+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

  1. #1

    The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    For those who are voting for him, what is your main reason for doing it?

  2. #2

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For those who are voting for him, what is your main reason for doing it?
    I'm not, but I imagine the reason lots will be voting for him is to get rid of the Tories. In fact I don't think there have been many elections, if any, since Blair in 1997 where most people have voted FOR something, but to stop the others.

  3. #3

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Can he play up front?

  4. #4

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Unless we’ve changed our voting system, shirley only those in his constituency can vote for him ?

  5. #5

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Unless weíve changed our voting system, shirley only those in his constituency can vote for him ?
    As an MP yes, but for PM he'll need widespread support.

  6. #6

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    get rid of tories 100%

  7. #7

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    The Truth!

  8. #8

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Truth!
    Are you saying that Sir Keir is telling the truth?

  9. #9

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    get rid of tories 100%
    TBF, Sunak is probably going to vote for Starmer too! I'm just trying to gauge the opinion among ordinary people here in South Wales.

  10. #10

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For those who are voting for him, what is your main reason for doing it?
    Because one maybe a closet Tory?

    It's a bit like folk saying they hate porn, then indulge in a descret way when alone.


    Closett tossing, could be a thing.

  11. #11

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For those who are voting for him, what is your main reason for doing it?
    Get rid of the Tories

  12. #12

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    The only thing he has going for him is that he doesn't represent the Tory Party. I'd hesitate to claim he isn't a Tory though.

  13. #13
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    For those who are voting for him, what is your main reason for doing it?
    I'm not voting for Starmer or his circle. He is a right wing, racist, serial liar with the personality of a plank. I will vote Labour.

    Two reasons:

    1. My local MP (Olivia Blake) is one of the good ones and if she doesn't get in it will be the Lib Dems (yellow Tories) again;

    2. Labour still has a majority of trades unions as affiliates and part funders (the reason the party was founded - to represent organised labour in Parliament) and still just about has the ability to hold one of Labour's feet close to the fire. That organisational, political and financial connection is weakening every year and if it finally breaks Labour will be like every other party (reduced membership, donors and lobbyists dictating policy with no counter balance, few roots and no pretence at internal democracy).

    I was a Labour member for over 30 years but no longer. They don't get my time, money or commitment any more; they just about get my vote (for now).

  14. #14

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not voting for Starmer or his circle. He is a right wing, racist, serial liar with the personality of a plank. I will vote Labour.

    Two reasons:

    1. My local MP (Olivia Blake) is one of the good ones and if she doesn't get in it will be the Lib Dems (yellow Tories) again;

    2. Labour still has a majority of trades unions as affiliates and part funders (the reason the party was founded - to represent organised labour in Parliament) and still just about has the ability to hold one of Labour's feet close to the fire. That organisational, political and financial connection is weakening every year and if it finally breaks Labour will be like every other party (reduced membership, donors and lobbyists dictating policy with no counter balance, few roots and no pretence at internal democracy).

    I was a Labour member for over 30 years but no longer. They don't get my time, money or commitment any more; they just about get my vote (for now).

    Hypocrisy . You hated thier type and Blair .

  15. #15
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hypocrisy . You hated thier type and Blair .
    Do you have a point?

  16. #16
    International
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North Cardiff ha ha
    Posts
    6,116

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm not, but I imagine the reason lots will be voting for him is to get rid of the Tories. In fact I don't think there have been many elections, if any, since Blair in 1997 where most people have voted FOR something, but to stop the others.
    Who are you voting for then?

  17. #17
    International
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North Cardiff ha ha
    Posts
    6,116

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not voting for Starmer or his circle. He is a right wing, racist, serial liar with the personality of a plank. I will vote Labour.

    Two reasons:

    1. My local MP (Olivia Blake) is one of the good ones and if she doesn't get in it will be the Lib Dems (yellow Tories) again;

    2. Labour still has a majority of trades unions as affiliates and part funders (the reason the party was founded - to represent organised labour in Parliament) and still just about has the ability to hold one of Labour's feet close to the fire. That organisational, political and financial connection is weakening every year and if it finally breaks Labour will be like every other party (reduced membership, donors and lobbyists dictating policy with no counter balance, few roots and no pretence at internal democracy).

    I was a Labour member for over 30 years but no longer. They don't get my time, money or commitment any more; they just about get my vote (for now).
    Labour is a vote for Starmer you can't say it's not.

  18. #18
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Labour is a vote for Starmer you can't say it's not.
    It is a vote that helps Starmer into No 10, and hopefully keeps my local MP in Parliament. It keeps out the Tories. It ensures my trade union has some small influence with a Labour government (as opposed to no influence with any other possible government). A Labour vote is a vote for and against many things. It will be a reluctant vote for the lesser of the evils on show. The beauty is I can describe it any way that feels right to me - I don't have to adopt a trite or simplistic thought process to get there. One thing is certain - I will be up most of election night (with friends) enjoying every 'Portillo moment' that comes along. One of many silver linings to the Starmer cloud.

  19. #19

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    I am glad to see the liberals looking like they might get 60 seats

    In the likely advance of reform they will be an important buffer

  20. #20

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    As the campaign goes on Iíve become frustrated with Labour/Starmerís lack of ambition to really bring change, something I truly believe there is a huge appetite for. I understand why he doesnít, but itís about time they tell the Daily Mail to F off. The thought of the Tories crumbling to dust is a fabulous prospect and would be a well deserved conclusion for the most incompetent bunch of bandits that has ever tried to govern this country.

  21. #21

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    It was never his to win it was the conservatives to lose
    If if he doesnít deliver growth within 6 months he will have to cut services or raise taxes (lots of them)

  22. #22

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    As the campaign goes on Iíve become frustrated with Labour/Starmerís lack of ambition to really bring change, something I truly believe there is a huge appetite for. I understand why he doesnít, but itís about time they tell the Daily Mail to F off. The thought of the Tories crumbling to dust is a fabulous prospect and would be a well deserved conclusion for the most incompetent bunch of bandits that has ever tried to govern this country.
    I find it astonishing that you've had to wait for this election campaign to realise Starmer doesn't intend to make any major changes to the way the country is run.

  23. #23

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    People who revelled in the markets dictating what happened after Liz Truss's budget now being upset when politicians propose nothing radical...

  24. #24

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not voting for Starmer or his circle. He is a right wing, racist, serial liar with the personality of a plank. I will vote Labour.

    Two reasons:

    1. My local MP (Olivia Blake) is one of the good ones and if she doesn't get in it will be the Lib Dems (yellow Tories) again;

    2. Labour still has a majority of trades unions as affiliates and part funders (the reason the party was founded - to represent organised labour in Parliament) and still just about has the ability to hold one of Labour's feet close to the fire. That organisational, political and financial connection is weakening every year and if it finally breaks Labour will be like every other party (reduced membership, donors and lobbyists dictating policy with no counter balance, few roots and no pretence at internal democracy).

    I was a Labour member for over 30 years but no longer. They don't get my time, money or commitment any more; they just about get my vote (for now).
    Thanks for writing that Jon, it's exactly how i feel

  25. #25
    First Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,421

    Re: The Prime Minister in waiting, Sir Kier Starmer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    As the campaign goes on Iíve become frustrated with Labour/Starmerís lack of ambition to really bring change, something I truly believe there is a huge appetite for. I understand why he doesnít, but itís about time they tell the Daily Mail to F off. The thought of the Tories crumbling to dust is a fabulous prospect and would be a well deserved conclusion for the most incompetent bunch of bandits that has ever tried to govern this country.
    I totally get what you're saying about wanting change. I just can't see where it would come from.

    The UK is in decline and a basket case - high tax burden, low investment, stagnant productivity, failing public services, a disintegrating trade position, and a deeply-rooted cloying class system and, amazing hubris around supposed British superiority (eg. Brexit).

    There are zero degrees of freedom to change anything in such a scenario. From admittedly afar, the election appears to be a choice among different groups rearranging chairs on the Titanic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •