+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 126 to 142 of 142

Thread: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

  1. #126

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No need for a ‘why’.

    Your ‘why’ question is just to enable a feedback loop to your invented supernatural and needy world view.

    Disingenuous and dishonest.
    Yes, I too have family damage from religion, and there is a solution. However it can't be denied that everyone has a world view, even if they don't recognise it as such; as for trying to stop people asking the 'why?' questions - don't hold your breath!

    Furthermore, multiple rants can't ever refute a robust world view, they are simply waste of energy.

  2. #127
    First Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,334

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Yes, I too have family damage from religion, and there is a solution. However it can't be denied that everyone has a world view, even if they don't recognise it as such; as for trying to stop people asking the 'why?' questions - don't hold your breath!

    Furthermore, multiple rants can't ever refute a robust world view, they are simply waste of energy.
    Time to quit the feeble evangelizing - I think it's time for you to meander off into your magic book twilight zone again.

    While you're away you may want to ponder all the horrific events that have taken place in the name of your "god". I'm firmly opposed to religion - it's the primary source of bigotry on Earth - all you lot do is attempt to do is hubristically "other" people creating barriers that needn't exist.

    (P.S. Don't come back until you've done some reading on Physics, Evolution and Scientific Method. When you demonstrate your ignorance, as you have several times in this thread, you come across as a moron.)

  3. #128
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,232

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Yes, I too have family damage from religion, and there is a solution. However it can't be denied that everyone has a world view, even if they don't recognise it as such; as for trying to stop people asking the 'why?' questions - don't hold your breath!

    Furthermore, multiple rants can't ever refute a robust world view, they are simply waste of energy.
    Why do you think I have ‘family damage’ from religion? That is not what I shared a week or so back. I explained that I had rejected religion and faith (aged 12) but was familiar with many of the arguments and had spent my life (not obsessively) thinking about them and debating them with my dad. Calling that ‘family damage’ is wrong and arrogant.

    Of course everyone has a world view - however incomplete or contradictory. I was referring to your world view not world views in general. It is your world view that requires a ‘why’. As far as I am concerned there is no need to overlay a supernatural explanation for natural events and evolution. What is - is. There may be a cultural drive to invent stories to make things more understandable or comfortable, but that is a human spin by the confused and disturbed. I don’t expect you or others to stop asking ‘why’. I am just saying it is not needed. How is a good question. Why is redundant.

    You are really accusing someone else of ‘multiple rants’? At least you have found a sense of humour!

  4. #129

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Time to quit the feeble evangelizing - I think it's time for you to meander off into your magic book twilight zone again.

    While you're away you may want to ponder all the horrific events that have taken place in the name of your "god". I'm firmly opposed to religion - it's the primary source of bigotry on Earth - all you lot do is attempt to do is hubristically "other" people creating barriers that needn't exist.

    (P.S. Don't come back until you've done some reading on Physics, Evolution and Scientific Method. When you demonstrate your ignorance, as you have several times in this thread, you come across as a moron.)
    If you'd read even 10% of my posts, you know that I was firmly opposed to religion.
    And if you wish to come back with the idea of evolution, I'll be more than ready.

  5. #130

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Why do you think I have ‘family damage’ from religion? That is not what I shared a week or so back. I explained that I had rejected religion and faith (aged 12) but was familiar with many of the arguments and had spent my life (not obsessively) thinking about them and debating them with my dad. Calling that ‘family damage’ is wrong and arrogant.

    Of course everyone has a world view - however incomplete or contradictory. I was referring to your world view not world views in general. It is your world view that requires a ‘why’. As far as I am concerned there is no need to overlay a supernatural explanation for natural events and evolution. What is - is. There may be a cultural drive to invent stories to make things more understandable or comfortable, but that is a human spin by the confused and disturbed. I don’t expect you or others to stop asking ‘why’. I am just saying it is not needed. How is a good question. Why is redundant.

    You are really accusing someone else of ‘multiple rants’? At least you have found a sense of humour!
    It was very clear that your dad had been given religious ideas which in no way satisfied your enquiring mind; had he been given the facts that connect science and scripture, then no damage would have been done and your world view would be nothing like it is now.

    You say, "There may be a cultural drive to invent stories to make things more understandable"

    Why don't you pick one of these so called "stories" relating to our origin and let's pull it apart and see how it stacks up against the scientific answer.

  6. #131

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Fair enough. Though unless you are an Aremaic, Hebrew or Latin scholar (spoiler alert...you're not) you must then have a go to text to overrule all those other versions. What is it?
    I seemed to have missed this query, my apologies. I have several Bible Dictionaries including Vines, which over a period of 40 years have rarely left me with any grey areas of understanding from the original languages.
    More recently there is a brilliant online resource called the Blue Letter Bible, which brings together 'Strongs' and a number of other Bible Word references - here is an example from one verse at the start of John's Gospel - John 1:1

    Also, did you have any thoughts on the scientific content that writers over 2000 years ago could not possibly have known about from any human discovery of the day?

    For example:

    1. "The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth..." (2 Samuel 22:16): written 2,700 years ago.

    2. You threw me into the ocean depths and I sank down to the heart of the sea......I sank down to the very roots of the mountains. (from Jonah 2:3,6) - Written around 2,400 years ago.

    ......which have not been seen (due to the incredible underwater pressure) or discovered by any humans until 110 years ago!?

    * April 27, 1914 – First Acoustic Exploration of the Sea Floor - Canadian inventor Reginald Fessenden found a way to employ an oscillator to bounce sound waves between an iceberg and the sea floor. This technology lead to the development of we now know as sonar.

