+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Can I suggest that you Google Cardiff feeder and see what comes up. I just did and Cardiff parks came up first.....They call it the Feeder Canal...Yes I know people call it 'the feeder' but it is a canal.

Canals don't have to have boats on them. It was built by Bute to move water from the Taff to the docks to manage the water levels in the basins. It used to move about 50million gallons a day.
    I don’t doubt your dictionary definition, you are undoubtedly correct. However, I maintain that what the Council is now calling a canal under Churchill Way has always been known to all ans sundry as the feeder including, up until this proposed scheme, the Council. When I started work for the Council, more years ago than i care to remember, what remained of the Glamorgan Canal within the boundaries of Cardiff was owned by the Council. Expenditure and income for it was accounted for it separately as a “Committee” like Housing, Highways, Education etc, were. It was always referred to as the “Canal” to differentiate it from the feeder. It may seem strange to account separately for a defunct canal that was mostly filled in but there was a significant land holding. In a later existence in the Council I worked in the Parks HQ in Heath Park where the watercourse that comes off the Taff at Blackweir was always called the feeder. There is no doubt that the word canal is more alluring than “Docks Feeder” so it is understandable why the Council would now want to call it something that it wasn’t called before.

International

I too was speaking from life experience. My dad, a docks boy, used to swim in it with his mates in the 1920s. He always called it 'the canal'
    But you had to google it to see if it is referred to as a canal. OK. you win!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Oh yes there is!
    very good

But you had to google it to see if it is referred to as a canal. OK. you win!
    Not so...I googled it to try to show you some third party evidence as you obviously misunderstood what the definition of a canal is

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I don’t doubt your dictionary definition, you are undoubtedly correct. However, I maintain that what the Council is now calling a canal under Churchill Way has always been known to all ans sundry as the feeder including, up until this proposed scheme, the Council. When I started work for the Council, more years ago than i care to remember, what remained of the Glamorgan Canal within the boundaries of Cardiff was owned by the Council. Expenditure and income for it was accounted for it separately as a “Committee” like Housing, Highways, Education etc, were. It was always referred to as the “Canal” to differentiate it from the feeder. It may seem strange to account separately for a defunct canal that was mostly filled in but there was a significant land holding. In a later existence in the Council I worked in the Parks HQ in Heath Park where the watercourse that comes off the Taff at Blackweir was always called the feeder. There is no doubt that the word canal is more alluring than “Docks Feeder” so it is understandable why the Council would now want to call it something that it wasn’t called before.
    Yes I know people call it the feeder. This only started because Xsnaggle said it wasn't a canal. The council can call it whatever it likes but on all the maps etc it's listed as the 'feeder canal'. So it's not a new term made up to make the Churchill Way proposal sound more attractive.
    Similarly many people call the 'Glamorganshire' canal the Glamorgan canal, but it is what it is.

Call it the docks feeder canal !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Call it the docks feeder canal !
    Well Ordinance Survey maps seem to label it "docks feeder canal", so that's good enough for me.

*He said unironically wading into an online argument he had openly mocked people for having a few posts ago.

Yes I know people call it the feeder. This only started because Xsnaggle said it wasn't a canal. The council can call it whatever it likes but on all the maps etc it's listed as the 'feeder canal'. So it's not a new term made up to make the Churchill Way proposal sound more attractive.
    Similarly many people call the 'Glamorganshire' canal the Glamorgan canal, but it is what it is.
    A quick dip into my collection of maps shows Bacon’s 1910 large scale map of Cardiff (G.W. Bacon & Co Ltd. was a reputable large scale map producer from the 1890s to the 1950s) and the 1922 Ordnance Survey clearly showing “Docks Feeder” so not all maps. Perhaps we will have to agree to differ

