+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

  1. #1

    20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker


  2. #2
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North Cardiff ha ha
    Posts
    4,731

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's bound to happen, why put up with that when there are alternatives in Cornwall, Devon and the Cotswolds, they are happily damaging the tourist economy for a whim, we are different in Wales butt, worse but different see!

  3. #3

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    20mph summed up by a holidaymaker who lives in part of the world where 20mph is being rolled out by its own council.
    Bless him. Next year he'll be taking the kids on a tour of the M25.

  4. #4
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North Cardiff ha ha
    Posts
    4,731

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    20mph summed up by a holidaymaker who lives in part of the world where 20mph is being rolled out by its own council.
    Bless him. Next year he'll be taking the kids on a tour of the M25.

  5. #5

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Intrepid reporter will Hayward knew it was going to be his day, as rumours of the news rippling through wales online was confirmed to be true.

    “A man came to Wales on holiday and wrote a letter about 20mph because he was so angry”

    As he wrote the headline he knew it was going to be the story of the year. A retired builder visiting Wales was annoyed about something. It was his sixth trip meaning that Wales will miss out on his grey pound, which being generous would average out as once every ten years. It could’ve been another two trips if it hadn’t been for the blasted speed limit.

    The man who was “sure (I) was a danger to pedestrians and and errant drivers”, complained that he was creating more pollution at 20mph and also complained about travelling at 50mph instead of 70 despite the latter being implemented to reduce pollution. He didn’t understand the irony as he was trying to help his wife who somehow had managed to get herself “glued to the satnav”. He now intends to demonstrate his lack of ability to control his polluting delica on faster roads elsewhere. Much to the annoyance of about 4 Cardiff city fans.

    Tell you what mind, an idea to make the roads a bit safer what about retesting the over 65s?

  6. #6
    First Team light up the darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City/Radyr
    Posts
    2,625

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Ageist! Reported

  7. #7

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    He’s lucky he didn’t go to Aberthin, in the Vale of Glamorgan, where there are 8 different speed limits in 2 miles.

  8. #8
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North Cardiff ha ha
    Posts
    4,731

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Intrepid reporter will Hayward knew it was going to be his day, as rumours of the news rippling through wales online was confirmed to be true.

    “A man came to Wales on holiday and wrote a letter about 20mph because he was so angry”

    As he wrote the headline he knew it was going to be the story of the year. A retired builder visiting Wales was annoyed about something. It was his sixth trip meaning that Wales will miss out on his grey pound, which being generous would average out as once every ten years. It could’ve been another two trips if it hadn’t been for the blasted speed limit.

    The man who was “sure (I) was a danger to pedestrians and and errant drivers”, complained that he was creating more pollution at 20mph and also complained about travelling at 50mph instead of 70 despite the latter being implemented to reduce pollution. He didn’t understand the irony as he was trying to help his wife who somehow had managed to get herself “glued to the satnav”. He now intends to demonstrate his lack of ability to control his polluting delica on faster roads elsewhere. Much to the annoyance of about 4 Cardiff city fans.

    Tell you what mind, an idea to make the roads a bit safer what about retesting the over 65s?
    Nice one how to upset all your old leftie mates

    Wouldn't affect me other than getting some of the 20mph dodderers out of the way.

  9. #9

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Intrepid reporter will Hayward knew it was going to be his day, as rumours of the news rippling through wales online was confirmed to be true.

    “A man came to Wales on holiday and wrote a letter about 20mph because he was so angry”

    As he wrote the headline he knew it was going to be the story of the year. A retired builder visiting Wales was annoyed about something. It was his sixth trip meaning that Wales will miss out on his grey pound, which being generous would average out as once every ten years. It could’ve been another two trips if it hadn’t been for the blasted speed limit.

    The man who was “sure (I) was a danger to pedestrians and and errant drivers”, complained that he was creating more pollution at 20mph and also complained about travelling at 50mph instead of 70 despite the latter being implemented to reduce pollution. He didn’t understand the irony as he was trying to help his wife who somehow had managed to get herself “glued to the satnav”. He now intends to demonstrate his lack of ability to control his polluting delica on faster roads elsewhere. Much to the annoyance of about 4 Cardiff city fans.

    Tell you what mind, an idea to make the roads a bit safer what about retesting the over 65s?
    I would agree with that. Many pensioners are an absolute menace. Moaning all of the time, taking out of the system when they had it easy. I'd probably ban them from driving and make them use public transport, but only at specific times so that they can all moan about everything (ON the Bus) together. Oh yeah, and the 60s and 70s were shite-Probably.

  10. #10

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I would agree with that. Many pensioners are an absolute menace. Moaning all of the time, taking out of the system when they had it easy. I'd probably ban them from driving and make them use public transport, but only at specific times so that they can all moan about everything (ON the Bus) together. Oh yeah, and the 60s and 70s were shite-Probably.


    Or should it be

  11. #11

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post


    Or should it be
    You're decent, i'll spare you if i ever get into power

  12. #12

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I would agree with that. Many pensioners are an absolute menace. Moaning all of the time, taking out of the system when they had it easy. I'd probably ban them from driving and make them use public transport, but only at specific times so that they can all moan about everything (ON the Bus) together. Oh yeah, and the 60s and 70s were shite-Probably.
    Hey man, if you can remember the 60s man, you weren’t there man

  13. #13

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hey man, if you can remember the 60s man, you weren’t there man
    I wonder what percentage of young people were doing drugs in the '90s compared to the '60s.

  14. #14

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I wonder what percentage of young people were doing drugs in the '90s compared to the '60s.
    I’d say the percentage is higher now and not just young people. The devil’s dandruff is going up the noses of all ages nowadays. Going back even further than the 60s though, wasn’t opium a common recreational drug in Victorian times? Perhaps, more used by the upper classes though.

  15. #15

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I would agree with that. Many pensioners are an absolute menace. Moaning all of the time, taking out of the system when they had it easy. I'd probably ban them from driving and make them use public transport, but only at specific times so that they can all moan about everything (ON the Bus) together. Oh yeah, and the 60s and 70s were shite-Probably.
    I have to agree.
    Give them set times to use supermarkets so they don’t stand in your way too. They were happy to use certain slots during covid, around 10/11am would be good. Maybe give them a special board on ccmb that is dedicated to talking about lockdowns from years ago, their lost liberties and hints and tips on how to change gears

    As for the retests make pay at the pump part of the test. That’ll get plenty more off the roads and stop us all hanging round while Brian gets his werthers originals. Give them a timer on the air pressure machine

    Safer roads
    Less congestion
    Less pollution

  16. #16

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I have to agree.
    Give them set times to use supermarkets so they don’t stand in your way too. They were happy to use certain slots during covid, around 10/11am would be good. Maybe give them a special board on ccmb that is dedicated to talking about lockdowns from years ago, their lost liberties and hints and tips on how to change gears

    As for the retests make pay at the pump part of the test. That’ll get plenty more off the roads and stop us all hanging round while Brian gets his werthers originals. Give them a timer on the air pressure machine

    Safer roads
    Less congestion
    Less pollution
    Gets my vote. Is there a special Day in a persons life when they start getting annoyed with pretty much everything? The other day (On here) one of the old farts was annoyed about leaves falling from trees. Is there a starting point i wonder? cracks in pavements, then on to cycle lanes, Road works, and finally speed limits, in an already built up congested area. If i ever end up that way then i give my kids permission to shoot me in the face.

  17. #17

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gets my vote. Is there a special Day in a persons life when they start getting annoyed with pretty much everything? The other day (On here) one of the old farts was annoyed about leaves falling from trees. Is there a starting point i wonder? cracks in pavements, then on to cycle lanes, Road works, and finally speed limits, in an already built up congested area. If i ever end up that way then i give my kids permission to shoot me in the face.
    Even more annoying is people who don’t use “capital iiiiiii’s”

  18. #18

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Even more annoying is people who don’t use “capital iiiiiii’s”
    Bloody illiterate youngsters, daft as brushes, every one ……and they’re let loose on our roads, yet, obviously are a danger when trying to decipher road signs

  19. #19

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Even more annoying is people who don’t use “capital iiiiiii’s”
    You were born Annoyed.....

  20. #20

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Ah the 2023 version of 'and they all switched to Welsh as soon as I walked into the pub'.

  21. #21

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gets my vote. Is there a special Day in a persons life when they start getting annoyed with pretty much everything? The other day (On here) one of the old farts was annoyed about leaves falling from trees. Is there a starting point i wonder? cracks in pavements, then on to cycle lanes, Road works, and finally speed limits, in an already built up congested area. If i ever end up that way then i give my kids permission to shoot me in the face.
    I think that's the age one turns Tory. Heaven forbid what a ghastly thought!

  22. #22

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gets my vote. Is there a special Day in a persons life when they start getting annoyed with pretty much everything? .
    I think there’s a few in this thread who would have the answer to this except that part of the process means that the person doesn’t realise that they’re one of them

    But certainly posting actual full daily mail “articles” about inane grumbles is a sign

  23. #23

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    It's been a couple of months since the 20mph speed limits were introduced and I thought it was time for a reflection. I was against the proposal to have a blanket 20mph roll out.

    I live near Aberdare. It would be safe to suggest that, here at least, very few drivers actually stick to 20mph where the limit requires. It has had the effect of stopping drivers doing 35-40 in 30mph zones, it's rare to see a car doing more than 30 now. That has to be one good thing.

    28 in a 30 zone barely feels like slowing down. 18 in a 20 zone feels painfully slow. There are a handful of drivers who are overcautious and don't quite reach 20mph, which feels very annoying. I could happily cope with someone doing a few mph below 30. On the odd occasions when I have to drive at 20, I seem to be wanting to make progress as soon as I have the opportunity. I want to get where I'm going. Around me, side streets and back roads are busier than they used to be. Where traffic sticks to 20mph, it seems to create more bottlenecks and impatience.

    I notice that some roads are returning to 30mph, particularly if they're arterial roads that need a flow of traffic. Hopkinstown is 30mph all the way along, which totally rubbishes any other main road being reduced to 20.

    Another issue that I seem to encounter around here is that people are driving more slowly on 40 and 50mph roads. I've seen people doing 20 in 30 zones when it's been quiet. There seems to be some confusion among motorists with speed limits - strange as we've never had so many signs. I just think some drivers don't even look at signs.

    I'll repeat that it has had the effect of slowing traffic down a bit in built up areas, which is a good thing. It hasn't stopped boy racers or idiots on the road though. They'll still create most accidents, regardless of speed limits.

  24. #24

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It has had the effect of stopping drivers doing 35-40 in 30mph zones, it's rare to see a car doing more than 30 now. That has to be one good thing.
    Same where we are. There is one long stretch which was 40mph originally but was reduced to 30mph several years back. To be fair it was a bit of a nonsense really as there are no houses along there. Unfortunately the LA were too mean to put repeater signs along the road so up until recently most folk were driving at 40 - 45mph along there, but now are strictly observing the 30mph limit.

  25. #25

    Re: 20mph, summed up by a holidaymaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gets my vote. Is there a special Day in a persons life when they start getting annoyed with pretty much everything? The other day (On here) one of the old farts was annoyed about leaves falling from trees. Is there a starting point i wonder? cracks in pavements, then on to cycle lanes, Road works, and finally speed limits, in an already built up congested area. If i ever end up that way then i give my kids permission to shoot me in the face.
    North Cardiff Blue must be about 90 on the ‘annoyed scale’

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •