+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

International

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Still, "what was it won't be" ?????
    OK, iIll fill in all the words for you, "If they only restore what was previously open then it will not be a pain in the backside for traffic at the end of Churchill Way because that was never open in the first place, it was always covered."

I'll put it in words of 1 syllable if you need me to.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Typical keyboarder, 'have you ant proof'. The proof is in your own eyes, go and look at the street. But to understand you have to know what it used to be like. Or you could ask the traders there, or perhaps better still the people who used to trade there an don't any more.
    As close as makes no difference the bus station is in the same place. And buses coming from the north, which includes from the east and using Eastern Avenue, used to go through Kingsway, down Castle St along St Mary St, (but could go down Westgate St). They clearly cannot do that now so have to go down western Avenue Cardiff Road which is already almost permanently gridlocked, and down Cathedral Road. That's around the houses enough for me. for buses coming from the east of the city it is even worse.
    I'm struggling to understand you, sorry snaggs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Greyfriars Road is also small, with one lane in each direction. It’s simply not big enough to be a hub for more than a handful of buses. They have nowhere to stop and wait. Therefore, the timetable has become a work of fiction. Also, drivers have nowhere to take their breaks, so when they are due one or they are knocking off from a shift they have to park the bus in the limited space on Greyfriars and take a ten minute trek across the city centre to their depot.

I’ve been using the buses from North Cardiff to get in and out of town on a very regular basis for all of my adult life. The services have never been so erratic and the system has never been less customer-friendly than it is at present. That’s not anecdotal. That’s my own experience.
    Sounds shit. Hopefully it'll improve when the new station is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He needs to type his every post, proof read it two or three times and then press reply. Would get a point over a lot more coherently then. It seems as though he’s rushing through the words thinking they make sense but, sadly, failing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Can anyone understand this ?

"what was it won't be" ???????????
    The poster said, "On the down side the southern end of Churchill Way is a main route for traffic, so yet an other pain in the backside for drivers trying to get across the city."
    If they only uncover the part they covered it won't be a pain in the backside because the bit the poster was referring to was never uncovered in the first place.

Nope !

International

Which part of that are you struggling to understand?

International

It's because he's so well travelled, overlapping of language and culture-LOM can speak 22 languages.
    What is that comment supposed to mean?
    You know nothing about how well travelled I may or may not be, nor what languages I might speak.

Which part of that are you struggling to understand?
    Most of it. In fairness though, you do need some proof in order to state as fact that Trade has dropped of in an area. You can't just say 'say what you see', it's hardly credible.

What is that comment supposed to mean?
    You know nothing about how well travelled I may or may not be, nor what languages I might speak.
    It was a joke, apologies if it has offended you.

Most of it. In fairness though, you do need some proof in order to state as fact that Trade has dropped of in an area. You can't just say 'say what you see', it's hardly credible.
    In fairness to him, I visit HMV on Queen Street an average of once a week. I can guarantee you their trade has dropped off dramatically this year. I have no proof except for the fact that I'm often one of only two or three customers in there, whereas as it used to be reasonably busy most of the time.

In fairness to him, I visit HMV on Queen Street an average of once a week. I can guarantee you their trade has dropped off dramatically this year. I have no proof except for the fact that I'm often one of only two or three customers in there, whereas as it used to be reasonably busy most of the time.
    I think that he's saying that trade drifted off on St Mary St when it was pedestrianised, however long ago that was, not since covid. That's what i'm getting, i could be wrong.

Sounds shit. Hopefully it'll improve when the new station is built.
    I don't know how many weeks or months it is since the council closed Castle Street, but incredibly the bus shelters on Greyfriars Road still have little or no information on them as regards timetables or even which busses visit which stops. Having said that, such information would be largely pointless anyway as the busses aren't running to proper timetables and they often stop at different shelters as there is so little room for them to operate.

Every single day there are people wandering up and down the street asking for help as regards which busses stop where. It's pathetic.

I don't know how many weeks or months it is since the council closed Castle Street, but incredibly the bus shelters on Greyfriars Road still have little or no information on them as regards timetables or even which buses visit which stops. Having said that, such information would be largely pointless anyway as the buses aren't running to proper timetables and the often stop at different shelters as there is so little room for them to operate.

