+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Commentators at the Euros

First Team

Worst Commentators at the Euros

Ok so I am forced to watch it on Fox so some of these aren't UK mainstays.

I'm sure some of you have come across the folks who are really annoying me:

Derek Rae (yes, Derek we know you speak German, you constantly overzealously pronounce German names)
    Rob Green (always out of breath when speaking)
    Mark Clattenberg (there is something wrong with his accent - "attacka" WTF)
    Warren Barton (why have a guy on who can't conjugate verbs?)

Rant over.

Anyone any good in the UK?

Re: Worst Commentators at the Euros

Andros Townsend has been pretty good on ITV, doesn't seem to feel the need to fill every possible gap with total verbiage.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Ok so I am forced to watch it on Fox so some of these aren't UK mainstays.

I'm sure some of you have come across the folks who are really annoying me:

Derek Rae (yes, Derek we know you speak German, you constantly overzealously pronounce German names)
    Rob Green (always out of breath when speaking)
    Mark Clattenberg (there is something wrong with his accent - "attacka" WTF)
    Warren Barton (why have a guy on who can't conjugate verbs?)

Rant over.

Anyone any good in the UK
    ?
    Not really. There's an annoying trend of having shrieking women commentating on the men's game these days.

I'll trade you those three for Eni Aluko and Karen Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Aluko is beyond bad.

Not sure how she keeps getting these jobs

oh god you've set them off again

Bloody hate that tart from Arsenal

I'm always delighted when Ian Darke takes the mic.

Who is that annoying woman? Please, no more screeching.

And who is that guy who sounds like Sean Connery? Interesting for a while but ultimately tedious.

That's my view from the USA.

Whenever I hear someone I think is a crap commentator I think back to Alan Green and I realise they're not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Whenever I hear someone I think is a crap commentator I think back to Alan Green and I realise they're not so bad.

Good point.

So true about Alan Green. I tend to find that all modern day commentators, including the woman ones, tend to to merge into one when I'm watching a game these days, there's no one I can think of who makes me think "great it's ................ commentating, this'll be good.".

As far as the summarisers are concerned, there have been a couple of occasions in this tournament where I've been watching a game and I've thought "who's that summariser, he's good" and, to echo what was said above by someone, on both occasions it turned out to be Andros Townsend.

I find all the TV commentators pretty useless nowadays with most of them far too busy trying to squeeze in some pre-prepared research or "clever" comment while adding nothing to what is on the screen. Fortunately it is not too difficult to just ignore them although the fake excitement "shriekers" really get on my nerves, the worst offenders being Derek Rae, Jonathan Pearce and Vicki Sparks.
    The co-commentators are not so bad generally apart from Jermaine Jenas and Danny Murphy.
    The studio pundits don't bother me at all as I make sure I miss all their contributions of (mostly) ridiculous dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Not really. There's an annoying trend of having shrieking women commentating on the men's game these days.
    You male chauvinist Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    You male chauvinist Bob!
    Guilty as chared!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I find all the TV commentators pretty useless nowadays with most of them far too busy trying to squeeze in some pre-prepared research or "clever" comment while adding nothing to what is on the screen. Fortunately it is not too difficult to just ignore them although the fake excitement "shriekers" really get on my nerves, the worst offenders being Derek Rae, Jonathan Pearce and Vicki Sparks.
    The co-commentators are not so bad generally apart from Jermaine Jenas and Danny Murphy.
    The studio pundits don't bother me at all as I make sure I miss all their contributions of (mostly) ridiculous dribble.
    I think Thomas Frank has been a good addition.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I think Thomas Frank has been a good addition.
    He's very good, I hate that screaming woman who does the commentary I end up hoping both teams don't score.

International

Rubbish them two, Laura Woods presenting if we HAVE to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Vicky Sparks has got a voice like an air raid siren.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So true about Alan Green. I tend to find that all modern day commentators, including the woman ones, tend to to merge into one when I'm watching a game these days, there's no one I can think of who makes me think "great it's ................ commentating, this'll be good.".

As far as the summarisers are concerned, there have been a couple of occasions in this tournament where I've been watching a game and I've thought "who's that summariser, he's good" and, to echo what was said above by someone, on both occasions it turned out to be Andros Townsend.
    I agree Bob. I find it very difficult to put a name to a voice. I do like John Champion especially in tandem with Ally McCoist

Carney isn't bad. But Aluko is stealing a living.

I think there should be 3 criteria for football commentators and co-commentators.

1 Easy on the ear. Some voices are tonally awful. Most of the women screech. My wife has a lovely voice but when she shouts it's like Jekyll turning to Hyde.
    2 Been there done that. Co-commentators have a lot more credibility if they can relate to personal experience. This should allow real insight (though that's not always the case.) It is really hard for women to give true insight on the mens game. It's like comparing Welsh League with La Liga.
    3 Work as a team - I think the lead commentator and co-commentator should work as a team. I like banter and interplay and a bit of humour - it makes for better entertainment. John Champion and Ally McCoist is my best example.

And before people say this is anti-women, I think women are some of the best sports/football presenters. Kelly Coates, Laura Woods and Gabby Logan spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I agree Bob. I find it very difficult to put a name to a voice. I do like John Champion especially in tandem with Ally McCoist
    Ally McCoist stands out for me, but like Bob says, I rarely pay attention to it.

Is it Peter Drury who has to shout a player's name when they shoot? He and a few others always want to be part of an Aguerroooo moment, even if Slovenia have just equalised twenty minutes into the first half. I don't think there are any good ones. A few of them sound like they're trying to show off to their school bullies.

Emma Hayes is one that really annoys me with her accent but I haven’t heard her at this tournament. What pisses me off with nearly all of them,and the BBC is the worst, England is always mentioned what ever teams are playing. Perhaps the BBC should be re named the EBC !

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    What pisses me off with nearly all of them, and the BBC is the worst, England is always mentioned what ever teams are playing. Perhaps the BBC should be re named the EBC !
    This complaint always makes me laugh.

I wonder if the TV companies in places like Germany, Spain, Italy, etc, always mention their own teams when other teams are playing? I think we can guess the answer...

As for the worst commentator at the Euros, it's Clive Tyldesley. Always Clive Tyldesley. Cannot stand him.