+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: Alcohol Age Indicator

  1. #1

    Alcohol Age Indicator

    Does what you chose as your go to ‘first regular pint’ indicate what age bracket you’re in. I’m 69 and it was Brains Dark when I first started pubbing it in the early 1970s. Everyone seemed to drink it before progressing to Brains Light a few years later. Been a bitter man since…..very bitter sometimes, very often when the final whistle blows!!!

  2. #2

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Brains dark/Kingpin
    Newcastle Brown
    SA
    Cider since being diagnosed coeliac

  3. #3

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Brains Bitter / SA / HB

    ploughed a lone furrow on the bitter for years while all my mates were drinking shite lagers.

  4. #4

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Brains Bitter / SA / HB

    ploughed a lone furrow on the bitter for years while all my mates were drinking shite lagers.
    Would that make you in your late 40s or 50s if lager was popular at the time?

  5. #5

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Brains dark/Kingpin
    Newcastle Brown
    SA
    Cider since being diagnosed coeliac
    I know you’re in your mid 30s

  6. #6

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Would that make you in your late 40s or 50s if lager was popular at the time?
    I'm 46 and lager has generally been my pint, not shit like Carling but better brews.

  7. #7

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm 46 and lager has generally been my pint, not shit like Carling but better brews.
    That’s about what I imagined, a generation or so below me started on lager. I doubt there's many, if any on here to give us the 20 odd year old’s choice. Could be an alcopop type thing maybe.

  8. #8

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    My old man took me for my first pint. It was a Brains pub. I asked for lager. He gave me a dirty look and got me a pint of Dark. Loved it!
    and drank that for yrs.
    now I’ve reached 60, I don’t drink anywhere near as much when I was younger.
    I now drink anything that takes my fancy on the day, from Guinness to Cider to malt whiskey to Jack D and coke, to lager to bitter.

  9. #9

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Would that make you in your late 40s or 50s if lager was popular at the time?
    44

  10. #10

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That’s about what I imagined, a generation or so below me started on lager. I doubt there's many, if any on here to give us the 20 odd year old’s choice. Could be an alcopop type thing maybe.
    They drink Cocktails now and put it on Instagram. If my old man had seen me drinking a Cocktail (Being on holiday would not be an excuse) He'd have never spoken to me again. I remember him getting shitty with me because i asked for a dash of lemonade in a pint of Bitter or Lager, i couldn't see his face, just his anger reverberating through his Sporting Life Paper.

  11. #11

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Had my first pint of Brains dark when I was 15 in the Mitre in Llandaff. My beer of choice while I lived in Cardiff. I drink more wine now truth be told and the occasional 1/2 gallon of Guinness.

  12. #12

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    You Cardiffians don't know how lucky you were. Albright was about as good as it got up the Gwent valleys. Absolute shite.

  13. #13

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Born 1954.
    My first pint was Courage AK, circa 1969, during school lunchtime
    I was soon introduced to Taunton Natural Dry.

    Went through a lager stage at uni in Stafford, 'cos the local brew was shite; though often had Newcastle brown at gigs 'cos they never had enough glasses
    Went back to bitter after uni, now I'm a bit of a "real ale snob", though still like cider (as dry as possible) on warm days.

    Lager only really became popular during/after the "package holiday" era, when people wanted the same stuff they drank abroad, though it tended to be weaker in the UK.

  14. #14
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    16,495

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    I had the odd pint of bitter as a 16/17 year old in pubs in north Cheshire and south Manchester - but didn't have a regular brew until I moved to Bristol to go to college when I was 18.

    Then it was 6X or Courage Best/Directors.

    Until the great Courage brewery strike of 1980 when it was Felinfoel Double Dragon brought over the bridge to keep the Courage pubs open. It was only later that I realised I was helping to break a strike with every pint. My shame lasted years!

    Always bitter for me. Something not right about lager drinking - unless it is just to cool down with fizzy piss on a hot day, and even then best to do it with the glass hidden in a paper bag.

    I have just turned 65. Still drink bitter on some nights out - but more wine or whiskey these days.

  15. #15

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    First Pub was The Birchgrove in 1962 as it was nearest to me, later used the Masons in Whitchurch as beer was more palatable..

  16. #16

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Skull Attack, 15 pints.

  17. #17

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Skull Attack, 15 pints.
    At what age?


    When I was working, a guy came down here from London for a course.
    He was warned about SA, thought he'd try it.
    Very nice, he said after a few pints, but what's the fuss about?
    Then he went out side and the air hit him, luckily the wall stopped him hitting the pavement.

  18. #18

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I had the odd pint of bitter as a 16/17 year old in pubs in north Cheshire and south Manchester - but didn't have a regular brew until I moved to Bristol to go to college when I was 18.

    Then it was 6X or Courage Best/Directors.

    Until the great Courage brewery strike of 1980 when it was Felinfoel Double Dragon brought over the bridge to keep the Courage pubs open. It was only later that I realised I was helping to break a strike with every pint. My shame lasted years!

    Always bitter for me. Something not right about lager drinking - unless it is just to cool down with fizzy piss on a hot day, and even then best to do it with the glass hidden in a paper bag.

    I have just turned 65. Still drink bitter on some nights out - but more wine or whiskey these days.
    Good man!
    Lager is served cold to numb your taste buds so you can't tell how shit it tastes.

  19. #19

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    You Cardiffians don't know how lucky you were. Albright was about as good as it got up the Gwent valleys. Absolute shite.
    Ah, Allbright, the driving man’s beer.

  20. #20

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Mead .

  21. #21

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Never really been a Brains lover.
    First pint in a pub was Carling, but used to mostly drink Hancocks HB. My uni years were mainly Ruddles County, Abbot Ale and Old Peculiar. Still prefer Ale but will also dabble in decent Belgian lagers especially in the summer.

  22. #22

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    They drink Cocktails now and put it on Instagram. If my old man had seen me drinking a Cocktail (Being on holiday would not be an excuse) He'd have never spoken to me again. I remember him getting shitty with me because i asked for a dash of lemonade in a pint of Bitter or Lager, i couldn't see his face, just his anger reverberating through his Sporting Life Paper.
    I don't know anyone my age (28) or below who drinks cocktails regularly, if at all. Have you possibly seen a few people do this and decide an entire demographic must do the same?




    Lager and IPA are the main choices of the 20somethings. Though Guinness has had a massive renaissance in the last few years.

  23. #23

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I don't know anyone my age (28) or below who drinks cocktails regularly, if at all. Have you possibly seen a few people do this and decide an entire demographic must do the same?




    Lager and IPA are the main choices of the 20somethings. Though Guinness has had a massive renaissance in the last few years.
    I've actually not seen anyone drink a Cocktail, ever. I was lust trying to get involved in the thread really.

  24. #24

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've actually not seen anyone drink a Cocktail, ever. I was lust trying to get involved in the thread really.
    Cock & bull tale then

  25. #25

    Re: Alcohol Age Indicator

    Rough cider straight out of the barrel. We used to help the landlord lift it onto a wooden stand, then he’d knock the tap in. He’d let us have the first pint for free, which was nicknamed Sandy Bottoms, as it was basically all sediment. Lager wasn’t a thing in local pubs, only cider or bitter.

    My old man drank Mackeson out of a can all of his life!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •