+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Opposition Leaders Debate

Re: Opposition Leaders Debate

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:08
    On a broad front,IMO,last nights T.V.opposition debate ,presentation was a disaster for all U.K.voters and inhabitans,I felt that only Leanne Wood came out with any credit,mainly due to ,on the whole, capturing a lower profile on the proceedings ,if as a result of the election it turns out as many predict as a hung Parliament ,when all these ambitious individuals have had their hands in the national budget bucket there will be nothing left for the U.K population,four of the parties on stage last night were ,in reality,championing more taxes,hoping to live off ,mainly individual buisnneses and forward moving companies and brave individuals who commit themselves to large financial long term packages,these ,mainly private successful and achieving buisnneses are the life blood of the four who appeared last night and in many ways are financing the running of a Left administration,
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:05
    Shakes head in bemused fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 10:58
    Is it the lack of a full stop that bemuses you, TOBW?
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 10:50
    Milliband won't turn down 45/50 seats. What he says now is irrelevant, he will do anything to get into government.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacys wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 10:18
    Edit: wrong quote! Was supposed to be to the local boy
    Can't blame him for that.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:15
    On a broad front,IMO,last nights T.V.opposition debate ,presentation was a disaster for all U.K.voters and inhabitans,I felt that only Leanne Wood came out with any credit,mainly due to ,on the whole, capturing a lower profile on the proceedings ,if as a result of the election it turns out as many predict as a hung Parliament ,when all these ambitious individuals have had their hands in the national budget bucket there will be nothing left for the U.K population,four of the parties on stage last night were ,in reality,championing more taxes,hoping to live off ,mainly individual buisnneses and forward moving companies and brave individuals who commit themselves to large financial long term packages,these ,mainly private successful and achieving buisnneses are the life blood of the four who appeared last night and in many ways are financing the running of a Left administration,
    Milliband won't turn down 45/50 seats. What he says now is irrelevant, he will do anything to get into government.
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 10:50
    of course, I am not disagreeing with that at all. What I am saying is that Milliband is suggesting that if the Scots vote SNP they end up with Dave Cameron.
    the Truth is there is so much smoke and mirrors at this stage that we have no idea what is going to happen on May 7th and the few days after that what sort of deals are going to be cut. The most likely scenario is that we have a hung parliament with the current coalition remaining in power albeit with a minority or after that we have a conservative majority government. I just cannot see the SNP and Labour being bedfellows

So what do people think about Cameron's absence - was it harmful to his election prospects or not? The post-debate spin from the Tories was that DC was better off out of it and the others were a squabbling, rabble. But, personally, I think there is no escaping the fact that it made him look very weak. The other parties all landed free hits and Miliband got to look like a credible neo-lib alternative. Miliband's "debate me" gambit was also a good one. The only plus for Cameron, as far as I can see, is that the Progressive Alliance got yet more of a platform which impacts more on the Labour vote than it does the Tories.

Anyone got a more positive spin for Dave?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by babyloncardiff wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:50
    So what do people think about Cameron's absence - was it harmful to his election prospects or not? The post-debate spin from the Tories was that DC was better off out of it and the others were a squabbling, rabble. But, personally, I think there is no escaping the fact that it made him look very weak. The other parties all landed free hits and Miliband got to look like a credible neo-lib alternative. Miliband's "debate me" gambit was also a good one. The only plus for Cameron, as far as I can see, is that the Progressive Alliance got yet more of a platform which impacts more on the Labour vote than it does the Tories.
    I thought Cameron's absence allowed the other parties to attack Labour rather than both the main parties. What was interesting for me was the graphic that showed the poll of polls over time. Where the conservatives enjoyed a brief lead post May 2010 Labour increased to a 10 point or so lead by mid term, yet since then and the rise of UKIP/Greens/SNP the conservative vote has held steady at mid to low 30s whereas Labour and Libdems have dropped from 45/20 respectively to low/mid 30s and around 10 respectively. The rise of UKIP/SNP/Greens has hardly affected the Tory vote despite what some commentators were suggesting mid term

It's a good question but how many people will have changed their voting intention as a result of last night's broadcast? Very, very few I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:39
    of course, I am not disagreeing with that at all. What I am saying is that Milliband is suggesting that if the Scots vote SNP they end up with Dave Cameron.
    Which isn't true of course. The Scots can vote SNP and it ends up in a vote for milliband as PM anyway as labour/SNP will cut a deal.
    The bottom line is if it takes a coalition with the SNP for Ed to become PM then there is no chance at all of him not taking that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 12:24
    Which isn't true of course. The Scots can vote SNP and it ends up in a vote for milliband as PM anyway as labour/SNP will cut a deal.
    Milliband is just trying to reduce the effect of their bargaining power by trying to reduce their seat number.
    Indeed - and as a result both Labour and SNP will be vilified to some degree. We are not yet used to the concept of coalition. (Unlike Denmark where the scenario is played out wonderfully in the TV drama series 'Borgen'. And as for Sidse Babett Knudsen, the major protagonist in that series .... )

Feedback

Milliband is just trying to reduce the effect of their bargaining power by trying to reduce their seat number.
    The SNP and Labour have been at loggerheads for years in Scotland

In your opinion , Feedback, is there a difference between the Tories and the Conservatives?

After the result last time out, it was always the case that the Lib Dems would seek to be part of a coalition with either the Conservatives or Labour. The German Liberals, the third party over there, managed to stay in power by for many years by changing their coalition partner. The Lib Dems could do likewise here in the UK (if the SNP/UKIP complications permit).

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 13:19
    Can't blame him for that.
    Labour and Scottish Labour might come to blows if Ed cuts a deal with the people who took away their Scottish constituencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 11:59
    Anyone got a more positive spin for Dave?
    Absolutely no one on here judging by this thread.

The prospect doesn't worry me one iota!

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 13:24
    In your opinion , Feedback, is there a difference between the Tories and the Conservatives?
    Conservatives are more centre right whereas the Tories are right wing