+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rudy Gestede

Rudy Gestede

Blackburn Rovers have appointed former striker Rudy Gestede as head of football operations.

The 35-year-old scored 35 goals in 72 appearances for Rovers before leaving for Aston Villa in July 2015.

He also had spells in English league football with Cardiff City and Middlesbrough and also played in France, Australia, Greece and Iran.

"I couldn’t take my first steps into life off the pitch in a better place than with Blackburn Rovers,” the ex-Benin international told the club website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...s/cp006rd89lgo

Banned

Re: Rudy Gestede

Gosh didn't see that coming , always thought Malky should have run with him after the decent season where he played a part in getting us up by scoring crucial goals . .

We just went out and spanked millions on a Danish slice .

Obviously I’ve never met him but after seeing him play many times, his style and way of playing I’d never would have had him down as an overseer of football operations at this standard. Perhaps looks deceive.

Banned

Think it relates to what he has successfully studied ( CEO ) qualification, it is about governance , administration, performance within an organisation ensuring it operates correctly. .

Well done Rudy .

Great goal scoring record at Blackburn, forgot he played for Villa .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think it relates to what he has successfully studied ( CEO ) qualification, it is about governance , administration, performance within an organisation ensuring it operates correctly. .

Well done Rudy .

Great goal scoring record at Blackburn, forgot he played for Villa .
    Yes, fair play to him.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Obviously I’ve never met him but after seeing him play many times, his style and way of playing I’d never would have had him down as an overseer of football operations at this standard. Perhaps looks deceive.
    A bloke who i was down the City with as a schoolboy (he was released at 18) is now Technical Director for the United States Soccer Federation after doing the same role for Southampton. He was a lump of a defender who had no touch and nobody would dare give him the ball. The point i'm making is that there is no look. The ability to study the game, understand business and management are key to a role like this i suppose. Good luck to Rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A bloke who i was down the City with as a schoolboy (he was released at 18) is now Technical Director for the United States Soccer Federation after doing the same role for Southampton. He was a lump of a defender who had no touch and nobody would dare give him the ball. The point i'm making is that there is no look. The ability to study the game, understand business and management are key to a role like this i suppose. Good luck to Rudy.
    Damn right, as I say, looks deceive, I doubt you foresaw what your old team mate would achieve. Fair play to 50 pence head, as Jimmy the Jock lovingly referred to him as

Damn right, as I say, looks deceive, I doubt you foresaw what your old team mate would achieve. Fair play to 50 pence head, as Jimmy the Jock lovingly referred to him as
    Not in a million years. He's a Llanedeyrn boy. Almost as rough as me Nathan Jones was the year below me and he's done very well. Matt Crocker (the USA Technical Director) was in the same year as jones (they were good mates) and crocker was Southampton's Head of Football operations when jones got the southampton job.....

Not in a million years. He's a Llanedeyrn boy. Almost as rough as me Nathan Jones was the year below me and he's done very well. Matt Crocker (the USA Technical Director) was in the same year as jones (they were good mates) and crocker was Southampton's Head of Football operations when jones got the southampton job.....
    Right place, right time and who you know to kick start you I s’pose.

I met Matt Crocker a few years back at Southamptons training academy at Bath's STV, he came across as very professional, handled pushy parents of players very well from my memory

It's surprised me too, more I think because I have lost track of the years and still imagined him playing. Quite a different role for a recently retired ex player also.

Not sure his style as a player would have much impact though, he wasn't really a clogger and plenty of cloggers have gone on to have very successful careers in the game after playing.

I've heard on football manager he always sets his teams up in a tiki taka style.

Not sure what head of operations would actually involve, do we have anyone like this or is it Tan? I'd rather Rudy.

I used to work with Gareth Jennings when he played for Gresley Rovers. He’s now technical director for fifa I think and something to do with the Welsh fa.

Steve Burr, ex every non league side going and Steve Taylor, ex Crystal Palace and Kidderminster harriers also worked there, we had one hell of works football team.

Was it Jimmy the Jock who christened him “50p” head ? (Or something similar)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Was it Jimmy the Jock who christened him “50p” head ? (Or something similar)
    I thought it was Leo FW who was originally given that moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Wasn’t he “square head” ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I remember hearing him called it at the time by someone near us in the ground. Was quite fitting. Legend though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wasn’t he “square head” ?
    No, definitely 50 pence head.

"A Message to You Rudy" well done mate.