Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
I think this is it. People are drawn subconsciously towards those who are similar to them. There's rarely one clear standout perfect person for a job, and if there's a few who could get it of different ethnicities etc, then the one closest to the panel's (if they are all the same) is more likely to get it. Then it continues for the next recruitment in a few years as the ethnicity of the team is still the same. Sometimes people have to be almost forced into diversifying.

I'm a white male who has lived in Asia and been turned out at the first stage of an interview process for this (and they are a lot more honest about telling you that straight, believe me) so I've seen the other side, and it's frustrating.
I can understand your frustration but other people who have been made aware of this might say, "Well if they're not fair with their recruitment policy why should we be."

Personally I believe that if any candidate is deemed to be better than the rest, regardless of race, colour or creed they should get the job. Any diversification has to be seen as fair, otherwise it's likely to foster resentment and yes racism further down the line.