+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: It's time to get fitter and shape up ......advice for a salad dodger please

move more eat less

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    move more eat less
    This.

Consuming fewer calories and burning more off is the only way. You have to be disciplined but you can still cheat every now and then. Count yourself lucky you don't drink.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Right what size kettleball would I need .....for cardio work .......not going to be competing with Arnie
    Not sure how strong/fit you are. Maybe try a 10kg.

Calorie deficit is key.

Get your self a tidy app, I use "My Net Diary".
    Figure out the amount you want to lose over which time line, then track your foods.

It seems like a nuisance at first but it very quickly becomes second nature.

I've been doing so well last couple of months, back on the scales after a week in Wales drinking and eating what I wanted and 4lbs added on!

Seriously, though Calorie counting is where it's at.
    You can still have great food, but it teaches you portion control.
    I tend to eat lots of protein through Beans and
    Lentils, some Dahls are epic!

Good luck, you will feel better for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Not sure how strong/fit you are. Maybe try a 10kg.
    Strong , not fit

Argos , E bay ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Calorie deficit is key.

Get your self a tidy app, I use "My Net Diary".
    Figure out the amount you want to lose over which time line, then track your foods.

It seems like a nuisance at first but it very quickly becomes second nature.

I've been doing so well last couple of months, back on the scales after a week in Wales drinking and eating what I wanted and 4lbs added on!

Seriously, though Calorie counting is where it's at.
    You can still have great food, but it teaches you portion control.
    I tend to eat lots of protein through Beans and
    Lentils, some Dahls are epic!

Good luck, you will feel better for it!
    Thanks mate

Bread , rice , bananas , potatoes , all got to go

I am going to miss my done kebabs though 😢

I was told to buy a potatoe substitute from the celery family and use it in chicken chunky soups

But what's a soup without a bread roll ?

There is a low carb bread out there , 3 quid a loaf !

Not much more I can add to the above really.

I'm now 50 but this time last year I weighed around 17.5 stone (I'm 6'2). I've since lost six stone, partly through a change in diet but mainly walking. I'd started going for little walks during lockdown, just to get out of the kitchen and away from the laptop. I was aiming at 8k a day, but now do 20k a day (which is around 7-8 miles). I try to do it in three chunks - early morning pre-work, lunchtime and evening. Finding the right Podcasts has been essential, as once you get into the right one, you forget you're exercising. It's also been great finding new routes, paths, shortcuts etc in and around the area I've lived all my life, that I never knew existed. It can feel like a chore sometimes, either when the weather is bad or when (in my case) you realise at 11pm you've done 19.5k steps and you end up trudging aimlessly around the house for 10 minutes to get to 20k. It has become an obsession, but one that will hopefully be of benefit.

Definitely weigh yourself regularly as with the right diet - I cut out my lifelong favourites such as pasties, pies, sausage rolls and, in particular, crisps - and plenty of exercise, the weight will definitely come off. One note of caution, it may cost you a few quid as I've had to pretty much invest in a new wardrobe for anything that didn't involve my feet!

Good luck

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post

I'm now 50 but this time last year I weighed around 17.5 stone (I'm 6'2). I've since lost six stone, partly through a change in diet but mainly walking. I'd started going for little walks during lockdown, just to get out of the kitchen and away from the laptop. I was aiming at 8k a day, but now do 20k a day (which is around 7-8 miles). I try to do it in three chunks - early morning pre-work, lunchtime and evening. Finding the right Podcasts has been essential, as once you get into the right one, you forget you're exercising. It's also been great finding new routes, paths, shortcuts etc in and around the area I've lived all my life, that I never knew existed. It can feel like a chore sometimes, either when the weather is bad or when (in my case) you realise at 11pm you've done 19.5k steps and you end up trudging aimlessly around the house for 10 minutes to get to 20k. It has become an obsession, but one that will hopefully be of benefit.

Definitely weigh yourself regularly as with the right diet - I cut out my lifelong favourites such as pasties, pies, sausage rolls and, in particular, crisps - and plenty of exercise, the weight will definitely come off. One note of caution, it may cost you a few quid as I've had to pretty much invest in a new wardrobe for anything that didn't involve my feet!

Good luck
    From Google

In general, a 155-pound (70-kg) person who walks at 3.5 mph (5.6 kph) on a flat surface for 1 hour can burn approximately 267 calories. If they keep the same speed but walk uphill, they could burn up to 422 calories. As you are heavier the numbers would increase quite a bit. At first to lose pounds will be easy, it will obviosly get harder after a few months.

