Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folks with heart / blood pressure warnings

Folks with heart / blood pressure warnings

Re: Folks with heart / blood pressure warnings

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Just off to check my urine colour.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How much do they pay these ‘experts’ to come up with stuff like this. My old nan could have told everyone all this for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How much do they pay these ‘experts’ to come up with stuff like this. My old nan could have told everyone all this for nothing.
    Was she a miserable old git like you too?

You think that all Donald M. Lloyd-Jones, M.D., Sc.M., FAHA, the American Heart Association’s new volunteer president and chair of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago does for his wage is come up with these 5 points?

It's that type of idiotic thinking that means that he's an M.D., Sc.M., FAHA, the American Heart Association’s new volunteer president and chair of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago on $150,000 a year and you do whatever it is you do

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You think that all Donald M. Lloyd-Jones, M.D., Sc.M., FAHA, the American Heart Association’s new volunteer president and chair of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago does for his wage is come up with these 5 points?

It's that type of idiotic thinking that means that he's an M.D., Sc.M., FAHA, the American Heart Association’s new volunteer president and chair of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago on $150,000 a year and you do whatever it is you do
    For starters I like Dr Donald M Lloyd Jones name...strong suggestion that he is from Welsh family. Second, he drew up these guidelines for people over 50 or with a heart problem. Third there is nothing new here, and my nan could have come up with the same 5 rules

1. Avoid outdoors at peak sun times. 2. Wear light clothes. 3. Drink plenty of fluids. 4. take regular breaks in the shade.
    5. Keep taking your cardiac medicines if you have a heart problem.

So you reckon everyone would remember these points and it isn't worth sharing and remind others?

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    For starters I like Dr Donald M Lloyd Jones name...strong suggestion that he is from Welsh family. Second, he drew up these guidelines for people over 50 or with a heart problem. Third there is nothing new here, and my nan could have come up with the same 5 rules

1. Avoid outdoors at peak sun times. 2. Wear light clothes. 3. Drink plenty of fluids. 4. take regular breaks in the shade.
    Oh I'm sure she could, I'm sure she couldn't do 90% of the stuff he does for his wage though

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Oh I'm sure she could, I'm sure she couldn't do 90% of the stuff he does for his wage though
    A while ago Delm there was another climate change thread which got a bit heated(!) and I mentioned, if I had my time over again, I wouldn't have bothered devoting decades of my life to Pharma/medicine/healthcare, getting a PhD, developing drugs that have saved lives and continual learning. I'm not alone in this way of thinking. A friend and GP has just recently packed it all in as have many others. We've lost some top consultants in Wales since 2016. It's not about the money, but the lack of appreciation of the years of sacrifice and study it takes only to end up being f*cked over by the very people you're trying to help is that last straw for many scientists these days which is why, here in the West, there'll be/is a massive shortage of essential healthcare providers and innovators.

When I read H.G. Wells 'The Time Machine' as a kid, and again more recently, I was horrified at the prospect of a future which included the Eloi, it scared the bejesus out of me. I can honestly say, that some of the stuff I read on here and the conspiratorial bollux is much more scary.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Just off to check my urine colour.
    You're taking the piss now

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    A while ago Delm there was another climate change thread which got a bit heated(!) and I mentioned, if I had my time over again, I wouldn't have bothered devoting decades of my life to Pharma/medicine/healthcare, getting a PhD, developing drugs that have saved lives and continual learning. I'm not alone in this way of thinking. A friend and GP has just recently packed it all in as have many others. We've lost some top consultants in Wales since 2016. It's not about the money, but the lack of appreciation of the years of sacrifice and study it takes only to end up being f*cked over by the very people you're trying to help is that last straw for many scientists these days which is why, here in the West, there'll be/is a massive shortage of essential healthcare providers and innovators.

When I read H.G. Wells 'The Time Machine' as a kid, and again more recently, I was horrified at the prospect of a future which included the Eloi, it scared the bejesus out of me. I can honestly say, that some of the stuff I read on here and the conspiratorial bollux is much more scary.
    I appreciate your comments but. not sure the analysis is spot on. I like you spent my life in Pharma industry, laterly heading up the commercial side of the UK arm of a global business. Like you I got frustrated with the lack of appreciation, and Pharma bad press, but more than anything I found that with the NHS in particular 'inertia' seems to be build into the fabric of the organisation. And this inertia seemed to quash innovation, organisation, willingness to change. And the whole thing seems to rub off onto patients' attitude to medical care. Add to this the nanny state overbearing role of governments running our day to day lives and it's a recipe for disaster.

I appreciate your comments but. not sure the analysis is spot on. I like you spent my life in Pharma industry, laterly heading up the commercial side of the UK arm of a global business. Like you I got frustrated with the lack of appreciation, and Pharma bad press, but more than anything I found that with the NHS in particular 'inertia' seems to be build into the fabric of the organisation. And this inertia seemed to quash innovation, organisation, willingness to change. And the whole thing seems to rub off onto patients' attitude to medical care. Add to this the nanny state overbearing role of governments running our day to day lives and it's a recipe for disaster.
    There's a lot I agree with here and it was going so well until you used the term 'nanny state'. It just feels a bit too Sun/Mail tabloidy. I worked for the NHS in Pathology before moving into pharmacology and then development. I'd have never left the NHS if they'd paid a fair wage. It wasn't. It didn't even need to be on identical terms to the private sector it just needed to be fair. I'm saying the NHS but I really mean, my government/country.

What I object to is people who don't train and study and become experts in their field, p*issing on those who do/have. It's on this board and the internet daily. Our own politicians do it. The media does it. It made me physically sick when we had the clapping of NHS workers during the pandemic. I've said before, I keep the video of Tory MPs cheering 'not giving nurses a payrise' during a vote in parliament on my phone. I'd have it as a ringtone. I'd play daily on here if I could. It's a constant reminder of the hypocrisy.

There's under-appreciated then there's being taken for granted. Well, try and get appointments or the kind of care we had pre-Brexit/pandemic.

I think my analysis is spot on Matt. It's our politics that aren't a match. I'm not angry with you mate, but I am an angry f*cker these days and have had a guts full of it all. You just caught me on a hot day and p*ssed off mate.

That reads like a libertarian approach to the NHS

I think it's demand that will be it's demise , not what it offers in terms of service which is very good on the whole

You can privatise health care in the UK and it would still struggle once it got to tipping point , which is where it is now

Unless we stop people having children this is the way it is

How do you know if you have a heart problem?

Your nan knows the answers because people like Donny J worked them out for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    How do you know if you have a heart problem?
    You play 'These Dreams' 100 times a day, on repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That reads like a libertarian approach to the NHS

I think it's demand that will be it's demise , not what it offers in terms of service which is very good on the whole

You can privatise health care in the UK and it would still struggle once it got to tipping point , which is where it is now

Unless we stop people having children this is the way it is

It's not demand that will cause the demise, it's the failure to adapt. And it's not just in the NHS..the Royal Mail is another example of an organisation trying to come to terms with a 24/7 delivery culture that competitors have developed in recent years.

An example of NHS in action....

A few weeks ago I was concerned about deterioration in a close relative's health. I called the GP surgery and I was 43rd in a telephone queue. OK they are busy and I recently had similar when phoning someone for breakdown cover for my car. Difference was that this company offered the facility to have them call me back when I was top of the queue...Gp's could do that..but hadn't. So I waited on phone 20 mins and decided to leave it to the next day and try again.
    By evening health issues had got worse so I took relative to UHW A&E. Care once in the system was good....but the whole waiting room area is like something from a war zone.
    A dearth of information, a one line digital noticeboard wishing me a happy Easter, no drinking water available ( the water fountain is on the treatment side), no tannoy system, an empty refrigerated snack dispenser chugging away, people sitting on the floor outside the department because there are no benches. One member of staff told me that 70% of people arrive because they cannot get to see their GP in a timely manner.

Once back home I reflected on this happening in the premier teaching hospital in Wales. Good professionals working in a system that could/should be much better for them and their patients. And to make the place better doesn't need a load of cash just a bit of care and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's Barracuda actually, but I like your way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Magic, man.

Third there is nothing new here, and my nan could have come up with the same 5 rules.
    Is she still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Is she still alive?
    What's that got to do with it?

What's that got to do with it?
    Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    It's Barracuda actually, but I like your way of thinking.
    Whilst I like latter day heart , and bad animals is a fine album , they never bettered barracuda

International

Iwas drinking yesterday afternoon in my local with a mate, 48 yrs old, the most laid back unstressed happy guy you could wish to meet. He was taking the piss out of 2 other mates because they has lost to him playing gold yesterday at a £1 a hole.

11 O'clock this morning he is dead. Heart attack! I'm still trying to process it! and today is his son's 27th birthday.
    Life is a bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Iwas drinking yesterday afternoon in my local with a mate, 48 yrs old, the most laid back unstressed happy guy you could wish to meet. He was taking the piss out of 2 other mates because they has lost to him playing gold yesterday at a £1 a hole.

11 O'clock this morning he is dead. Heart attack! I'm still trying to process it! and today is his son's 27th birthday.
    Life is a bastard.
    Wow that is so brutal.Makes all our arguements so stupid.