Ironically, Peterborough were pretty negative in their Play Off Semi Final first leg at Oxford on Friday, but something the commentator said during the game resonated with me when looked at through a Cardiff City context. It seems Peterborough have six players who are in double figures for goals scored this season. I finally got around to checking it this morning and it's correct.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...p-scorers.html

Okay, it's for goals in all competitions and Peterborough have played an awful lot of cup games this season, but they had four who got to ten and more in their forty six league games - have we had four who have scored ten plus in a league season in the last decade?

Peterborough have been a free scoring team for ages, but they also seem to have a permanently dodgy defence. Going back to our Championship winning 12/13 season, Peterborough did the double over us and got relegated, but that team had really good attacking players in Lee Tomlin, Dwight Gayle and George Boyd - you go back over the past fifteen years or so and Peterborough have had a lot of strikers who were signed by other club s after they'd scored stack of goals for them.

I sometimes say it's in City's DNA that they have to play with a big, target man striker and you look at a club like Peterborough and think it's in their DNA to be high scoring - that match we were 4-0 up at half time and ended up drawing was so typically Peterborough.

Similarly, I was struck by the sort of football played by fifth tier Solihull Moors yesterday in such a high pressure game at Wembley - they passed the ball really well and, having seen them play a couple of times before that this season, I can confirm that's how they always set out to play.

My point is that if Solihull and Peterborough can do what they do, why have Cardiff found it virtually impossible to make the transition to being a proper passing side rather than the unconvincing imitators we always are and why do we find it so hard to, first, score goals and, second, sign strikers capable of scoring them in decent numbers?

Would the likes of Gayle, Mackail-Smith, Assombolonga etc have been able to score goals for Cardiff at the rate they did for Peterborough? I think the answer is no because, somehow, we're not that kind of club and, for some reason, we seem to have a problem adopting to the way the game is played by most teams these days as well.

As to why that should be, I don't see that you can blame managers because we've had so many of them in recent years and, apart from Neil Harris with Kieffer Moore, we've not been able to find a consistent goalscorer. I refuse to believe that every striker, apart from Moore, we've signed in the last seven or eight years is crap - there's definitely something about Cardiff City that makes it a more challenging place to play striker than many other clubs.

How on earth can a side have six players who score ten plus in a season, pluck players out of non league on a regular basis who don't have a problem finding the back of the net in the EFL and we can't come up with more than one every five years or so?