+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Erol Bulut to consider his future after sending strong message to the board

Re: Bulut’s post match interview on Radio Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    There's not a great deal we can do to stop them going though. Would you turn down Manchester United or Leeds as a teenager? The money alone would be enough for most of us, nevermind the access to better facilities/coaches etc
    The teams who have been successful hanging onto young players when bigger teams come calling are the ones who show a clear pathway to first team football though. If you were a good young player and looked at the last 10 years would you stay at City... even this season when he's tried to get shot of players like Sawyers and Rino, had no interest even from leagues below and then continues to involve them in the squad and starting lineup over youngsters like King, Joel Colwill and Ashford. We don't help ourselves with this.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    The teams who have been successful hanging onto young players when bigger teams come calling are the ones who show a clear pathway to first team football though. If you were a good young player and looked at the last 10 years would you stay at City... even this season when he's tried to get shot of players like Sawyers and Rino, had no interest even from leagues below and then continues to involve them in the squad and starting lineup over youngsters like King, Joel Colwill and Ashford. We don't help ourselves with this.
    Southampton are losing their best players. Sunderland, too. They've got great academies and blood their players. That's not to say we can't improve, we definitely can but we are helpless when PL clubs come knocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Southampton are losing their best players. Sunderland, too. They've got great academies and blood their players. That's not to say we can't improve, we definitely can but we are helpless when PL clubs come knocking.
    Agree entirely. If they ARE free to move to a bigger club they would be very unlikely to get first team football for quite a while unless they were really exceptional (small fish in a big pond...). At teams like ours they SHOULD be able to see their way into the first team with consistent if not outstanding performances. Sadly that has not been the case for some time.

Premier League sides are interested in City players who are about to be considered for Academy contracts at the age of 16, but when is the last time we had interest in a home produced player older than that from bigger clubs? The reason for this is that we’re so useless at bringing on talent once they get into their late teens and beyond.

Having watched all of the home games the under 21s have played this season and what he has done when he’s come on in Cup games for the first team, I really don’t know what more Joel Colwill can do to show he is ready for exposure to Championship football. One thing Rinomhotagives us is more mobility and stamina in central midfield, but Colwill can do that while offering more of a goal threat. However, it’s obvious that Bulut is not going to use him or Ashford in the first team in a league game - for Bulut you could read the same for the large majority of recent managers, is it any wonder our Academy has, largely been a waste of space in the last decade?

I don't think Bulut is angling for a pay off, it will consist of a might four months.

I do believe the Conte reference may be slightly relevant. Bulut hasn't been brought up in the English management system, he is used to the head coach role. Conte couldn't handle that he had to speak for the club whereas on the continent the Sporting Director or similar spoke for the transfer strategy or status. Conte lost it and said "ask Levy" one time as if WTF has that got to do with me.

Where are Choo or Dalman, we rarely hear from the owner but one of those needs to stand up. It's a very lonely place at the moment for EB.

The truth is all of little ole Plymouths front line was significantly better than ours and that's not EB fault.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Premier League sides are interested in City players who are about to be considered for Academy contracts at the age of 16, but when is the last time we had interest in a home produced player older than that from bigger clubs? The reason for this is that we’re so useless at bringing on talent once they get into their late teens and beyond.

Having watched all of the home games the under 21s have played this season and what he has done when he’s come on in Cup games for the first team, I really don’t know what more Joel Colwill can do to show he is ready for exposure to Championship football. One thing Rinomhotagives us is more mobility and stamina in central midfield, but Colwill can do that while offering more of a goal threat. However, it’s obvious that Bulut is not going to use him or Ashford in the first team in a league game - for Bulut you could read the same for the large majority of recent managers, is it any wonder our Academy has, largely been a waste of space in the last decade?
    I'm not disagreeing with you but post Brexit it is going to very, very difficult to hold onto our best 15/16 year olds. We have used our youngsters well, both of those things are true. I'd have played Joel Colwill or Ashford yesterday. If they're miles off it, why have they got 5/4 year deals?

