Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
I've got no doubt that there are many instances of cultural appropriation and it has a damaging effect on the livelihoods and culture of minority groups.

I think part of the issue is with the internet these days people's culture is changing faster than ever.

I am vaguely aware of numbers of young people in the UK and USA with a genuine interests in Korean pop groups. Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.
If they grow up listening to k-pop, then some of them start to make their own music - if they do it in the style of a korean artist - or even with some Korean lyrics - is that cultural appropriation ? or is that what their culture now IS? should they instead make a different style of music they have no knowledge of or interest in?

I think if everyone was forced to "stay in their own lane" so to speak it would be even more damaging than the alternative.

As for Cheryl Cole - it does seem as though she's perhaps not the ideal choice for this podcast. I can definitely understand the frustration black artists must have when this sort of thing goes on.
On the other hand she is REALLY famous - she's not got the gig because she knows the most about R&B out of any potential presenter, but because she's a huge name, and more people will probably listen to it with her name on it. If that ends up getting people interested in R&B who wouldn't otherwise have listened then it might not be all bad.

As a middle aged white guy in the UK it is pretty hard to think of an example that is anything like the same though.
Nicely put.