+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artists and their concert playlists

Artists and their concert playlists

I see that the subject of artists and their playlists has been highlighted due to Taylor Swift having such a huge back catalogue and a new album which is 'different' that choosing what she sings on her latest world tour has become a topic for discussion.

It addressed an issue that I've had for a few years, namely should I pay inflated prices for concert tickets when I actively disliked much of the artist's live set.

It started with Jools Holland. For many years, I enjoyed his show and his guest stars who included Dave Edmunds. It hit a low when another guest was Lulu!

I've shelled out £100 twice to see Joe Bonamassa - and thought his set was brilliant. But after watching his live shows on YouTube for the last few years, I've made a conscious decision that I won't pay £100 to watch him play his current concert selection.

Beth Hart is another who's song choice I question. She has a brilliant voice and is a charismatic stage presence. Her album output is very listenable, but when I saw her at St Davids Hall, I hated most of her material.

Is this a case of an artist progressing; but this fan being rooted in the past? How should old favourites be balanced with selections from a new album?

Re: Artists and their concert playlists

My favourite albums are the early Roxy Music recordings with Eno. I haven't even listened to their AOR later albums. Absolutely no interest. I saw them a few times back in the day but I couldn't sit through Dance Away and Avalon so won't go see them again.

I wouldn't pay £100 to see anyone!
    Ridiculous prices these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Neither would I. Most bands I see cost up to £30 max. I've got tickets for October's Swn festival which cost £80 odd for 2 1/2 days of music.

However, it's worth remembering that bands don't make very much money from streaming so touring is a bigger source of income than it used to be. Not that it applies to those acts mentioned.

Most artists of any standing weaves the new with the old. Many people go to hear what they may consider to be the artist's old classics but creative artists want their new material to be heard too.

I went to Southampton and London two weeks ago to see Robin Trower (tickets being around £30) and he did just that. (I was fortunate in seeing 2 of his 4 UK gigs and before he had to call off his US tour due to ill-health.)

As for Jools Holland, I saw him and his band a few days earlier at Yate Football Club (a very humble venue numbers-wise) - and when Lulu toured with him several years ago and came on for a cameo role I thought she was terrific.

As for performances in enormous hangars such as the NEC, Wembley Stadium, the Millennium Stadium and anywhere else where you watch the video screens as the artists are so far away: I don't really consider them to be a kosher gig as I consider there to be such a disconnect.

As for Joe Bonamassa, who I have really come to like as a person (from afar, of course) but I thought his gig at Hammersmith many, many years ago lacked a bit of soul. His enthusiasm for guitar hardware and accoutrements is very infectious.

Haven’t you got Alexa ?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Don't forget the legal theft of a 'booking' fee, on top of that ridiculous amount. Just another way to exploit music fans and rip them off. It's a pity sheeple pay this added 'theft tax' on top of a ticket. If people refused to pay it, then bands would have to look at other ways of selling tickets for a gig. I refuse to pay it. I'm lucky inasmuch as I saw all the bands I wanted to see between September '74 and 2005 without paying this stupid, dumb, laughable amount on top of an extortionate ticket price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Don't forget the legal theft of a 'booking' fee, on top of that ridiculous amount. Just another way to exploit music fans and rip them off. It's a pity sheeple pay this added 'theft tax' on top of a ticket. If people refused to pay it, then bands would have to look at other ways of selling tickets for a gig. I refuse to pay it. I'm lucky inasmuch as I saw all the bands I wanted to see between September '74 and 2005 without paying this stupid, dumb, laughable amount on top of an extortionate ticket price.
    Very often, the so-called additional (and compulsory) booking fee seems merely illusory. As I understand it, companies like Ticketmaster tend to control all ticketing for gigs they are involved in, set the prices and pay the venue a proportion of the sales concerned to the venue and/or artists (rather than the other way around). They seem to cream off the booking fee as an extra.

off to see James tonight and for a bargain price of 50 quid or so bargain judging by prices in general for so called 'mainstream' acts these days

to help me get in the mood hoping for a similar set list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSv86Jo7MI&t=4s

I'm not sure it mattered too much when a concert performance was reasonably priced, you were just disappointed afterwards if your favourite stuff wasn't played.

As others have said, a pisser when you've paid the cost of a mini holiday and don't recognise the songs played (sometimes the voice too!)

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    off to see James tonight and for a bargain price of 50 quid or so bargain judging by prices in general for so called 'mainstream' acts these days

to help me get in the mood hoping for a similar set list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSv86Jo7MI&t=4s

Saw them a few years back and felt ripped off.
    Not due to the songs played nor prices, it looked like someone else was singing as he'd no longer had the curly locks. He'd shaved his head!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    My favourite albums are the early Roxy Music recordings with Eno. I haven't even listened to their AOR later albums. Absolutely no interest. I saw them a few times back in the day but I couldn't sit through Dance Away and Avalon so won't go see them again.
    I saw Roxy Music at the Kensington Court Club in Newport (early 70's) just as Virginia Plain was becoming a hit. A very intimate venue, probably less than 200 crammed in, standing room only, I was barely two yards from Eno himself.

I also saw the Fripp-Eno concert at the Paladium in London in 1975, I think.

StT.
    <><

Setlist.fm

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    ....should I pay inflated prices for concert tickets....
    No. Not ever. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    This was talked about on the Rest Is Entertainment podcast last week, specifically about Ticketmaster.

Ticketmaster has exclusive rights with some venues and actually owns other venues. So it's not a case of fans being sheeple, there's just no other choice for artists and bands to do something else. They cannot sell tickets some other way.

I think the US are looking into it as a monopoly, quite rightly. But don't point the finger at fans for this.

They are meant to be top drawer on this tour. I'm seeing them in Manchester on Friday, come back and do a review.

This should have been in reply to Mozzer2s post, re James
    Last edited by Peajay; 11-06-24 at 17:21. Reason: Tropical Fish

Watching bands tour a debut album is always good, as are established acts like the Cure who hardly wrote a dud song.

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5516904]I went to Southampton and London two weeks ago to see Robin Trower (tickets being around £30) and he did just that. (I was fortunate in seeing 2 of his 4 UK gigs and before he had to call off his US tour due to ill-health.)

There's a great YouTube video here of the complete show from Islington 28 May 2024 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybr0...annel=R.Poyart You are at 58.06 and 1.15.23

[QUOTE=Cyclops;5517052]
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I went to Southampton and London two weeks ago to see Robin Trower (tickets being around £30) and he did just that. (I was fortunate in seeing 2 of his 4 UK gigs and before he had to call off his US tour due to ill-health.)

There's a great YouTube video here of the complete show from Islington 28 May 2024 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybr0...annel=R.Poyart You are at 58.06 and 1.15.23
    He threw his plectrum adorned with the letters RT into the crowd at Southampton and it landed at my feet. What a pity that I can't play a note....

[QUOTE=Taunton Blue Genie;5517070]

He threw his plectrum adorned with the letters RT into the crowd at Southampton and it landed at my feet. What a pity that I can't play a note....
    What was your first touch like?

I see that the subject of artists and their playlists has been highlighted due to Taylor Swift having such a huge back catalogue and a new album which is 'different' that choosing what she sings on her latest world tour has become a topic for discussion.

It addressed an issue that I've had for a few years, namely should I pay inflated prices for concert tickets when I actively disliked much of the artist's live set.

It started with Jools Holland. For many years, I enjoyed his show and his guest stars who included Dave Edmunds. It hit a low when another guest was Lulu!

I've shelled out £100 twice to see Joe Bonamassa - and thought his set was brilliant. But after watching his live shows on YouTube for the last few years, I've made a conscious decision that I won't pay £100 to watch him play his current concert selection.

Beth Hart is another who's song choice I question. She has a brilliant voice and is a charismatic stage presence. Her album output is very listenable, but when I saw her at St Davids Hall, I hated most of her material.

Is this a case of an artist progressing; but this fan being rooted in the past? How should old favourites be balanced with selections from a new album?
    I think paying big wonga for a gig ......or a festival ....or any kind of event ..is a personal think but its definitely become a bit of a piss take

I am glad I have seen most of the bands that float my boat and I don't think I would break the bank or line someone's pocket to see a band these days

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    They are meant to be top drawer on this tour. I'm seeing them in Manchester on Friday, come back and do a review.

This should have been in reply to Mozzer2s post, re James
    just got in nightmare getting home i believe Pink were in town too traffic congestion everywhere

James were on top form . Songs ranged from there new album to the classics from the 90's

saw them in the early 90's too when they churned out classic punchy tunes but tonight they were more polished in delivery

Support band Razor light were half decent too so a good night out you won't be disappointed

Tomorrow and getting away with it still lingering in my head

Just so as we're clear here, this thread is not about the cost of concert tickets (which is another subject altogether) but about the artist's choice of songs in a gig playlist.

So, in the Robin Trower video mentioned earlier, he kicked off with a recent song, but included several of his crowd pleasers in his set. I'd have loved to have seen him at a venue like Islington and was pleasantly surprised to see that Walter Trout was also playing there. I saw him at the Tramshed - 'cos I can pay cheaper prices too, but see no need to brag about it! Incidentally, I see Geno Washington is at the Earl Haig in September.

Just so as we're clear here, this thread is not about the cost of concert tickets (which is another subject altogether) but about the artist's choice of songs in a gig playlist.

So, in the Robin Trower video mentioned earlier, he kicked off with a recent song, but included several of his crowd pleasers in his set. I'd have loved to have seen him at a venue like Islington and was pleasantly surprised to see that Walter Trout was also playing there. I saw him at the Tramshed - 'cos I can pay cheaper prices too, but see no need to brag about it! Incidentally, I see Geno Washington is at the Earl Haig in September.
    I've seen Walter Trout many times and I've got tickets to see him again in Frome in a few months time - and for just £30.50 plus booking fee. It's quite handy not being into only popular bands that cost a fortune to see.

In reply to OP's question I think it's more of an issue for bigger artists with vast back catalogues, as inevitably peoples personal favourites are not going to make the cut. I saw Springsteen the other week and was having too much of a good time to realise he didn't play Glory Days, which is my personal favourite and arguably one of his biggest hits.

On Metallica's most recent tour, they seem to have addressed this by playing 2 nights in each venue with 2 different set lists.

Ive never seen Van Morrison but didn't he used to get shit for playing obscure set lists with none of his "hits"?

Re the ticket prices, it's well beyond time that regulatory action was taken against Live Nation (which owns Ticketmaster and half the venues). Their dynamic pricing model should be illegal and it's shocking that they've had such a free reign over what's a pretty lucrative industry for so long.