+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Merson and his gambling addiction

Paul Merson and his gambling addiction

'Merson on his documentary: I just wanted to help one person'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12431849

"Insists he has a responsibility to help others with gambling addiction"

Shame his employers, and so many other companies, don't feel the same way!

Re: Paul Merson and his gambling addiction

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    'Merson on his documentary: I just wanted to help one person'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12431849

"Insists he has a responsibility to help others with gambling addiction"

Shame his employers, and so many other companies, don't feel the same way!
    Can’t believe he has eight kids! Imagine gambling away the deposit for a house during first lockdown, he’s still in rented accommodation now. Interesting stuff, it’s a crazy one gambling. It’s way too easy to get involved in I think…..

His "mate" Jeff Stelling and his employer Sky should have a look at their part in glorifying gambling in their ads.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    His "mate" Jeff Stelling and his employer Sky should have a look at their part in glorifying gambling in their ads.
    It’s totally wrong.
    Started over here massively now in States that have legalized sports books.

The betting ads are just wrong. I thank God that gambling has never interested me and never will but I do know that it’s tearing some families apart. It’s a terrible addiction without brakes, you drink too much you fall over, you take drugs you flake out eventually, gambling, you just look for more money to chase the losses. How there hasn’t been an outcry and a ban I’ll never know.........and the smug ‘celebs’ who are enticing mug punters need to have a good look at themselves, mercenary bastards!!

It's a real issue amongst young men, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It is, it’s so easy nowadays, it’s at their fingertips 24/7, they don’t need encouraging when they turn the telly on. I personally know a few who are struggling, it’s a disease.

Merson is a good bloke being open about his demons

I am sure he ended his career at Walsall?

We scored a last minute equaliser , Gareth Whalley ?

Merson was having a right laugh with our fans behind the goal

Best of luck to him and others affected

My one abiding memory of Merson is when he played down here for Villa. I'm sure Mad Frankie had arranged it with Villa when they signed Mark Delaney, that they would play a pre season friendly at Ninian Park. Or have I dreamed that up? Anyway Merson stood in the centre circle for the game barely moving but spraying inch perfect passes around the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The betting ads are just wrong. I thank God that gambling has never interested me and never will but I do know that it’s tearing some families apart. It’s a terrible addiction without brakes, you drink too much you fall over, you take drugs you flake out eventually, gambling, you just look for more money to chase the losses. How there hasn’t been an outcry and a ban I’ll never know.........and the smug ‘celebs’ who are enticing mug punters need to have a good look at themselves, mercenary bastards!!
    Those diagrams showing how Merson reacted to gambling images compared to things like food, family and holiday images were so revealing - the poor sods that are hit hardest by the gambling bug have no chance really and the programme had me thinking there but for the grace of God go I.

I’ve never been a gambler, but if I were, I’d stop using Ladbrookes who didn’t even respond when asked about the issues raised in the programme - that said, they’re all as bad as each other and I agree about the smug celebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    My one abiding memory of Merson is when he played down here for Villa. I'm sure Mad Frankie had arranged it with Villa when they signed Mark Delaney, that they would play a pre season friendly at Ninian Park. Or have I dreamed that up? Anyway Merson stood in the centre circle for the game barely moving but spraying inch perfect passes around the pitch.
    I thought it was someone's testimonial maybe? He was quality though

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It’s totally wrong.
    Agreed mate. Way too accessible

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It really is.

It's hard enough to earn a living, pay a mortgage, bills, run a car and raise a family these days as it is.
    Chuck a massive debt and blacklist in the mix...

Not sure if there is any evidence but would not surprise me one iota if there is a direct correlation between gambling and the high suicide rate in young men.

So easy nowadays, don't even have to leave your sofa. Also electronically it's so much harder to see the money as real cash. I once won £600 on the slots and then wasted £400 of it in the next half hour. I would have never done that if I had the cash in my hand

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    It really is.

It's hard enough to earn a living, pay a mortgage, bills, run a car and raise a family these days as it is.
    Chuck a massive debt and blacklist in the mix...

Not sure if there is any evidence but would not surprise me one iota if there is a direct correlation between gambling and the high suicide rate in young men.
    Gambling like any addiction is a form of self abuse and is clearly linked to mental ill health

Alcohol , gambling , drugs all go hand in hand

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Gambling like any addiction is a form of self abuse and is clearly linked to mental ill health

Alcohol , gambling , drugs all go hand in hand
    Oosh, can of worms there, not sure I agree that all people in active addiction have poor mental health.

As somebody who has over the past 10 years been at various points along the spectrum of retaining some control and being completely out of control, a lot is spoken about compulsive gambling that I agree with and a lot that I don't. I can stand the people who don't own it, it's the easy way out to latch onto the excuse that it's an illness and you can't do anything about it.
    Now, that isn't to say that for compulsive gamblers there isn't a 24/7 haze that nips at you during every lonely or boring moment but when it comes to it, you still have that choice. It also isn't to say that at those crucial moments, every single part of your being is telling you that you should just fill your boring Saturday with some excitement or chase that loss from earlier in the day.
    To me, it feels as though during that moment, part of my brain switches off. I make sense of data and numbers for people for a living and then I go home and quite often do something completely irrational with no logical basis.

Oosh, can of worms there, not sure I agree that all people in active addiction have poor mental health.
    I think it is quite likely, from my experience it will be the ones who don't want to talk about it and are looking for an escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think it is quite likely, from my experience it will be the ones who don't want to talk about it and are looking for an escape.
    It's very likely for sure, wouldn't say there is always a clear link though.

I didn't start drinking or gambling due to mental health issues. The drinking and the gambling definitely caused mental health problems themselves though.

Anyway, my last thread about Guinness 0% went way off track and we could discuss this for years haha

Sadly the game we follow is hugely connected to betting firms .

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    It’s totally wrong.
    It's creeping in, but nothing like it is in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sadly the game we follow is hugely connected to betting firms .
    I noticed the other day that our training kit is sponsored by Sport 888. Bookies should not be able to do business with sports teams that play in any organised league. And they shouldn't be allowed to have ambiguous names like "Sport 888". At least Bet365 state their purpose clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I noticed the other day that our training kit is sponsored by Sport 888. Bookies should not be able to do business with sports teams that play in any organised league. And they shouldn't be allowed to have ambiguous names like "Sport 888". At least Bet365 state their purpose clearly.
    The 888 component of 'Sport 888' is almost certainly due to the Chinese associating the number 8 with good fortune, particularly in the betting world.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The 888 component of 'Sport 888' is almost certainly due to the Chinese associating the number 8 with good fortune, particularly in the betting world.
    It is indeed!

Both drinking excessively and an addiction to drugs can also come at a high financial cost. There was a time when the only thing that could put a temporary rein on my alcohol addiction was that I didn't have any more money left to buy alcohol.