+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Jeremy Hunt when Health Secretary had huge interests in private health companies

He's a snake

All the Tories are snakes
    I'm not really into the Labour/Tory pantomime that you seem to love and really believe in. Brexit aside there's little between them. Having said that didn't a lot more Labour MPs do prison time for fraud? I read it on here the other day so it must be true.
    Is Tony Blair a snake with all his war lies and money making endevours?

Re: Have The Tories Come A Long Way ( Are They More Diverse Than Other Parties )

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Bravo Delmbox. So it's not the best man or woman for the job then?
    Johnson has been the PM for three years, so clearly notm

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Johnson has been the PM for three years, so clearly notm
    Ypur personal opinion of Boris is irrelevant to the point that Delmbox made.
    I have my issues with Boris and the fake Conservatives currently running the Tory party.
    But Boris is a highly gifted brain and won a landslide GE, who are you to argue with that? he essentially had to quit because some gay guy groped another man, such is the wokeness of politics today.

I have my issues with Boris and the fake Conservatives currently running the Tory party.
    But Boris is a highly gifted brain and won a landslide GE, who are you to argue with that? he essentially had to quit because some gay guy groped another man, such is the wokeness of politics today.
    “A highly gifted brain” . If you’re the type who is impressed by verbose, rambling, deceitful and self indulgent wordplay maybe you could think that, but you’re missing the point. Johnson didn’t have to go because “some gay guy groped another man” , it was because of how he dealt with the fall out from some gay guy groping another man as the line about what Johnson knew and didn’t know changed almost by the hour over a period of days until in the end, this “highly gifted brain” had got himself into a position where his defence became that he had forgotten something he’d been told concerning Mr Pincher - this after, not for the first time, Cabinet members had been sent out to meet the media to maintain a line that had, in one case, changed while they were doing the media rounds.

Come on though, it’s not Johnson’s brain that really pushes your buttons is it. He’s a fine figure of a man (well compared to some of us he is) and that mane of golden hair! He’s almost Aryan isn’t he! The sort of “beautiful” native Briton (well Yank in his case) you were getting so excited about in another thread - no cross breeding there eh!

Johnson was the best person to lead the Tories in the election. He's since proven himself not to be the best person to be PM.

Is it just my personal opinion? Well let's see.

He was running increasingly bad numbers in polling, with the majority of people wanting him out by the end.

In a vote of confidence, he narrowly won but the majority of his own backbenchers wanted him out. He had enough ministers to get him over the line, but within weeks 50+ of them had resigned - even ones that he had appointed hours earlier!

So yeah, I'm pretty ok with my personal opinion on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Not that this is of great importance, but I do quite fancy Penny Mordaunt.
    Yes she has a naughty look 49 pretty lady , love the hair , like a nice head of hair , if she comes up short she might be good a good chief whip with sex pest Chris Heaton-Harris gone

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    “A highly gifted brain” . If you’re the type who is impressed by verbose, rambling, deceitful and self indulgent wordplay maybe you could think that, but you’re missing the point. Johnson didn’t have to go because “some gay guy groped another man” , it was because of how he dealt with the fall out from some gay guy groping another man as the line about what Johnson knew and didn’t know changed almost by the hour over a period of days until in the end, this “highly gifted brain” had got himself into a position where his defence became that he had forgotten something he’d been told concerning Mr Pincher - this after, not for the first time, Cabinet members had been sent out to meet the media to maintain a line that had, in one case, changed while they were doing the media rounds.

Come on though, it’s not Johnson’s brain that really pushes your buttons is it. He’s a fine figure of a man (well compared to some of us he is) and that mane of golden hair! He’s almost Aryan isn’t he! The sort of “beautiful” native Briton (well Yank in his case) you were getting so excited about in another thread - no cross breeding there eh!
    Hello Bob, Listening to a programme on radio 4 this week, many Boris's former teachers said he was the quickest learner they taught. IQ in it's purest form is ability to learn. He's an oxbridge graduate who stood out, even back then for his ability during debates. I don't think many, even his opponents doubt his intellect. Suggesting that i think he's intelligent because he has blonde hair is just silly and not worth a full response. The anti brexit media have completely wound you up into a frenzy over Boris. As if Starmer would be allowed by international finance to dramatically alter course from the Tories. He wouldn't be allowed. Starmer is Tory-lite whose economic policies would probably closely mirror Boris's, all you'd get with Labour is more woke crap. The real change candidate for Labour was Corbyn but the zionist media, which you gorge on daily destroyed Corbyn. Do you think Corbyn was anti semetic? In the past I've seen you suggest that you think he was...

Johnson was the best person to lead the Tories in the election. He's since proven himself not to be the best person to be PM.

He was running increasingly bad numbers in polling, with the majority of people wanting him out by the end.

In a vote of confidence, he narrowly won but the majority of his own backbenchers wanted him out. He had enough ministers to get him over the line, but within weeks 50+ of them had resigned - even ones that he had appointed hours earlier!

Most prime ministers get ousted out in the end. It's the nature of the job. Doesn't mean they weren't fit for office.
    In a democracy the best person to lead the country is the one who wins a GE. Unless you don't agree with "the wisdom of crowds" and democracy...

