+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fontaines D.C

Fontaines D.C

We like Fontaines D.C. at Loramski Towers. Decent band and seem like good blokes. This is a couple of years old but I hadn't seen it before. They're always intense on stage so I wouldn't have expected them to play the Dave/Alex card but it works well here. Luke Littler and Lamine Yamal eat your heart out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM-FpzLASA4

Re: Fontaines D.C

Great band.

They've got a new album out and a newish look, and they will be playing at the Utilita Areana in November. I saw them in the Students Union a few years back, but those days seem to be over as they start to play the bigger stages, and they will probably end up doing stadium gigs too if their recent festival appearances are anything to go by.

I first saw Fontaines DC in November 2018 at Bristol's SWX supporting Shame (who are superb), and then a few weeks later at Cardiff's tiny Moon Club. Got to meet Grian after the SWX gig and again before the Moon show, and he's a genuinely nice lad.

Subsequently saw the band play at Bristol's Thekla in 2019, and Cardiff Uni and the Bath Forum (lovely venue) in 2021. Thing is, I'm not really a fan as such, but two of my closest friends love them, so I've ended up seeing them five times. Although they are always reasonably entertaining live, I didn't think much of them initially and didn't rate their first album at all, but then I really enjoyed the second. Their third album was utterly abysmal, dreadful stuff, but the new one is excellent. I'm surprised at how good it is.

Supporting Oasis apparently

Excellent band. I've seen them live a few times now and enjoyed every time.

I've been a fan since their first album and have enjoyed their newer material where they've shifted away from post-punk.

Saw them at The Victoria Dalston with about 10 others, including Steve Lemacq. They promised they would play The Moon Club in Cardiff for me, and honoured that, despite ‘taking off’ in the meantime. Grian is a great frontman, and commands the stage, he reminds me a bit of Mark E Smith in that respect.

Seen them live a couple of times, glad it was at smaller venues. From now on they seem destined for huge arenas, which I can't stand. That said, I don't think they are a particularly great live band and there is zero interaction with the crowd.

As for their records, I enjoyed the first album and really liked Skinty Fa. I thought the 3rd album took a dip but wasn't that bad. I think the new album is exceptional. They seem to be decent people and one of the band wore a St Pauli T-Shirt on a recent video.

What's not to like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Seen them live a couple of times, glad it was at smaller venues. From now on they seem destined for huge arenas, which I can't stand. That said, I don't think they are a particularly great live band and there is zero interaction with the crowd.

As for their records, I enjoyed the first album and really liked Skinty Fa. I thought the 3rd album took a dip but wasn't that bad. I think the new album is exceptional. They seem to be decent people and one of the band wore a St Pauli T-Shirt on a recent video.

What's not to like
    They signed a 3 /4 album deal (inc a solo album from Grian), and hastily released them, and for me they were a bit meh.

The new stuff I’ve heard tho has sounded OK

They are in session on Radio 2 after 8pm this evening

They're a poor man's Viola Beach imho

Slightly off topic but the DC stands for Dublin City. Probably common knowledge but I only noticed it a few weeks ago and, by chance, I was in Dublin the following weekend. Also by chance, I was in a large bar with a stage on the Sunday evening and around 9.00 the tv's were getting turned down, the lights dimmed and people were moving over. I managed to come up with a couple of possible scenarios whereby one or more of Fontaines would be playing a low-key gig there but then some loser came out and sang some folk songs to bring me back down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Slightly off topic but the DC stands for Dublin City. Probably common knowledge but I only noticed it a few weeks ago and, by chance, I was in Dublin the following weekend. Also by chance, I was in a large bar with a stage on the Sunday evening and around 9.00 the tv's were getting turned down, the lights dimmed and people were moving over. I managed to come up with a couple of possible scenarios whereby one or more of Fontaines would be playing a low-key gig there but then some loser came out and sang some folk songs to bring me back down to earth.
    Oh no it wasn't Bob Dylan was it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Oh no it wasn't Bob Dylan was it ?
    I never found out, didn't look much like him. He did requests for songs at one point, I said Duality but he said he'd never heard of it.

I thought they were great when they came out, but they've gone off the boil for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought they were great when they came out, but they've gone off the boil for me.
    Definitely this…..I think the 4 album ‘deal’ was responsible ££££.

P.S. you up for the Leeds game in Legends ?

Good band, Grian's solo stuff and collaboration work is great. Always preferred Odd Morris and The Murder Capital from the Dublin scene, but Fontaines DC are not far behind.

totally uninteresting fact, the murder capital were the last band I saw before lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    Good band, Grian's solo stuff and collaboration work is great. Always preferred Odd Morris and The Murder Capital from the Dublin scene, but Fontaines DC are not far behind.

totally uninteresting fact, the murder capital were the last band I saw before lockdown
    I’m with you with Murder Capital…saw them last in Bristol SXS….think it’s the same gig you saw….excellent.

What's not to like
    Skinty Fia's the 3rd album isn't it? Dogrel, Hero's Death, Skinty Fia and now Romance?

Wasn't too fussed with much of Romance but now its starting to grow on me, I really liked Favourite when that came out but I'm not sure the rest of the album lives it up to it and a couple of songs sound out of place. Skinty Fia & parts of Dogrel were fantastic imo, Hero's Death was very good as well

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Definitely this…..I think the 4 album ‘deal’ was responsible ££££.
    The latest album is on a new label (XL Recordings), and they've also got a new producer.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post

Have you heard of Just Mustard who are former label mates of FDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The latest album is on a new label (XL Recordings), and they've also got a new producer.
    Correct, and it’s much better, but still not quite the standard of their 1st few songs….imo.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Skinty Fia's the 3rd album isn't it? Dogrel, Hero's Death, Skinty Fia and now Romance?

Wasn't too fussed with much of Romance but now its starting to grow on me, I really liked Favourite when that came out but I'm not sure the rest of the album lives it up to it and a couple of songs sound out of place. Skinty Fia & parts of Dogrel were fantastic imo, Hero's Death was very good as well
    Yes sorry, mixed the order up.

Skinty was my favourite but Romance has really impressed me. Just when I thought they might be running low on ideas ...

Yes sorry, mixed the order up.

Skinty was my favourite but Romance has really impressed me. Just when I thought they might be running low on ideas ...
    Every album is purposely different, and I don't think they will run out of ideas as they continue to mine the past

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    They are in session on Radio 2 after 8pm this evening
    Tonight Mathew we are going to be Depeche Mode ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE1dzq1yi8Y