+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got away with one today...

I got away with one today...

Been worried all week about returning a rental car to one of the major suppliers at Heathrow ahead of our return to the U.S. tomorrow.

On arrival a few weeks ago, I'd declined to pay 300 pounds to waive damage to the vehicle as a) I'd never got one marked in over a few decades of using a rental whilst on holiday in UK and b) I have damage protection from my credit card provider (Amex) and have been content to rely on that although never tested it out.

Anyway, I'd gently pranged a Mazda CX5 against a metal gatepost at the Duke of Wellington's car park in Cowbridge this week and since it was a post, there were 4 different scuff marks in a perpendicular line - on the bonnet, a plastic chrome bumper, on another piece of fake metal below that and on the black plastic bumper itself. The supplier had made it very clear at the time of hiring, that any marks over a certain size (which he showed me on a gauge) would be charged at 2000 pounds each and I'd be left to claim it back from my insurance provider. I'd hovered for a moment but still declined to pay for the reasons stated above. Of course, immediately after the innocuous bump, confidence in my insurer melted away fast and for the remainder of the holiday I felt really stupid about not paying the waiver fee; I didn't enjoy the past week waking early each morning concerned about this stupid thing and hardly able to get it out of my mind - the possibility was, that I'd be charged 4 x 2 grand for each mark and no matter how much confidence I had in Amex's policy (which cost only $25 plus having to use your American Express card to hire the car - I couldn't see them being at all happy about paying out 8 grand.

Cutting a long story short, I faced my punishment this afternoon when I returned the car. Thank goodness it wasn't the cheeky twat who'd warned me about the cost of each piece of damage, but what seemed to me like a boy just out of school who oversaw the inspection and paperwork; I drew his attention to the mark on the bonnet, he got out the measuring device and said he just needed to check with someone in the office. He must, I thought, have seen the other 3 marks as well, that was it, I was sure I'd have to pay the penalty and then trust that Amex would live up to expectations and return my 8 grand. A few minutes went by, the lad returned with an older colleague and they looked again closely at the bonnet blemish, oh shit! Then the lad turned to me with a smile and said 'that's ok sir, it's within the limit'.

I couldn't believe my luck, how the hell did he miss the other three marks - or did he? I didn't stop to ask but calmly watched him finish the paperwork, gathered up the missus and our bags and left as quickly as I could. By the time I got to our hotel there was a text confirming the return of the car and looking forward to my business again soon. You could have blown me over with a feather!

Anyone else on here have such a narrow, unforeseen escape from a worrisome situation?

Re: I got away with one today...

I have a similar story, we always hire in the US, always have the full insurance so dont really care if the car gets a bump in the car park etc, its fully insured

so we fly into schiphzl, get the train to the hotel, spend a few days doing Amsterdam, then Train back to airport to hire a car to head more into Holland for a few days in a theme park, hire car guy trys to sell me extra insurance incase of car damage, tells me its 1500 EU per mark on the car, yea yea, you make commission on that sale, so I decline it

car was parked up in the hotel car park and didnt move the entire time, so when its time to go, I spot a car park prang, its 2 rather large scrapes / dents, Oh great, thats 3000 EU which I will be charged and then have to fight to get it back, this of course meant the 2 hour drive to the airport wasnt great and it really was a downer on a great trip, we arrive at the airport, I stop before the car hire place as I always do ( I have a thing about getting all of us out of the car and not leaving anything behind, so I always pull into a spot, empty the car and then drive into the return car hire ) anyways, the hire return guy points to a spot to park, I pull in leaving loads of space between my door and the next car, it turns out Im very close to the car on the other side
    I jump out, the guy said to me " couldnt get much closer than that " I look at the gap and its really close, he walks around the car checking it over, peers down the side where its tight, then says " all's good " , hands me a print out and away I walk ( well skipped with a certain happy spring in my step )

I would have loved to have said I parked close to hide the damage, but I just misjudged the parking and didnt realise

Had a mate return a car recently without incident, but they charged his credit card for pre existing damages a few days later. Could be worth cancelling your card - ball ache I know and it could be for nothing but it’s a nightmare trying to dispute it.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Had a mate return a car recently without incident, but they charged his credit card for pre existing damages a few days later. Could be worth cancelling your card - ball ache I know and it could be for nothing but it’s a nightmare trying to dispute it.
    Hmm, I get your point but I have their written (well, texted) acknowledgement that all is well; as far as I'm concerned they'll have fight it out with Amex.

Cancelling the credit card wont work as the car hire company will have a pre-authorisation anyway which will he honored even if card is cancelled. Secondly it almost certainly would constitute fraud.

Nowadays you're guaranteed to get a shiny new car with barely a few hundred miles/kilometres on the clock. Personally I much preferred the days when you were given an old banger and didn't have to worry about how you returned it [within reason].

I have forwarded this post to all the major car hire suppliers at Heathrow, pointing out that a junior employee may have missed 3 large marks on one of their cars, which may have resulted in a substantial loss. I have received acknowledgements thanking me for my civic duty, and they will be in touch if any reward payments are due.