He would've still beaten Starmer in a GE, which is why Labour were desperate for him to go

Most prime ministers get ousted out in the end. It's the nature of the job. Doesn't mean they weren't fit for office.
    In a democracy the best person to lead the country is the one who wins a GE. Unless you don't agree with "the wisdom of crowds" and democracy...

He would've still beaten Starmer in a GE, which is why Labour were desperate for him to go
    You stick to your guns mate

The Tories will miss his campaigning skills , highly intelligent , barmy , lazy , funny , annoying , doesn't care about rules ,happy to upset folk , doesn't think or care happy to use unfortunate descriptions of people ( like a footy /pub lad thing ) which he describes as being "wholly satirical," while others have been taken out of context. there areas some truths to that as the pillar box one was where he was defencing ( badly )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...burqa-comments

https://www.businessinsider.com/bori...19-6?r=US&IR=T

I can see lads/men saying stuff like this back in the day :

"The unanimous opinion is that what has been called the 'Tottymeter' reading is higher than at any Labour Party conference in living memory," he wrote.

He added that: "Time and again the 'Tottymeter' has gone off as a young woman delegate mounts the rostrum."

He has a runaway mouth another classic He once said, 'Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts' if anyone thinks that it is nothing but banter then they have never been out for few pints and fecked up themselves

Do I hate him ( no )
    Was he the right PM at the time ( yes the alternative opposition leader was dreadful )
    Would I have a pint with him (oh yes )
    Have I met him yes briefly ( mad as a box of frogs )
    Did he do good stuff as PM in exceptionally difficult times (yes)
    Was he a different type of PM (oh yes)
    Is he lazy and hates detail ( yes ,and a reason for his downfall )
    Did he make stupid baffling decision ( oh yes )
    Was he too loyal to the sext pests and others who let him down badly oh yes ( way too loyal )
    Did he have to go yes as he is tainted by the past .
    Was he too soft on how No 10 was run ( yep, you cant be a PM and nice, ask Blair or Brown , as some folk can smell a weakness and take advantage and power brings feck wits )

What struck me everyone knows the above way before he was PM , and he still romped to a 80 seat majority with broken politcial party and pulled in opposition votes, a lot was down to Brexit ,n anti Terresa May , Corbyn ,Diane Abbott , anti-Semitism , but a lot was down to him being liked for who he was .

Now he has gone and Sir Keir's and a big vote winner has gone , how will that play out I wonder ???
    Last edited by life on mars; 14-07-22 at 07:53. Reason: i'm useless

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The Tories will miss his campaigning skills , highly intelligent , barmy , lazy , funny , annoying , doesn't care about rules ,happy to upset folk , doesn't think or care happy to use unfortunate descriptions of people ( like a footy /pub lad thing ) which he describes as being "wholly satirical," while others have been taken out of context. there areas some truths to that as the pillar box one was where he was defencing ( badly )

I can see lads/men saying stuff like this back in the day
    You have to wonder who reached this conclusion at the time of the burka quote:

It's not even a funny joke it was a insult in case anyone has forgotten he then followed it up with a suggestion about bank robbers , it's a typical white upper class twit jibe ,which they think they can make out of some deluded thought born from being a toff , were all supposed to say ,oh silly old Boris, or silky old Prince Phillip , there upper class snobs and arrogant with it.

Most of us, although not supportive of the gear they wear as it is suppressing womanhood in its very nature, and I'm guessing a lot would not be allowed out if not worn, would never utter these Boris type views , his privalge allows him to get away with it ,in this age of disliking foreigners.
    Last edited by cyril evans awaydays; 14-07-22 at 09:22. Reason: LoM is useless

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    More "Whack-a-Mole" stuff. They keep coming back for more, don't they?

Bravo Delmbox. So it's not the best man or woman for the job then?
    When has it ever been the best man or woman for the job?!

But also assuming that that is the case, I'm sorry to ruin your attempt at a gotcha but I didn't say our leader, I said our leadership, which means that the people in charge should be from a diverse mix of backgrounds, so it's a good thing that the group of people in charge from which the leader will be picked from is diverse. You obviously think that 8 white men would be better but you're just filled with anger, resentment and prejudice so who cares

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I don't think the Tories will miss Johnson now because he ceased to be Johnson. He became a damaged brand. I do think that parties need a variety of different types of politician, and a 'Johnson-type', ie broadly jovial, friendly, un-PC, shoots from the hip, imperfect, gets things done, blah de blah does have a role to play and we will miss that character, but I think his brand was trashed, not entirely fairly IMO, but thats how it is.

Will be interesting to see what kind of cabinet the new leader builds, because someone fitting that role is useful, and key to retaining some of the appeal Johnson offered. In terms of the critique of identity politics, Kemi Badenoch does offer some of that, and it will be interesting to see generally white, generally middle class, left wingers get their heads in a spin being confused at the identity game they helped to create.

