+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Riot in Ely

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Riot in Ely

Would the tragedy have been referred to the IOPC and subsequent investigation been carried out without the media attention in this case ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65725350

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Would the tragedy have been referred to the IOPC and subsequent investigation been carried out without the media attention in this case ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65725350
    Maybe not ?

But either way it's correct I would think that it has been ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...first-minister

UK government created conditions that led to Cardiff riots, says Mark Drakeford.
    I am no fan of the tory government but drakeford should leave these sort of comments until after the boys have been laid to rest and investigations into the police activity on the lead up to the crash have taken place

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am no fan of the tory government but drakeford should leave these sort of comments until after the boys have been laid to rest and investigations into the police activity on the lead up to the crash have taken place
    I would repeat a previous comment in another thread about Mark Drakeford.......but would most likely get deleted like the previous one....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I would repeat a previous comment in another thread about Mark Drakeford.......but would most likely get deleted like the previous one....
    Get over it Maurice ffs

You’re like a big baby

“I had a post deleted” boo fecking hoo.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Get over it Maurice ffs

You’re like a big baby

“I had a post deleted” boo fecking hoo.

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/new...-teenagers-ely

It certainly looks like the police watchdog has far more teeth these days

That remit seems to be exactly what is required

If only this kind of body had been around when the Cardiff 5 were fitted up

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    To be fair that was politically motivated and like him at this time it's not really appropriate

The bike was "an early birthday present". £4k, by the way. Kids were living well consider the pictures of them in branded jackets worth a couple hundred, too.

Probably would've been better to say it was nicked, now they're gonna get the DWP snooping around.

The first picture released did show the Police following two lads on an e bike even though they are not meant to be driven on the road or to carry passengers. They are off road bikes only. However, later pictures revealed the Police turning off onto another road and the accident happened when the Police were a long way away on another street. However, it's odd that the Police did turn off especially as the bike was carrying a passenger with the pillion dragging his feet along the ground. Nonetheless I can't see how the rioting was warranted.

When i heard that Drakeford was chairing a meeting of interested groups I thought that was a good thing - exactly the type of thing that the Welsh government should be doing but to turn the event into a political event by blaming the UK government for the rioting was crass and inappropriate. Incidentally I think Alun Michael is one of the good guys especially when he was an MP who left no stone unturned to get to the root of a problem. To condemn him this early is simply wrong. He will get to the bottom of this and, if the Police were in any way to blame, (which is doubtful on present evidence) I believe he will say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The first picture released did show the Police following two lads on an e bike even though they are not meant to be driven on the road or to carry passengers. They are off road bikes only. However, later pictures revealed the Police turning off onto another road and the accident happened when the Police were a long way away on another street. However, it's odd that the Police did turn off especially as the bike was carrying a passenger with the pillion dragging his feet along the ground. Nonetheless I can't see how the rioting was warranted.

When i heard that Drakeford was chairing a meeting of interested groups I thought that was a good thing - exactly the type of thing that the Welsh government should be doing but to turn the event into a political event by blaming the UK government for the rioting was crass and inappropriate. Incidentally I think Alun Michael is one of the good guys especially when he was an MP who left no stone unturned to get to the root of a problem. To condemn him this early is simply wrong. He will get to the bottom of this and, if the Police were in any way to blame, (which is doubtful on present evidence) I believe he will say so.
    With respect many commenting here clearly do not know the area. The police are using that to their advantage. It isn't strange the police turned the other way as there are bollards a bike can get through but not a car. Police had no choice but to turn the other way. There is no dispute now the boys were being actively pursued (although not chased with blue lights).

Also not seen it mentioned here but many think the boys were hit by a bus (as was widely reported) but cardiff bus issued a statement yesterday that none of their vehicles were involved.

The families have reported police were telling people at the scene no police were involved yet a video was being shown to people in the crowd at the scene of the chase (active pursuit) which is what sparked the trouble.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    With respect many commenting here clearly do not know the area. The police are using that to their advantage. It isn't strange the police turned the other way as there are bollards a bike can get through but not a car. Police had no choice but to turn the other way. There is no dispute now the boys were being actively pursued (although not chased with blue lights).

Also not seen it mentioned here but many think the boys were hit by a bus (as was widely reported) but cardiff bus issued a statement yesterday that none of their vehicles were involved.

The families have reported police were telling people at the scene no police were involved yet a video was being shown to people in the crowd at the scene of the chase (active pursuit) which is what sparked the trouble.
    Sorry I hadn't seen this but exactly right.

The BBC are all over this now, the police tried to say they had it wrong, but they then found this out, probably much more to come out too.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Sorry I hadn't seen this but exactly right.

The BBC are all over this now, the police tried to say they had it wrong, but they then found this out, probably much more to come out too.
    https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/23548176.ely-cardiff-mother-crash-victim-says-police-killed-son/

One of the victims mothers says the police killed her son and she can't say anything else.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/23548176.ely-cardiff-mother-crash-victim-says-police-killed-son/

One of the victims mothers says the police killed her son and she can't say anything else.
    No they didn’t. This blame culture does my ****ing head in.

Exactly this. The boys were heading up Stanway rd after turning in to it from Archer rd. At the top end of Stanway rd (Snowden rd end) there are bollards, but enough space for a bike to get through, although with a bit of difficulty. The police would have known this so turned left down Howell rd which takes you onto Grand Avenue, turn right, and then 2nd right takes you onto Wilson rd, travel up wilson rd for 100 mts or so and you're at the bollard end of Stanway rd and the junction of Snowden rd.

International

Turns out the police turned away because the kids were able to get through bollards at the end of a street and obviously the police van couldn't you can't believe a word they say.

I think drakeford should have kept politics out of it , it's an embarrassment in my opinion

This is a terrible accident and Alun Micheal and South Wales Police have been economical with the truth here

I think heads should roll , the big wigs have all looked completely incompetent

I think it's understandable why some people , especially those related to those boys , don't have faith or trust in some of those police statements

It's hardly something to emulate is it ?

I can understand why the parents are blaming the Police particularly the way the Police have handled this.Ultimately,the Police didn’t buy this e-bike/scooter and make the young guys ride it illegally. Can someone clear up, at what age, can somebody ride this bikes legally, because if it’s 17,why buy it for their son? Also, if they didn’t hit a bus, as seems to be the case, what did they hit?

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I can understand why the parents are blaming the Police particularly the way the Police have handled this.Ultimately,the Police didn’t buy this e-bike/scooter and make the young guys ride it illegally. Can someone clear up, at what age, can somebody ride this bikes legally, because if it’s 17,why buy it for their son? Also, if they didn’t hit a bus, as seems to be the case, what did they hit?
    Not sure on the specific bike but you can ride an e bike on the road from the age of 14.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rul...20or%20insured.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    An inquest has been opened, and adjourned, but we're still none the wiser regarding your last question. WalesOnline's article states that the boys died in a collision but without any evidence to back that up.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...crash-27033525

Not sure on the specific bike but you can ride an e bike on the road from the age of 14.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rul...20or%20insured.
    I don't think from the following link provided earlier that the bike met the criteria for riding on the road.
    https://surron.co.uk/pages/surron-bike-availability

The bikes are marketed as off road bikes and do not have pedals as the law requires and from the look of it are not designed to carry passengers either.

Either way the death of these two boys is an absolute tragedy.

I think the issue boils down to why did the police play silly buggers with what happened ?

Saying nothing and arguing they are refusing to comment due to deaths or a possible review is fair enough

But after comments by Alun Micheal , that Superintendent that walked back in the building and the female assistant chief constable I thought it was a mixture of incompetence , passing the buck and denial

It was a comedy show and the subject matter was extremely worrying

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No they didn’t. This blame culture does my ****ing head in.
    It's unlikely to be true but it's understandable given the circumstances for a parent to make hysterical and emotional outbursts

If they were nice lads why did they sped off in a dangerous way , glad a mother with a pram or an elderly person wasnt hurt by the scooter boys .

Done nothing wrong just stop, I'd put serous money on this being drug related , same as the St Mellons sad incident , police are too frightened to police , they have so many barriers to manage in frenzied incidents from diversity, racism, gender recognition, being sued, filmed on phones, social media hell , spat at, stoned by kids, Saturday night drunks , no respect, the manpower pull of demonstraters which stops real policing , dreadful job .

The only winner's these days are the unruly, don't care areshole , law breakers .