Years ago now I returned a car in Italy and got it signed off as OK. A few weeks later I got an invoice from the company for damage to a wing mirror. I replied saying the damage wasn't there when I returned the car. I didn't hear from them again. There was no attempt to charge my credit card.

Er ......

Isn't this sort of , technically .......being dishonest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Hmm, I get your point but I have their written (well, texted) acknowledgement that all is well; as far as I'm concerned they'll have fight it out with Amex.
    I think you are being a bit naughty here

You are expecting others to be straight when you are not

You havnt stolen from old grannies but you damaged a car and are hoping you have got away with it ?

Don't you agree ?

I wouldn't worry, they had their chance to spot the damage, they didn't see it, so they're in a rank bad position to do anything about it now, your world against theirs. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and if something did come through on email, text or phone call, I'd **** it right off.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wouldn't worry, they had their chance to spot the damage, they didn't see it, so they're in a rank bad position to do anything about it now, your world against theirs. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and if something did come through on email, text or phone call, I'd **** it right off.
    They might come back they sometimes do, if you ignore it they sell the debt to debt collectors and mess up your credit file.

You'll probably get away with it but you can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A young employee doesn't spot the damage

So it's OK to get away with it ?

I don't think that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They might come back they sometimes do, if you ignore it they sell the debt to debt collectors and mess up your credit file.

You'll probably get away with it but you can't be sure.
    Surely it's better to be honest in the first place

Isn't it what we expect of others ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Surely it's better to be honest in the first place

Isn't it what we expect of others ?
    How’s SF Cowbridge Car Hire doing at the moment Sludge?

job done any other Damage was done when they moved it off-site to valet it and charge you a extortionate amount to top up the fuel if you didnt take the " return fuel tank empty " add-on that they also charge you over the odds for

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think you are being a bit naughty here

You are expecting others to be straight when you are not

Don't you agree ?
    This is the same car hire companies who rip people off every single day for a few quid extra commission

Oh you need this extra insurance sir ( when you dont )

Oh Sir, you need to rent our " toll pass " so you dont get charged extra going through Tolls ( $28 a day plus tolls, when you can just drive through the toll and pay )

Sir, its law you have breakdown cover in the US ( its not )

Oh Sir, that car will never fit you and your family and 4 suitcases, I can upgrade you for free, but you need extra insurance ( funny enough we fitted in the same car last trip )

Sir, you need this " lost Keys insurance " its only $7 a day

thats just some of the Lies

In the US, you sign a screen and they take a " hold " on some money, Ive had them add extra insurance and breakdown cover, despite me asking for no extra's, after all, they have " pre-authorisation " on your account

These companies are no better than thieves at times

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    This is the same car hire companies who rip people off every single day for a few quid extra commission

Oh you need this extra insurance sir ( when you dont )

Oh Sir, you need to rent our " toll pass " so you dont get charged extra going through Tolls ( $28 a day plus tolls, when you can just drive through the toll and pay )

Sir, its law you have breakdown cover in the US ( its not )

Oh Sir, that car will never fit you and your family and 4 suitcases, I can upgrade you for free, but you need extra insurance ( funny enough we fitted in the same car last trip )

Sir, you need this " lost Keys insurance " its only $7 a day

thats just some of the Lies

In the US, you sign a screen and they take a " hold " on some money, Ive had them add extra insurance and breakdown cover, despite me asking for no extra's, after all, they have " pre-authorisation " on your account

These companies are no better than thieves at times
    I am not doubting that

But this isn't really good form is it ?

It's white collar fraud isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    job done any other Damage was done when they moved it off-site to valet it and charge you a extortionate amount to top up the fuel if you didnt take the " return fuel tank empty " add-on that they also charge you over the odds for
    The damage was done by the driver as far as I can tell and he's trying to get away with it

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    How’s SF Cowbridge Car Hire doing at the moment Sludge?
    Well I was going to feck off to the states on holiday but some twit has cost me 10 grand

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I have forwarded this post to all the major car hire suppliers at Heathrow, pointing out that a junior employee may have missed 3 large marks on one of their cars, which may have resulted in a substantial loss. I have received acknowledgements thanking me for my civic duty, and they will be in touch if any reward payments are due.
    BTW, this was a windup before anybody thinks that I actually did it!

B

Anyone else on here have such a narrow, unforeseen escape from a worrisome situation?
    I scuffed the sh*t out of mirrored finished alloys on a brand new 50 miles on the clock hire car a few years back. Luckily it had been raining so I mixed mud with buckets of water and went about flinging mudwater about the car as if it had driven through a load of it, giving the wheels a good coating. Gave it back and nothing was deducted or mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I scuffed the sh*t out of mirrored finished alloys on a brand new 50 miles on the clock hire car a few years back. Luckily it had been raining so I mixed mud with buckets of water and went about flinging mudwater about the car as if it had driven through a load of it, giving the wheels a good coating. Gave it back and nothing was deducted or mentioned!
    Seriously considering handing my notice in, the site is full of ne’er do wells

You can hire car excess insurance for a fraction of the cost independently for a fraction of the cost.The RAC do it

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Feck me it gets worse