I don't think the Tories will miss Johnson now because he ceased to be Johnson.
    People may have stopped falling for it, but Johnson was Johnson from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    People may have stopped falling for it, but Johnson was Johnson from beginning to end.
    Precisely. As is often the case in life, the ability to ascend to a position does not always correlate with the ability to perform effectively in that position - and it is often the case with 'populist' candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Precisely. As is often the case in life, the ability to ascend to a position does not always correlate with the ability to perform effectively in that position - and it is often the case with 'populist' candidates.
    The Peter Principle.

I don't think the Tories will miss Johnson now because he ceased to be Johnson. He became a damaged brand. I do think that parties need a variety of different types of politician, and a 'Johnson-type', ie broadly jovial, friendly, un-PC, shoots from the hip, imperfect, gets things done, blah de blah does have a role to play and we will miss that character, but I think his brand was trashed, not entirely fairly IMO, but thats how it is.

Will be interesting to see what kind of cabinet the new leader builds, because someone fitting that role is useful, and key to retaining some of the appeal Johnson offered. In terms of the critique of identity politics, Kemi Badenoch does offer some of that, and it will be interesting to see generally white, generally middle class, left wingers get their heads in a spin being confused at the identity game they helped to create.
    No party needs a Johnson type.

No party needs a Johnson type.
    Well great swathes of the popultion would say they are tired of politicians who aren't themselves, have little personality and are afraid to say it 'as they see it', so I do think there is a need for that type of politician tbh, but certainly they won't appeal to everyone.

Well great swathes of the popultion would say they are tired of politicians who aren't themselves, have little personality and are afraid to say it 'as they see it', so I do think there is a need for that type of politician tbh, but certainly they won't appeal to everyone.
    The man who "says it like he sees it"

The man who famously prepared a leave and remain article in the telegraph shortly before deciding to back leave.

Whatever you say, Boris is a compulsive liar and is a man of limited ethics. He has a history of deceit and not being a team player. I don't think there is a 'need' for that type of politician.

The man who "says it like he sees it"

The man who famously prepared a leave and remain article in the telegraph shortly before deciding to back leave.
    Nothing wrong with that IMO. I could write an essay on the benefits of leaving or remaining in the EU.

I'm not talking about Boris Johnson himself. I've said his time has passed - I'm saying that successful parties have a range of personality types to appeal to different people. Boris Johnson has a style that appealed to people to many - many are also attracted to (for example) Angela Rayner or John Prescott or even Jeremy Corbyn for the same reason.

You pack a party full of dull technocrats and see how well it does..

Nothing wrong with that IMO. I could write an essay on the benefits of leaving or remaining in the EU.

I'm not talking about Boris Johnson himself. I've said his time has passed - I'm saying that successful parties have a range of personality types to appeal to different people. Boris Johnson has a style that appealed to people to many - many are also attracted to (for example) Angela Rayner or John Prescott or even Jeremy Corbyn for the same reason.

You pack a party full of dull technocrats and see how well it does..
    I guess there's subtlety and nuance about those two 'essays' that you haven't picked up on, which surprises me as you're proud of having those traits.

Johnson wasn’t that type of politician, besides all of his moral faults, he was also widely regarded to just go along with what the last person who spoke to him on any given subject thought - the man has never ever made me laugh and, as far as I can see, his strong point, campaigning, consisted of nothing more than him going around wearing daft clothes, giving a thumbs up sign and gurning. I’m prepared to admit that my complete disregard for the man probably means that I don’t recognise that he is an effective campaigner, but, apart from that, he’s a man with very few political skills - we’ve just lived through a real life version of the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Johnson wasn’t that type of politician, besides all of his moral faults, he was also widely regarded to just go along with what the last person who spoke to him on any given subject thought - the man has never ever made me laugh and, as far as I can see, his strong point, campaigning, consisted of nothing more than him going around wearing daft clothes, giving a thumbs up sign and gurning. I’m prepared to admit that my complete disregard for the man probably means that I don’t recognise that he is an effective campaigner, but, apart from that, he’s a man with very few political skills - we’ve just lived through a real life version of the Emperor’s New Clothes.
    He was the creation of the opposition and another populist , you could argue one populist created the other , or vis versa ,either way they are the same if you strip out the left and right argument the article below from a left leaning paper is well crafted .

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-democracy-mps

The campaign to re-elect Corbyn is populist to its core. It is based on the absoluteness of the “democratic mandate” given by Labour members and supporters, which renders null and void any dissent from Labour’s “elites” in Westminster or Brussels. It means that Corbyn does not even need the support of the MPs he is supposed to be leading in the House of Commons. To do anything other than “get behind the leader” is to thwart the will of Labour’s people. Corbyn warmly talks of “reaching out”, but those who take his hand must be willing to be led by it.

This is populism in its purest form, with the people as the final and best judges. Its simplistic purity obscures the complex messiness of real political problems, the greatest of which is that an effective opposition leader needs to command the support of the party in parliament. Corbyn’s supporters do not entertain the possibility that those who dedicate their lives to serving their party and the country might have good reason to believe their man is not up to the job. Rejection of Corbyn is taken as proof that they are traitors, to be replaced by people who will do what their electorate tells them without daring to question its judgment. The party members and supporters are always right, so any of its MPs who disagree must be wrong.