+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC R2 or Greatest Hits Radio?

BBC R2 or Greatest Hits Radio?

I tuned in to GHR when Ken Bruce joined mainly due to Popmaster but when they started demanding a subscription I thought bugger it, I don't listen to it that much.
    The GHR ads were annoying too and, although you can get ad free, costs extra.

I have to say that that Vernon Kaye, who is as thick as a whale omelette, gets right on my nerves and his Ten to the Top not a patch on Popmaster.

Zoe Ball (as Kaye), Jeremy Vine a definite no no, Sarah Cox I can just about stand as Jo Wiley.

Steve Wright is missed.

Anyone recommend any other shows worth listening to, as background stuff not to "get down to"?

Re: BBC R2 or Greatest Hits Radio?

Boom is my preference

P'rhaps a decade or two early for me AS but thanks for your input.

I did used to like sounds of the sixties on a Saturday morning though when I were a lad.
    All the older colleagues chirping away with their old courting stories

It’s a bit of a dilemma now since Radio 2’s ridiculous cull. At the moment I listen to GHR until the end of Popmaster, then switch to LBC for James O’Brian, GHR has just gone back on now. As I say, it’s a dilemma and, has been mentioned, ads are a pain but bugger paying for ad free.

Greatest Hits Radio even with the adverts is miles better than what Radio 2 has become.

But do not knock Boom Radio if you are like myself north of 60, they play some decent stuff and the presenters are well informed and sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Greatest Hits Radio even with the adverts is miles better than what Radio 2 has become.

But do not knock Boom Radio if you are like myself north of 60, they play some decent stuff and the presenters are well informed and sensible.
    Scot Mills ain't too bad.

On Boom now... "More More More".... and I do kinda like it

This.

The ads on GH are very annoying, especially that cringeworthy Octupus energy ad ! But I like Ken, in the main the music they play is good and I think Simon Mayo always does a great show.

On the whole I’ve warmed to R2 though individually some presenters irritate me:

Owain Wyn Evans. No. Unnecessary. Too…..well, y’know.
    Zoe Ball. Yeh, go on then.
    VK: “I’ve warmed to R2 though individually some presenters irritate me.“
    Jeremy vine …. I don’t listen to that show.
    Scott mills, ye, just.
    Cox. See Scott mills
    Jo W. Cool and fit.
    Ryland. Easily the best.
    Jason M and Rev K. Enjoy.

……and yes, I live alone and don’t get out much.

GHR for me especially Ken Bruce and Simon Mayo. I find Scott Mills a bit boring and I don’t get Sara Cox at all. The adverts are annoying but I’d rather listen to them than most of Radio 2. I’ve started listening to Romesh Ranganathan on a Saturday and Paddy McGuiness is surprisingly good on a Sunday. I thought Michael Ball would be quite good replacing Steve Wright but I find the new show over the top.

International

UK Gold on Dab plays everything rom 60s right through, I don't use it all the time but the occasional hour or so, specially on long journeys can be memory lanetime.

First Team

R4 anyone? I'll get my coat ...

Has anyone considered topping themselves mistakenly tuning in to Zoe Ball?

R2 is shit. They might as well just play Elton John's greatest hits CD on repeat because the music they play really is that bland.

R6.

International

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    yup, and R4 Extra

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    R2 is shit. They might as well just play Elton John's greatest hits CD on repeat because the music they play really is that bland.
    The fact it's the most listened to station in the UK maybe says more about your taste in music than what Radio 2 plays. That's not me having a go at your taste in music, btw. Radio 2 is mostly middle of the road and has been for years. What it defines as MOR has seen a big shift in the last decade and it's now rare to hear anything before the 80s. It targets an age range of 30s to 50s which, needless to say, is different now than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. I think the BBC is missing an opportunity to create a national station that caters for those in their 50s and over, but for it to be on DAB or online would be missing a trick somewhat.

If you're more of a rocker, metal fan, dance music devotee etc, Radio 2 isn't going to float your boat. It isn't meant to appeal to everyone. That's impossible. Thankfully there are lots of stations out there for virtually every musical taste. Just because a station doesn't appeal to somebody doesn't mean it's crap, bland etc, it's just about our individual tastes.

Nowadays I tend to listen to Radio Wales if I listen to anything at all. Not for music, but I prefer hearing about news and things that go on in Wales than about the UK or England.

R4 is terrific. History, geography, philosophy, astronomy, gastronomy........ I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue!

Radio 4 extra is also a good listen.
    Old desert island discs and classic comedy

MAGIC RADIO

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Has anyone considered topping themselves mistakenly tuning in to Zoe Ball?
    Totally agree. Over the top drivel !

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    isn't that the point of R2?

in what way has radio 2 changed? It was always been MOR bland shite

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    R4 is terrific. History, geography, philosophy, astronomy, gastronomy........ I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue!
    definitely, occasionally get some decent dramas on there as well - I draw the line at the archers though

I heard err Zoe Ball once when I was err in the err doctor's cos they err pipe Radio 2 through err, the thingy, the tannoy, is it called a tannoy? Anyway, err, what was I saying? Here's Jamiroquai.

today on R4 is perfectly fine before 9am, then its 6music. Why you'd want to listen to another music station is beyond me.