+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Morgan Rum

Captain Morgan Rum

One of my earliest memories of NP was the Captain Morgan Rum on the Bob Bank roof.

I seem to remember it even got painted over once but reappeared?

For the oldies. When did it first appear? Did we get decent money for it. Must have been there years.

Re: Captain Morgan Rum

Knowing our club, the chairman probably got given a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Knowing our club, the chairman probably got given a bottle.
    🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    One of my earliest memories of NP was the Captain Morgan Rum on the Bob Bank roof.

For the oldies. When did it first appear? Did we get decent money for it. Must have been there years.
    Pretty sure it was there in the late 60s

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

41 years according to this: https://www.urban75.org/blog/the-41-...-park-cardiff/

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    1960 then. And so Captain Morgan Rum became forever associated with the ground, with the advert remaining on the roof from 1960 to 2001 – a total of 41 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    👍

Captain Morgan was from Llanrumney

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Captain Morgan was from Llanrumney
    Ball Road boy.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ball Road boy.

Didn't they finally change the logo to Brace's bread, or am I imagining that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Is that Ron Springett?

Is that Ron Springett?
    I think the story behind this picture has been previously discussed on this MB in some detail.
    Apparently, it was Gordon Banks for England.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    In the article linked above it says that the Captain Morgan advert was finally painted over in 2001, firstly by Hyper Value and then Braces Bread.

It was ironic that although the original sign was painted over, the wording could still be seen through this, so Captain Morgan Rum enjoyed many more years of free advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It was ironic that although the original sign was painted over, the wording could still be seen through this, so Captain Morgan Rum enjoyed many more years of free advertising!
    Advertising intrigues me, it obviously works because it’s a massive industry but I wonder how many bottles or shots of Captain Morgan’s rum were sold on the strength of that advert? “I’m going to buy a bottle of that because it’s on the Bob Bank roof”, was this a phrase heard regularly in the off licences of South Wales?

Advertising intrigues me, it obviously works because it’s a massive industry but I wonder how many bottles or shots of Captain Morgan’s rum were sold on the strength of that advert? “I’m going to buy a bottle of that because it’s on the Bob Bank roof”, was this a phrase heard regularly in the off licences of South Wales?
    My old man was a steward at Ninian Park and he used to drink it, so it must have worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My old man was a steward at Ninian Park and he used to drink it, so it must have worked!
    In later years always found in Hyper Value with a loaf of Braces in the basket

I think it's more subliminal than that. While perusing bottles of rum you might choose Captain Morgan's because you recognise the name without realising it or consciously thinking "I saw it on the Bob Bank roof"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I think it's more subliminal than that. While perusing bottles of rum you might choose Captain Morgan's because you recognise the name without realising it or consciously thinking "I saw it on the Bob Bank roof"
    As I said, it obviously works. Wonder if sales have gone down since what was in fact a bloodless rebrand of the famous roof. Not one march, no pro Morgan chants etc. City fans quite weak over that debacle!!!!!!!!!!!

He was a Llanrumney Hall boy.
    Knowing his connection with Cardiff if I do buy a Rum it would have to be a Captain Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    He was a Llanrumney Hall boy.
    Knowing his connection with Cardiff if I do buy a Rum it would have to be a Captain Morgan.
    It's a product that was launched in 1944 by a Canadian company and now owned by Diageo, one of the largest drinks conglomerates in the world. It doesn't really have any connection with the eponymous swashbuckler from the 17th century. You have been seduced by a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    No, I don't you are - there was a Brace's Bread advert on one of the rooves at Ninian Park and I'm pretty sure it was the Bob Bank. The old Captain Morgan Rum advert was one of the things I was fascinated by when I first started going to games - it was there for donkeys years.