Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
You're absolutely kidding on if you don't think West Ham can't sustain that. Their support base is basically all of Essex and most of east London. If you don't like West Ham, fair enough, but they are absolutely 100% a big club in terms of their support.

Also, I've never heard of anybody (Cardiff fans or otherwise) refer to us as a big club, so I don't understand why you seem to have such a chip on your shoulder about that. We've got the potential to be a big club, sure, but I don't think anybody seriously claims that we are.

I guarantee that if we were semi-competitive in the PL, we'd get 30-33k every week. Would most of those people be Johnny Come Latelys? Probably. But that's the thing with sustained success, people stick around. Then they take their kids, and they become fans, and then those kids go with their friends from school, and so on.

But we never have been competitive in the top flight (or at least not for 60 odd years), so none of that has happened. Add to that the hooligan reputation that the club couldn't shake for years, and it's not surprising.

Whether or not we could fill the Millennium Stadium on a weekly is up for debate, but if we even finished top 10 in the Prem for 3 years in a row we would 100% be looking at 40-50k IMO.
You have never heard of anybody referring to us as a big club ?

That's part of the problem I am afraid