You get the idea, in the same time you could burn much more calories or travel a much shorter distance to reach your calorie burning goal

Buy an applewatch of fitbit or alternative too!

Good luck
    20k is 12.42 miles per day. No wonder you’ve lost 6 stone, that’s very good mileage

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    20k is 12.42 miles per day. No wonder you’ve lost 6 stone, that’s very good mileage
    Good point. Just realised I forgot to reference the daily 8k and 20k as steps!

Good luck
    Well done mate. Great effort. Wish i could do the same.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Well done mate. Great effort. Wish i could do the same.
    Spedger

Thanks mate

Bread , rice , bananas , potatoes , all got to go

I am going to miss my done kebabs though 😢

I was told to buy a potatoe substitute from the celery family and use it in chicken chunky soups

But what's a soup without a bread roll ?

There is a low carb bread out there , 3 quid a loaf !
    Rice and Potatoes don't have to go, just have to be moderated in how much you eat them and the portion size.

I use Pita Bread instead of regular bread for sarnies, they are under 100 calories in many cases and are satiating.

Honestly Mate it isn't as hard or intimidating as you would think.

Good luck
    Well done , give that man a cigar

Even a stone off would be great and good to know you have shifted a lot just through walking which I know I can stick to

Cheers

Even a stone off would be great and good to know you have shifted a lot just through walking which I know I can stick to

Cheers
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384933794...3ABFBMiP-Mvqhg

I have one of these from bought from this ebay seller and so have a few of my mates. My missus bought one off the same seller last week to.
    No issues and i love mine..

Cheers
    I work in a leisure centre with free access to two gyms however, they just don't do it for me, even though I know the gym is a great avenue for getting healthier and losing weight. We're all different but walking has worked for me. Hopefully it does for you too, as it's the easiest, cheapest and most basic form of exercise out there.....if we're keeping this clean

Strong , not fit

Argos , E bay ?
    I dont use Ebay but you may find a better deal there than shops. If your near a Tesco or a Tesco extra youll probably find them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Rice and Potatoes don't have to go, just have to be moderated in how much you eat them and the portion size.

I use Pita Bread instead of regular bread for sarnies, they are under 100 calories in many cases and are satiating.

Honestly Mate it isn't as hard or intimidating as you would think.
    I will get back to you on that

I am trying to be realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont use Ebay but you may find a better deal there than shops. If your near a Tesco or a Tesco extra youll probably find them there.
    OK mate 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    was that one of the supermarket stirfry sauce thngs? they are horribly bland

So easy to make a good healthy stirfry as tasty as a takeaway one - probably helps that my wife is from China though.

She eats 4 or 5 cooked meals a day and just doesn't put on any weight - if you believe her this is down to not drinking any cold drinks, and avoiding carbs in the evening.
    But then she also genuinely believes that there are ghosts in the house that are making the fridge make a funny noise sometimes, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
    Your wife is clearly a mentalist

Get rid of her

Yes it was a packet stir fry sauce , like piss although hopefully not actually piss

Your wife is clearly a mentalist

Get rid of her

Yes it was a packet stir fry sauce , like piss although hopefully not actually piss
    Yeah she's absolutely a mentallist

Those packet stir fry sauces are an abomination

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Those packet stir fry sauces are an abomination
    And often more than 25% sugar. Give them a miss. If we are having stir fry in our house, I just do my own version flavoured with 5 spice; chilli/garlic/ginger; a bit of soy and a lug of sesame oil. It's not authentic anything, but it tastes a lot better than the stuff from the sachets and has materially no carbs.

2000 calories a day, track it on My Fitness Pal. Walk 10,000 steps a day, weight will drop off you

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    From Google

In general, a 155-pound (70-kg) person who walks at 3.5 mph (5.6 kph) on a flat surface for 1 hour can burn approximately 267 calories. If they keep the same speed but walk uphill, they could burn up to 422 calories. As you are heavier the numbers would increase quite a bit. At first to lose pounds will be easy, it will obviosly get harder after a few months.

You get the idea, in the same time you could burn much more calories or travel a much shorter distance to reach your calorie burning goal

Buy an applewatch of fitbit or alternative too!
    I would not want to lose more than 2 stone or so

I would look odd

Or odder

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This.

Consuming fewer calories and burning more off is the only way. You have to be disciplined but you can still cheat every now and then. Count yourself lucky you don't drink.
    My diet is the key

It's basically dreadful

Tonight I am having pan fried chicken in mushrooms with spinach