+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things they should teach you in school

Re: Things they should teach you in school

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's a really good question. My view and that of many tech people are that we're so reliant on smart technology that the languages used to code them need to be 'spoken' fluently. Our reliance on the tech also means reliance on a shrinking number of both people and corporations. Asia is leading the way in this and in the west, we're actually illiterate regarding technology by comparison.

Don't forget, self-driving smart cars are the future. They'll be 'fixed' with a laptop. But they'll be 'designed' by coders too. Including the robotics used to manufacture them.

We teach reading and writing but don't expect everyone to go on and use those skills to the highest level. The guy who made the Raspberry Pi, Eben Upton is a Welshman born in Pontypool, and his philosophy about coding and getting kids to learn is brilliant stuff and worth reading. I don't have time to post the articles now but if you follow up from the wiki page you'll find plenty written by him.

But you're right, you'd only need to know the basics to operate at the simplest level. It's really down to an over-dependence on a small number of coders in relation to the amount of tech we use.

It's actually scary how badly computer technology and languages are taught in UK schools compared to other countries.
    Totally agree but when Universities are still teach java for computer science degrees something is wrong somewhere!

In terms of coding it teaches kids an approach to problem solving, how to do things in a logical order and how to test to prove an end goal is met.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Should've gone to a Catholic School. Sex Education was teaught by Nuns and mad R.E Teachers. Sex was only to be performed to conceive a child in a married relationship. If you wanted three kids and hit the jackpot on each occasion, then that would be it, three rounds of fun for an entire marriage.
    dont get on the wrong side of the nuns

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don’t listen to weather forecasts

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Coding. All the tech being used has to be coded. There is still a tiny percentage of the world's population with enough coding knowledge in all the necessary languages needed (including some major tech running older languages). I know they teach 'some' but it should be like being able to read and write properly, it's that important.

Edit: ask a kid how a smartphone works? What programming language does it use? How is it made?
    Some are taught coding, in primary schools they use " python for kids " , it progresses in secondary schools

The various " pi " projects are great, astro pi run by the European space agency, kids can write code to run on the ISS and get the results back, the more advanced schools ( who partner ESA ) can really get involved, its a great project and really engages the kids

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    dont get on the wrong side of the nuns
    Don’t get underside of the brothers!

How corrupt the media and government are..

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    How corrupt the media and government are..
    Can we try to have just one thread not become a political argument?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t get underside of the brothers!

the nuns in mostyn were lethal, sludge knows all about them

You must have done a bit of d.i.y. Kev. Or even putting a table in a room and having it ‘square’ with the wall, you’re unknowingly using it then. I do like maths though, theorems fascinate me how they solve things.....bit geekish I know, sorry
    Who squares a free standing table with a wall? Margins splotty, margins!

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    How hard it is to conceive a baby, in fact it’s very unlikely you’ll get pregnant after a one off.

Trying for a baby was a ****ing nightmare and so worrying as the months went on, all because you’re misled in school.

Don’t teach them that.

International

Financial education is the most important, if you teach them about debt, saving investing budgeting and the dangers of gambling, they've got half a chance.

Ray, do what i did and get kicked out at 15 and they put naughty kids on courses like Mechanics, Gardening and outdoor pursuits
    Wish I'd known that back then as I like all of those things now

Growing your own produce should definitely be taught, and then cooking tasty, healthy meals using what you've grown. All the outdoors stuff has massive mental health benefits too, as well as physical health so should really be pushed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    manners
    Surely the job of the parents?

Who squares a free standing table with a wall? Margins splotty, margins!
    Seriously, some extensions I’ve worked on the customer, usually the wife, has worked out the furniture before a spade has gone in the ground. Width of chairs taken into account, the position of the pendant light central to the table, the lot. You bloody plasterers come in when it’s all set out for you

Seriously, some extensions I’ve worked on the customer, usually the wife, has worked out the furniture before a spade has gone in the ground. Width of chairs taken into account, the position of the pendant light central to the table, the lot. You bloody plasterers come in when it’s all set out for you
    The amount of lads that struggle to read a tape beggars belief as well.

How to put Ikea furniture together

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The amount of lads that struggle to read a tape beggars belief as well.
    Yeah, good point. A lot have no concept whatsoever of units of measurement. To us it’s pretty basic stuff, frustrating sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How to put Ikea furniture together

It’s school we're on about, not a masters at university!!

Yeah, good point. A lot have no concept whatsoever of units of measurement. To us it’s pretty basic stuff, frustrating sometimes.
    If someone said to you "cut that board full length at 950" would you attempt to cut the board 9.5cm?

Had a lad struggling to break a 95mm rip off a full length board. He'd worked with my mate for 2 months and was talked to in these measurements daily. Only so many times you can explain again before you realise it just ain't gonna sink in

If someone said to you "cut that board full length at 950" would you attempt to cut the board 9.5cm?

Had a lad struggling to break a 95mm rip off a full length board. He'd worked with my mate for 2 months and was talked to in these measurements daily. Only so many times you can explain again before you realise it just ain't gonna sink in
    C’mon dembe, 950” is just over 79 ft, try getting that in the van

C’mon dembe, 950” is just over 79 ft, try getting that in the van

He only had to cut it :coat:

He only had to cut it :coat:

Someone has to plumb the wall up and sort those skirting and ceiling lines

Not you plasterers

I’ll have you know that the tolerance on my bubble is between 0-50mm