll lose the 2 stone and then just revert back to type.
    I don't mind doing weights , it's heading down the gym 4 times a week I won't hack

Some basic home weights work will be fine

Are kettleballs better than dumbells ?
    No just different. Ive just got 1 kettlebell. Generally use it for a more cardio type workout and use dumbells for weight training.

I agree though weight loss the kitchen should be number 1 priority.

International

It's not going to be easy for me mate , it's going to kill me
    OK mate, small hills to start with and build up to steeper hills and small Mountains, the Wenallts a good place to start and when it gets dark you may be able to lose a few pounds dogging?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Good for you.

My advice is go to a supermarket and buy lots of chicken, salmon, porridge, salad, sweet potatoes, veg etc. It's much easier to do if you eat when hungry, but just eat well. Having a lot of food in the house helps in that respect. An empty fridge just makes a trip to spar for a pasty or chocolate bar more likely

It can get boring, but chicken breast is great and you can make loads of good meals with that as a base.

Walk as default - it's surprising how quick it can be to get around

Run if you can, or in your case swim or cycle. - even doing a lap of the park and stopping 5 times, within a week you'll be stopping twice, then not stopping, then doing 2 laps, then running longer distances

Cut out booze, sugar, bread, processed food. Even just during the week.

Weigh yourself regularly so you can see the progress being made. You may be surprised how well it goes.

Good luck and good for you!!!

I've done this myself and would be happy to send recipes if you like.
    Yes that's fine mate

I bought some Quorn the other day and had a stir fry , bit bland but it's better than a Chinese take away 🙃

No just different. Ive just got 1 kettlebell. Generally use it for a more cardio type workout and use dumbells for weight training.

I agree though weight loss the kitchen should be number 1 priority.
    Right what size kettleball would I need .....for cardio work .......not going to be competing with Arnie

6 foot
    16 stone

Get a punch bag and do a few non stop 2 to 3 minute rounds. Walking at a fast pace not a stroll. Weight training but it doesn't have to be heavy weights just do more reps with a lighter weigh..

OK mate, small hills to start with and build up to steeper hills and small Mountains, the Wenallts a good place to start and when it gets dark you may be able to lose a few pounds dogging?
    I am not into any of that smutty nonsense

Generally

International

I am not into any of that smutty nonsense

Generally
    Ha ha oh yes, salad dodger not dogger sorry

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Get a punch bag and do a few non stop 2 to 3 minute rounds. Walking at a fast pace not a stroll. Weight training but it doesn't have to be heavy weights just do more reps with a lighter weigh..
    Just dumbells stan or a barbell ?

Can you get barbells you don't have to add weights to ?

move more eat less

Right what size kettleball would I need .....for cardio work .......not going to be competing with Arnie
    Not sure how strong/fit you are. Maybe try a 10kg.

Calorie deficit is key.

Get your self a tidy app, I use "My Net Diary".
    Figure out the amount you want to lose over which time line, then track your foods.

It seems like a nuisance at first but it very quickly becomes second nature.

I've been doing so well last couple of months, back on the scales after a week in Wales drinking and eating what I wanted and 4lbs added on!

Seriously, though Calorie counting is where it's at.
    You can still have great food, but it teaches you portion control.
    I tend to eat lots of protein through Beans and
    Lentils, some Dahls are epic!

Good luck, you will feel better for it!

Not sure how strong/fit you are. Maybe try a 10kg.
    Strong , not fit

Argos , E bay ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Calorie deficit is key.

Get your self a tidy app, I use "My Net Diary".
    Figure out the amount you want to lose over which time line, then track your foods.

It seems like a nuisance at first but it very quickly becomes second nature.

I've been doing so well last couple of months, back on the scales after a week in Wales drinking and eating what I wanted and 4lbs added on!

Seriously, though Calorie counting is where it's at.
    You can still have great food, but it teaches you portion control.
    I tend to eat lots of protein through Beans and
    Lentils, some Dahls are epic!

Good luck, you will feel better for it!
    Thanks mate

Bread , rice , bananas , potatoes , all got to go

I am going to miss my done kebabs though 😢

I was told to buy a potatoe substitute from the celery family and use it in chicken chunky soups

But what's a soup without a bread roll ?

There is a low carb bread out there , 3 quid a loaf !