There is a huge step up from U-21 football to the championship, why over-face the kids. Etete is older, and from a higher grade U21 competition and is nowhere near championship level, why kill the kids? They need L2>L1 then championship and I believe thats what the plan is.

Surely Eli King is well ahead of Joel Colwill?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    There is a huge step up from U-21 football to the championship, why over-face the kids. Etete is older, and from a higher grade U21 competition and is nowhere near championship level, why kill the kids? They need L2>L1 then championship and I believe thats what the plan is.

Etete isn't good enough, so why does he keep getting games? We know he isn't. We know Rino isn't, neither is Romeo etc. We keep playing players that aren't good enough but we'll never know how good our young players are if they don't play. This is dire stuff now, some of our senior players are so far out of their depth we might as well play some of the kids.

King is having a good loan season, this is what the loan system is there for. It's helped us, him and Morecambe (and hopefully now Ross County).

Etete isn't good enough, so why does he keep getting games? We know he isn't. We know Rino isn't, neither is Romeo etc. We keep playing players that aren't good enough but we'll never know how good our young players are if they don't play. This is dire stuff now, some of our senior players are so far out of their depth we might as well play some of the kids.

King is having a good loan season, this is what the loan system is there for. It's helped us, him and Morecambe (and hopefully now Ross County).
    I can't think like a football manager as the metrics are totally different to my line of work.

But, it would be tough going into a company and saying to the MD "you know the senior staff you are paying £400~£600k salaries to are not very good (you recruited them) and i am going to promote the interns to do their job"

I would imagine the bloke who sanctioned the "best ever recruitment" would insist on you working your magic on them, or perhaps you are not all that after all

I can't think like a football manager as the metrics are totally different to my line of work.

But, it would be tough going into a company and saying to the MD "you know the senior staff you are paying £400~£600k salaries to are not very good (you recruited them) and i am going to promote the interns to do their job"

I would imagine the bloke who sanctioned the "best ever recruitment" would insist on you working your magic on them, or perhaps you are not all that after all
    Tan is on record as saying he wants the kids to come through. Our best ever recruitment stinks. Everyone involved bar the board has gone. Our players are crap, that is obvious and any manager would have told that to Tan and Dalman. We have been circling the drain for 2 and a half seasons now.

How come the wurzels constantly find players who can bridge the gap between under 21 and first team football, yet have never been able to establish any dominance over us at age group football in the near twenty years we’ve had an Academy? Bristol seem able to sell one, sometimes two, Academy produced youngster(s) to the Premier League for £10 million plus a season though - their attitude towards their Academy puts ours to shame.

Apart from pre season friendlies and the occasional under 21 international, I’ve not seen Eli King play this season, I’ve seen plenty of Joel Colwill though and I can’t believe he’d be worse than our first team midfielders if he was given a chance to establish himself in our Championship team.

How come the wurzels constantly find players who can bridge the gap between under 21 and first team football, yet have never been able to establish any dominance over us at age group football in the near twenty years we’ve had an Academy? Bristol seem able to sell one, sometimes two, Academy produced youngster(s) to the Premier League for £10 million plus a season though - their attitude towards their Academy puts ours to shame.

Apart from pre season friendlies and the occasional under 21 international, I’ve not seen Eli King play this season, I’ve seen plenty of Joel Colwill though and I can’t believe he’d be worse than our first team midfielders if he was given a chance to establish himself in our Championship team.
    Are Bristol Cat A? If not how come they keep their schoolboys from the Cat A vultures

Are Bristol Cat A? If not how come they keep their schoolboys from the Cat A vultures
    No, we wouldn’t be playing them twice a season if they were category A. I’d say that the difference is that Bristol youngsters get into the first team, develop further in it and eventually become stand out performers in it - players can only do so much developing if they are limited to under 21 football and/or loaned out to League two teams or below.

Re: Erol Bulut to consider his future after sending strong message to the board

At the risk of repeating what others have said, Bulut showed his lack of understanding of the Championship with some of his early tactical decisions. He was lucky that we had Ramsey the first 6 games, and the free and loan rejects he had at his disposal performed above their usual ability at the start.
    As time has gone on, these players have reverted to type, or have been found out, as has Bulut's tacticts.
    The big question is with the addition of 3/4, will the team.play better, or has has Bulut been found out? Like most, I'm not sure, but I don't think giving Bulut the bullet at this stage would do anything for Cardiff City in the short or long term.
    It seems Tan has his reservations, as promised funds have not materialised. After Bulut's outburst yesterday the writing may be on the wall, and yet another managerial sacking is in the offing.

I know an ex City academy coach who has sent his 2 lads to Bristol City's academy. Watching them v West Ham it was startling just how comfortable, confident quick and strong their young players are. They're just coached differently, it can't be anything else. Whenever one out ours makes a [rare] 1st team appearance, you can straight away see they're not the complete deal.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know an ex City academy coach who has sent his 2 lads to Bristol City's academy. Watching them v West Ham it was startling just how comfortable, confident quick and strong their young players are. They're just coached differently, it can't be anything else. Whenever one out ours makes a [rare] 1st team appearance, you can straight away see they're not the complete deal.
    There's also another consideration that I've heard. Does our first XI play the same sort of game as the under 21s? Nathan Blake used to be critical of the style of play our first team played as it offered no progression for the younger players to move seemlessly into. Swansea, as an example, play the same style from kids to first team (perhaps until Duff went there), so youngsters could slot in easily. Imagine you're a technically good midfield kid who enjoys passing and movement. There aren't many City first teams that player could slot into.

Re: Erol Bulut to consider his future after sending strong message to the board

The club must issue a statement today with an explanation of the current situation. Any club where the owner, board, manager and players are not all pulling in the same direction is going to fail. Could someone show some leadership please!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There's also another consideration that I've heard. Does our first XI play the same sort of game as the under 21s? Nathan Blake used to be critical of the style of play our first team played as it offered no progression for the younger players to move seemlessly into. Swansea, as an example, play the same style from kids to first team (perhaps until Duff went there), so youngsters could slot in easily. Imagine you're a technically good midfield kid who enjoys passing and movement. There aren't many City first teams that player could slot into.
    That hits the nail on the head: there is no vision nor strategy in the club's approach to the footballing aspects.

If the decision maker(s) just took a few steps back and looked at how smaller, modestly run clubs become successful, they'd see that such a vision is not some inconsequential nicety; it underpin that success.

Because a poor Etete is still better than the youth alternatives at the moment.

I'm not saying don't play the Youth but we do need the points too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisp White Lines View Post
    That hits the nail on the head: there is no vision nor strategy in the club's approach to the footballing aspects.

If the decision maker(s) just took a few steps back and looked at how smaller, modestly run clubs become successful, they'd see that such a vision is not some inconsequential nicety; it underpin that success.
    I can hear the quote already "I was talking to Sharon last week and saying I had unfinished business, they were kind of club...."

International

I'm not disagreeing with you but post Brexit it is going to very, very difficult to hold onto our best 15/16 year olds. We have used our youngsters well, both of those things are true. I'd have played Joel Colwill or Ashford yesterday. If they're miles off it, why have they got 5/4 year deals?
    What's Brexit got to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Put yourself into Sludge / Wilson mode.... This is quite clearly the fault of Thatcher and a direct correlation to Brexit. If we had a better more cohesive social fabric aligned to core Labour values none of this would have happened and we would still be in the prem with a team full of local kids

#Tories out blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Premier League clubs can't sign under 18s from abroad now, so they have to sign the best domestic talent.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Because a poor Etete is still better than the youth alternatives at the moment.

I'm not saying don't play the Youth but we do need the points too.
    I bet there were Wednesday fans saying that about not playing Bailey Cadamarteri. He's come in and look what's happened.

Some of the players we are playing are so bad, I don't think it matters if the youth players aren't good enough.

I bet there were Wednesday fans saying that about not playing Bailey Cadamarteri. He's come in and look what's happened.

Some of the players we are playing are so bad, I don't think it matters if the youth players aren't good enough.
    Watching Etete is more like 'cut an artery' than Cadamarteri.......