+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immigration the last thing in the Tories' armour?

Immigration the last thing in the Tories' armour?

Immigration is a big thing for lots of people in the UK. I'm not going to say whether that's right or wrong.

However, in 13 years of Tory government they've done nothing to address this. Brexit was fought largely over immigration, yet leaving the EU did nothing (as predicted) to address this.

Is immigration something that the political right have no desire to do anything about but want to use to gain votes?

Re: Immigration the last thing in the Tories' armour?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Immigration is a big thing for lots of people in the UK. I'm not going to say whether that's right or wrong.

However, in 13 years of Tory government they've done nothing to address this. Brexit was fought largely over immigration, yet leaving the EU did nothing (as predicted) to address this.

Is immigration something that the political right have no desire to do anything about but want to use to gain votes?
    Currently Eric immigration is the only bullet left in their armoury.

It's a convenient one though as they can point to the swarm of immigrants being the cause of a lack of housing, rising costs, criminality and a creaking NHS.

Some knobheads will believe it all too.

Haven't we shipped off all these scrounging illegal immigrants to Rwanda or wherever?

P.S.

The UK is experiencing a shortage of workers. I wonder what may have caused that?

A genuine concern about population and the effect of an increase on housing , NHS etc is fine

Unfortunately there are a lot of daft racists in this country who don't like brown people

And the tory party is their natural home

The real nutters join reform

Immigration is a really important topic everywhere. It's not just the UK, and that's understandably so as it impacts nearly every facet of life (cultural, economic, social etc) in both positive and negative ways.

Brexit has changed it. In theory it means people must meet certain criteria to qualify under a points based system. I think that's a good thing if done right, although like everything, it's not perfect.

It is ironic that despite these greater controls, immigration has soared in the last few years. In fairness some of that was probably a natural backlog from the Covid year(s) when no one much moved anywhere.

Personally I think it's at a wholly unsustainable level and needs bringing down. It seems it's the student visas that are the biggest increases.

Overall immigration is a positive thing but there is a level at which it tilts over into creating more negative issues. I think everyone would agree with that - no one doubts that 1 person a year is fine or 1million a week is not..so it's about where the line is drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Immigration is a really important topic everywhere. It's not just the UK, and that's understandably so as it impacts nearly every facet of life (cultural, economic, social etc) in both positive and negative ways.

Brexit has changed it. In theory it means people must meet certain criteria to qualify under a points based system. I think that's a good thing if done right, although like everything, it's not perfect.

It is ironic that despite these greater controls, immigration has soared in the last few years. In fairness some of that was probably a natural backlog from the Covid year(s) when no one much moved anywhere.

Personally I think it's at a wholly unsustainable level and needs bringing down. It seems it's the student visas that are the biggest increases.

Overall immigration is a positive thing but there is a level at which it tilts over into creating more negative issues. I think everyone would agree with that - no one doubts that 1 person a year is fine or 1million a week is not..so it's about where the line is drawn.
    But surely the Conservatives cannot claim to be the party to sort out immigration when they've failed to do so in 13 years and, hopefully, people will see through this.

But surely the Conservatives cannot claim to be the party to sort out immigration when they've failed to do so in 13 years and, hopefully, people will see through this.
    I hope so but I wouldn't bet on it

The people .....are basically stupid

I don't disagree. They should have worked far harder to reduce it and explain the benefits of that

I don't disagree. They should have worked far harder to reduce it and explain the benefits of that
    Instead all they've done is stoke up people's fears and insecurities to create a bigger problem than actually exists. As a result, we've seen racism on the increase.

The usual areas the tories like to steer the public conversation towards are not looking good for them:

Law and Order - crime, violent crime, shoplifting, sex crime all increasing significantly since 2015

the economy - has stagnated under the tories, we are dropping further behind similar countries in Europe and many people are struggling.

immigration - has been rising steadily under the tories, and increasing quickly in the last year or so - especially immigration from non eu sources. The number of asylum seekers waiting for their claims to be processed has increased ten fold in a decade.

It's hard to see where they have a leg to stand on on any of those topics, let alone other areas they aren't traditionally strong on- so they will probably try to raise the "culture war" style issues - trans rights etc and i expect them to strt pushing that strongly - either that or declare war on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The usual areas the tories like to steer the public conversation towards are not looking good for them:

Law and Order - crime, violent crime, shoplifting, sex crime all increasing significantly since 2015

the economy - has stagnated under the tories, we are dropping further behind similar countries in Europe and many people are struggling.

immigration - has been rising steadily under the tories, and increasing quickly in the last year or so - especially immigration from non eu sources. The number of asylum seekers waiting for their claims to be processed has increased ten fold in a decade.

It's hard to see where they have a leg to stand on on any of those topics, let alone other areas they aren't traditionally strong on- so they will probably try to raise the "culture war" style issues - trans rights etc and i expect them to strt pushing that strongly - either that or declare war on someone.
    Newport ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Newport ?
    I'm game

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm game
    You would probably get filled in by some lass from Duffryn :)

Serious question though and hope for a serious answer and discourse with minimum mudslinging…

What are the first fundamental things that a new Labour government should do to get the UK back on track?

Naive maybe, but one of the things that I would look at is the legalisation and taxation of cannabis and possibly other illegal drugs.

Use this money to invest in infrastructure and well paying jobs to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Serious question though and hope for a serious answer and discourse with minimum mudslinging…

What are the first fundamental things that a new Labour government should do to get the UK back on track?

Naive maybe, but one of the things that I would look at is the legalisation and taxation of cannabis and possibly other illegal drugs.

Use this money to invest in infrastructure and well paying jobs to go along with it.
    I think the first thing to do is move away from the silly targets of so many new homes by 2030 , an end to child poverty , etc etc

I don't know how much cash legalising drugs would bring in but it's long overdue

It would wipe out a lot of crime associated with supply and everyone would be a lot happier

'There will be less working people to pay the pensions of an increasing retiree cohort who are living significantly longer'

Tough sell that, hence why they lied through their teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    'There will be less working people to pay the pensions of an increasing retiree cohort who are living significantly longer'

Tough sell that, hence why they lied through their teeth.
    If you can continuously gain power, money, status and influence by gaslighting credulous people why tell the truth? As Bugs Bunny would say "that's all folks"

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

There’s no need for a new Government now that Sunak is the change candidate.

Seriously, I want any new Government to reverse the trend of the last thirteen years whereby the gap between richest and poorest gets wider (putting as much time and resources into making sure the rich pay all of the tax they owe as there are regarding the ordinary man or woman in the street would be a start) and I’d be willing to pay more in tax if all of the extra revenue raised went into the NHS.

Is the Rwanda policy a vote winner? One High Street has its say

A woman who was born in the UK but describes her origin as Irish Traveller/Norwegian complains that her doctor's surgery is busy with immigrants.

"Why is it like this? Why do we have to put up with it? I can't get a doctor's appointment, I'm an English citizen. Why do I have to have an Indian doctor? I should be able to choose to have a female, white doctor."

She says she isn't racist but makes some unfounded claims about immigrants being responsible for a disproportionate level of crime and says she's worried about her daughter being "pestered" by foreign men. She interrupts herself as a woman passes wearing a headscarf and veil.

"That lady over there, that should not be allowed, absolutely not. She's only showing her eyes. I can't wear a balaclava around town so why can she wear that? There's no difference is there?" When I suggest she is from an immigrant background she turns on me, tells me angrily to step away, and threatens to assault me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Is the Rwanda policy a vote winner? One High Street has its say

A woman who was born in the UK but describes her origin as Irish Traveller/Norwegian complains that her doctor's surgery is busy with immigrants.

"Why is it like this? Why do we have to put up with it? I can't get a doctor's appointment, I'm an English citizen. Why do I have to have an Indian doctor? I should be able to choose to have a female, white doctor."

She says she isn't racist but makes some unfounded claims about immigrants being responsible for a disproportionate level of crime and says she's worried about her daughter being "pestered" by foreign men. She interrupts herself as a woman passes wearing a headscarf and veil.

"That lady over there, that should not be allowed, absolutely not. She's only showing her eyes. I can't wear a balaclava around town so why can she wear that? There's no difference is there?" When I suggest she is from an immigrant background she turns on me, tells me angrily to step away, and threatens to assault me.
    She may say she isn't a racist but she certainly is

Why do I have to have an Indian doctor 😂

She should be arrested for being thick as feck

International

It's a disgrace to be fair, no politicians really give a shit about it bar, Farage, reform and a few tory right-wingers

The Conservatives have turned a blind eye and allowed it to grow, they deserve to lose their seats and jobs!.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Currently Eric immigration is the only bullet left in their armoury.

It's a convenient one though as they can point to the swarm of immigrants being the cause of a lack of housing, rising costs, criminality and a creaking NHS.

Some knobheads will believe it all too.

Haven't we shipped off all these scrounging illegal immigrants to Rwanda or wherever?

P.S.

The UK is experiencing a shortage of workers. I wonder what may have caused that?
    Covid, millions retired and went part time, along to a lesser extent with Brexit cheap labour workers going back home to the EU.

International

Students who don't even take the course, bringing in their families, either immediately or at later dates, and care workers doing the same, they don't add value as they pay no or little tax but take out ten times more in services.

Farming and fruit picking look like the next big loophole the country has got too used to cheap foreign labour and too many politician's mates friends and families are making a fortune, so are in no rush to stop the loopholes.

International

We need a proper points system and all loopholes closed, of course it can add great value but is being abused and the rate of abuse is increasing rapidly, both parties need to get a grip of it and agree to turn the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Covid, millions retired and went part time, along to a lesser extent with Brexit cheap labour workers going back home to the EU.
    Almost everybody is cheap labour in the UK economy. I earn the median full time wage and its a struggle to live on as a single person who wants some semblance of a life and a bit of dignity. All these tropes and memes of 15 years ago no longer work because half of the countries that people used to move to the UK from have closed the gap.

International

100% they've made a total mess of it!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    If we don't have managed and sensible immigration we will not be able to provide health care, social care and the hospitality industry , that is very important , will collapse

Some people say that immigration is just used for cheap labour in these areas but if the UK workforce is not interested , not trained or simply not capable of filling these jobs then we have no choice

Lots of people who vote Tory to reduce immigration are pissing on their own chips if they have elderly relatives as the amount of people from abroad working in care homes and in the community is huge .....if we have few uk residents wanting to work in care and we reduce immigration to fill those positions ..........we have had it

Illegal immigration is a different matter and the fact that the UK is an island and has trouble dealing with it suggests more needs to be spend on border control , flight security , resettlement etc

It's the easy thing to do to say we need to stop the boats and send them to rwanda etc but that appeals to the basic instinct of people who need to be educated and what is possible , what's not possible and the stupidity of thinking immigration is the cause of all our problems

Eventually one tends to give up trying