My opinion for what it's worth is that we have been in the top twenty of the FIFA rankings continuously for seven years, so, in a tournament which has thirty two sides in it, we should be there on merit based on what's happened since 2015. It's not some fluke that we've had seven years at a level which we could not have dreamed of a decade ago. Yes, I accept that were now at a stage where that ranking is very likely to drop, but I still say that it's not just Bale and Ramsey who are under performing, the whole squad is.

In my blog piece for the Iran game, I said Ampadu had a poor game and I stick by that and, yet, if you asked me to pick a Welsh player of the tournament up to now, I'd probably go for him - that really shows how low the level of performance has been from the squad. I have no expectations of qualification or even a win tomorrow, but would like to think that we would at least be able to show the world that we're better than what we've produced so far.

So, I suppose my answer to the question I set in the title is that it's a mixture of both, but with far more of the under performing aspect than the us being crap one.