  7. #132
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,232

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    It was very clear that your dad had been given religious ideas which in no way satisfied your enquiring mind; had he been given the facts that connect science and scripture, then no damage would have been done and your world view would be nothing like it is now.

    You say, "There may be a cultural drive to invent stories to make things more understandable"

    Why don't you pick one of these so called "stories" relating to our origin and let's pull it apart and see how it stacks up against the scientific answer.
    No damage was done. In fact the opposite. But thank you for your misplaced and contrived concern.

  8. #133

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No damage was done. In fact the opposite. But thank you for your misplaced and contrived concern.
    Again, when you are challenged to substantiate your comments like "there may be a cultural drive to invent stories..." we discover that as usual it's all bluster. Will you ever have something more than froth?

  9. #134
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,232

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Again, when you are challenged to substantiate your comments like "there may be a cultural drive to invent stories..." we discover that as usual it's all bluster. Will you ever have something more than froth?
    A not unexpected swerve from the comment to which I responded. You have previous of course.

    As to ‘bluster’ or ‘froth’ I think you are thrashing around again. Maybe even ranting?

    You are all the evidence that is needed to show that some people need to invent stories to satisfy their bewilderment and need for a supernatural comfort blanket. You offer no evidence of your beliefs - just circular and self-referential non-arguments. They are based on irrationality and snake oil pronouncements. All cultists do the same. Maybe time to chuck out a few more verses from your book to prove your point?

    No damage done here by my failure to swallow your fairy stories. You however appear to be seriously damaged. Pray for truthpaste!!


  10. #135

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A not unexpected swerve from the comment to which I responded. You have previous of course.

    As to ‘bluster’ or ‘froth’ I think you are thrashing around again. Maybe even ranting?

    You are all the evidence that is needed to show that some people need to invent stories to satisfy their bewilderment and need for a supernatural comfort blanket. You offer no evidence of your beliefs - just circular and self-referential non-arguments. They are based on irrationality and snake oil pronouncements. All cultists do the same. Maybe time to chuck out a few more verses from your book to prove your point?

    No damage done here by my failure to swallow your fairy stories. You however appear to be seriously damaged. Pray for truthpaste!!

    Prayers to your god would be rather pointless, he is as compromised as those who unwittingly serve him. As for me, I have never offered myself up as a beacon for hope; alone I am as hopeless, guilty and lost as you are.

    People here already know that I point to the Word of God as containing the only message of hope for us all.
    And in turn, the Bible points to the only One who can save to the uttermost, He is the Lord Jesus Christ.

    Sludge and others have desperately tried to hold up science as some sort of valid alternative! But when asked to present their chosen 'god', they have like so many others, simply ranted without any substance or ran away.
    Of course they are not scared of me, they are terrified of the consequences of facing the God of the Bible, for them it would be far better if that 'dreadful' Book were invalidated, then all their fears would just go away.

    They are also miscalculating what their life would be like if they allowed God to be part of it.....
    447306826_10162017441673083_6348859745119668200_n.jpg

  11. #136
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,232

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    I would be very surprised if Sludge was terrified of your imaginary friend.

  12. #137

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Prayers to your god would be rather pointless, he is as compromised as those who unwittingly serve him. As for me, I have never offered myself up as a beacon for hope; alone I am as hopeless, guilty and lost as you are.

    People here already know that I point to the Word of God as containing the only message of hope for us all.
    And in turn, the Bible points to the only One who can save to the uttermost, He is the Lord Jesus Christ.

    Sludge and others have desperately tried to hold up science as some sort of valid alternative! But when asked to present their chosen 'god', they have like so many others, simply ranted without any substance or ran away.
    Of course they are not scared of me, they are terrified of the consequences of facing the God of the Bible, for them it would be far better if that 'dreadful' Book were invalidated, then all their fears would just go away.

    They are also miscalculating what their life would be like if they allowed God to be part of it.....
    447306826_10162017441673083_6348859745119668200_n.jpg
    Is that Victoria Beckham and her fella ?

  13. #138

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would be very surprised if Sludge was terrified of your imaginary friend.
    I need to meet him before I can deduce if he's scary

    Waiting for Mr Paste to find him

  14. #139
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,232

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I need to meet him before I can deduce if he's scary

    Waiting for Mr Paste to find him
    Long wait Sludge.

  15. #140

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Long wait Sludge.
    It is quite strange that any one believes that.
    I hope he is happy and care free but leave us alone.
    You are not going to change us.
    We have all had some involement with religion but have rejected it.
    Hope he can see sense.

  16. #141

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    It is quite strange that any one believes that.
    I hope he is happy and care free but leave us alone.
    You are not going to change us.
    We have all had some involement with religion but have rejected it.
    Hope he can see sense.
    The penny still refuses to drop when it comes to religion. NB: all religion has done is confuse people and offer them false hope.
    Religion was an enemy to the Man who was crucified for you, as the religious people wanted Him dead.
    All people who just follow religion are lost, they will perish, and for eternity.

    Here's one example, do/ did you know any religious man with the title 'Father' (?)

    Note the Words of Jesus on religious leaders in Matthew 23:-

    They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.... “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels.
    And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your Father. But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

    “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are!

    “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools!

  17. #142

    Re: "Science is not perfect but it trumps faith and belief all the time" - true or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would be very surprised if Sludge was terrified of your imaginary friend.
    Spot on, currently like yourself he isn't.

    Hence, 'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom' (Proverbs 9:10)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •