The argument against uncontrolled immigration (which we no longer have..not withstanding the controversy on the south coast) is that it is near impossible to plan public services for.

When we had net immigration of 300,000 a year or so, that essentially is a city the size of Cardiff. Cardiff has what - 180,000 dwellings? 20 secondary schools? 100 primaries? 100 doctor surgeries? 3 hospitals? 10 miles of motorway? 20 train stations, 500 bus stops? 100 substations? 25 libraries? The list goes on. When you have very little idea about where people are going, when they are coming how long they will be here for etc, it is very difficult to plan for things, especially when all of the above infrastructure takes years and years to plan and build. And just to stand still the country needed to build all that, every year.

For me, it often felt like we were playing catch up and generally public services seemed to be in decline. And there's numerous factors into that, notably austerity, but I don't think a totally laissez-faire unlimited approach to immigration helped if I am entirely honest.

Managed immigration is probably better.