+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: First time you went to Ninian Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: First time you went to Ninian Park

I would have been about 8 if I remember correctly. My memory is a bit shit but in my head I remember it being Chelsea - think it would have around 1980/81??

My recollections of the day were:

1. Spending most of the game on my dads shoulders.

2. The surge when we scored.

3. Being amazed at all the people and how angry everyone seemed to be.

4. Pretty sure we lost.

The other thing I remember was people fighting as we left and my old man telling me not to tell mam about it or I wouldn't be allowed to go again. Naturally I kept my mouth shut - not sure if that turned out to be a smart move looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    I would have been about 8 if I remember correctly. My memory is a bit shit but in my head I remember it being Chelsea - think it would have around 1980/81??

My recollections of the day were:

1. Spending most of the game on my dads shoulders.

2. The surge when we scored.

3. Being amazed at all the people and how angry everyone seemed to be.

4. Pretty sure we lost.

The other thing I remember was people fighting as we left and my old man telling me not to tell man about it or I wouldn't be allowed to go again. Naturally I kept my mouth shut - not sure if that turned out to be a smart move looking back.
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.

Secondly, I can't believe you're younger than me - I thought you were an old fecker!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Not long after my dad started taking me, he decided that NP was no place for a young kid what with all the flying seats/coins/fists etc and stopped taking me until I was old enough to go with my mates.

Secondly, I can't believe you're younger than me - I thought you were an old fecker!
    so did i

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    so did i
    Cheeky sods.

Thankfully my boyish good looks more than compensate for my grumpy old man demeanour.

Growing up in the valleys prepared me quite well for 80's football violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Growing up in the valleys prepared me quite well for 80's football violence.

I remember a Chelsea game I was taken to for a birthday treat. The game fell on my 10th birthday. Whilst walking through a bit of a kerfuffle with youths dressed in crombies and 'Docs' waving and swinging limbs at each other, my dad with his mates and a troop of kids just calmly told us to get into pairs and strolled through it.

His next words of fatherly advice were, "Do NOT tell your mother!"

In fairness, the fight was pants in comparison to watching fights outside the Mack in Aberfan on most weekends during the late 70s to mid 80s.

You left out the Kung-Fu stars & oranges full of razor blades .... fun days