A quick dip into my collection of maps shows Bacon’s 1910 large scale map of Cardiff (G.W. Bacon & Co Ltd. was a reputable large scale map producer from the 1890s to the 1950s) and the 1922 Ordnance Survey clearly showing “Docks Feeder” so not all maps. Perhaps we will have to agree to differ
    I guess so. Out of interest, as you used to work for the parks Dept, I looked at their website and they correctly call it the Docks Feeder Canal. However their photo of a tree lined section is simply labelled 'the feeder'

I guess so. Out of interest, as you used to work for the parks Dept, I looked at their website and they correctly call it the Docks Feeder Canal. However their photo of a tree lined section is simply labelled 'the feeder'
    It was some time ago I worked there. As the feeder flows through Public Open Space at Blackweir, Bute Park and at the back of the Castle, whilst not belonging to the Council, it formed part of their consciousness as an attractive interesting historical element of the park land. All the staff referred to it as the feeder and the definitive historian of Cardiff Parks Andrew Alexander Pettigrew 1875 - 1936 referred to it as the feeder as well. An interesting family. His work “The Public Parks and Recreation Grounds of Cardiff” is an authoritative reference source- have a look at the enclosed link which gives details of the Pettigrew dynasty

http://www.cardiffparks.org.uk/pettigrew/index.shtml

I've always called it Chippy Canal

International

Who started all this feeder nonsense on here anyway?
    Some people will do anything for an argument°

Who started all this feeder nonsense on here anyway?
    Some people will do anything for an argument°
    No they won't

International

That's not an argument, that's a contradiction. you know it is.

That's not an argument, that's a contradiction. you know it is.
    I'm sorry is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm sorry is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
    I've no intention of getting involved in an argument with you about how long an argument should last. Sometimes on here they seem to last for ever, as if someone was feeding them.
    But as a general rule I believe an argument should only last until I win, and not a moment longer!

All this talk about food has made me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    All this talk about food has made me hungry

Go and have a cold panini in Castle Street

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Carrying a small generator, topped up with juice, along with a microwave always solves my problems when I dine in the road outside the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    and BLUETIT could film you because apparently he has nothing better to do

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    and BLUETIT could film you because apparently he has nothing better to do
    If it is regularly empty now perhaps it needs filming to convince the council that the project has run its course. I walked through town last Saturday at around 2/2.30 pm, it was so nippy that all outside eating/drinking places were nigh on empty. The weather’s not going to improve dramatically now, the Christmas market is ok where it has been for years, Working St area. Open town back up now, perhaps it was ok when the weather was more conducive to walking across town from outlying bus stops, it’s time now for people to be able to reach destinations inside a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If it is regularly empty now perhaps it needs filming to convince the council that the project has run its course. I walked through town last Saturday at around 2/2.30 pm, it was so nippy that all outside eating/drinking places were nigh on empty. The weather’s not going to improve dramatically now, the Christmas market is ok where it has been for years, Working St area. Open town back up now, perhaps it was ok when the weather was more conducive to walking across town from outlying bus stops, it’s time now for people to be able to reach destinations inside a vehicle.
    good idea, let's keep the road closed and move the Christmas market there following the tremendous success of the eating area.

The Council think it's working quite well, but that's only because the traffic levels are nowhere near their normal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    good idea, let's keep the road closed and move the Christmas market there following the tremendous success of the eating area.
    The Council aren't gong to open the road any time soon in my opinion, they want it closed for good, anyway. I'm all for it.

International

The council have already acknowledged that as the weather has changed the area is now redundant.
    But they have already hada meeting to try to find a reasonable excuse to keep the roads closed, including, as previously mentioned, one councilor stating they need the space for somewhere to put the Christmas market. All that will do is ensure that less people visit the market than they do now. But as the councils had effectively stopped people from coming to the city centre to shop anyway, that won't really matter.
    I read somewhere that the the effect of the councils actions all over the country was destroying town centre businesses and that now they are having to justify their stupidity to angry citizens, and apparently Cardiff centre is one of the worst affected in the country.
    It's time people let their opinions be known about that and about the deplorable state of public transport in the city and the surrounding areas.