Every single day there are people wandering up and down the street asking for help as regards which buses stop where. It's pathetic.
    That's piss poor. People need to complain about it. get on to their councilor, Email the transport department of the local authority. I'd be ****ed if i'd put up with a shit service every day without some answers.

That's piss poor. People need to complain about it. get on to their councilor, Email the transport department of the local authority. I'd be ****ed if i'd put up with a shit service every day without some answers.
    Those of us who use the busses regularly know the score. My bus is fairly frequent and leaves from approximately the same place every day, so I'm usually alright. However, I do feel sorry for any infrequent visitors and particularly the elderly, who are usually the people wandering around desperately looking for their stop.

I've got no evidence other than what I see every day, but the numbers of people in the city centre have definitely diminished again during the last month or so and the numbers of people on the buses have dropped too. Obviously there are lots of factors involved but the piss-poor service can't help. Cardiff city centre is a pretty grim place to visit at the moment for those who have to be there. I can't imagine many doing it out of choice at present.

Those of us who use the busses regularly know the score. My bus is fairly frequent and leaves from approximately the same place every day, so I'm usually alright. However, I do feel sorry for any infrequent visitors and particularly the elderly, who are usually the people wandering around desperately looking for their stop.

I've got no evidence other than what I see every day, but the numbers of people in the city centre have definitely diminished again during the last month or so and the numbers of people on the buses have dropped too. Obviously there are lots of factors involved but the piss-poor service can't help. Cardiff city centre is a pretty grim place to visit at the moment for those who have to be there. I can't imagine many doing it out of choice at present.
    I was in the City Centre an hour or so ago, it was quiet, much quieter than usual. It's Covid, and the fact that anyone from the surrounding areas are not allowed to visit.

Heisenberg

It is St Mary St, not St Marys St.
    Ahh right. I thought it may have had something to you with you using the word "pedestrianising" instead of 'pedestrianisation'.

It wasn't a canal, it is a feeder for the Alexandra dock, built specifically from the Taff at blackweir to the dock to keep the water level up at low tides.

It was a feeder canal. As you know canals are man made waterways for boats to travel inland or to convey water from a to b......in this case from the river Taff to the docks

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    It was a feeder canal. As you know canals are man made waterways for boats to travel inland or to convey water from a to b......in this case from the river Taff to the docks
    It was never known as a canal. Only as the feeder. Besides the dock it also fed the castle moat. It was never designed for boats and is far to small for a canal boat. Besides which it doesn't go anywhere.

It was never known as a canal. Only as the feeder. Besides the dock it also fed the castle moat. It was never designed for boats and is far to small for a canal boat. Besides which it doesn't go anywhere.
    Until the Council decided they wanted to gentrify (or whatever) Churchill Way I’ve never heard of anyone referring to the Docks Feeder as a canal. It has always been the “feeder”

Can I suggest that you Google Cardiff feeder and see what comes up. I just did and Cardiff parks came up first.....They call it the Feeder Canal...Yes I know people call it 'the feeder' but it is a canal.

Canals don't have to have boats on them. It was built by Bute to move water from the Taff to the docks to manage the water levels in the basins. It used to move about 50million gallons a day.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Can I suggest that you Google Cardiff feeder and see what comes up. I just did and Cardiff parks came up first.....They call it the Feeder Canal...Yes I know people call it 'the feeder' but it is a canal.

Canals don't have to have boats on them. It was built by Bute to move water from the Taff to the docks to manage the water levels in the basins. It used to move about 50million gallons a day.
    Yeah OK. you're much cleverer than I. I was speaking from life experience, you are speaking from internet. you are clearly much better informed than I. It's a feeder canal, you're right. Feel better now?

Yeah OK. you're much cleverer than I. I was speaking from life experience, you are speaking from internet. you are clearly much better informed than I. It's a feeder canal, you're right. Feel better now?
    I too was speaking from life experience. My dad, a docks boy, used to swim in it with his mates in the 1920s. He always called it 'the canal'

jeez, the things people will argue about on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    jeez, the things people will argue about on the internet
    to be fair there's nothing xsnaggle won't argue with someone about on the internet

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    to be fair there's nothing xsnaggle won't argue with someone about on the internet
    Oh yes there is!