+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Queen is dead. Confirmed at 6.30 by Buckingham Palace

Re: The Queen is dead. Confirmed at 6.30 by Buckingham Palace

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That is a wonderful tribute and your sentiments will be echoed by many.
    Very eloquent Mr Scoular. Wish I could write like that. King Charles (maybe Arthur. Didn't go well for Charles I. Name change possible) will have a job keeping the reputation of the family firm intact after today.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Very eloquent Mr Scoular. Wish I could write like that. King Charles (maybe Arthur. Didn't go well for Charles I. Name change possible) will have a job keeping the reputation of the family firm intact after today.
    King Charles the third confirmed, PM speech

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Still time for him to decide on a different regal name.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve no time for Royalty, but I always said that if we had to have a Monarch, she was a pretty good one.

It’s strange, she’s been there all of my life - don’t really know what to think now she’s gone, but I hope she rests in peace, she deserves that.
    Yes - same here Bob. Well put.

Very very upsetting, incredible woman who has been with us through much times of change.

In my humble view the most universally known , loved and respected person, and she was ours.. and part of our lives ..

The sunset over the Palace now is apt ..

My mum and her family from Pimlico in London would have been completly devastated...

Rest In Peace Great Lady .

RIP Bluebird.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yep. It had been mooted years ago that he would take the name "Arthur" but not so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Confirmed he will reign as King Charles III by the King's office.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Confirmed he will reign as King Charles III by the King's office.
    👍

Let's hope William gets his chance sooner rather than later. Charlie's another clown like Phillip was.
    At least William has a lot of Diana about him, a bit of humanity and humility, less foot in mouth if you will.

I won't be shaking hands with Liz Truss anytime soon.

It was an absurd life, and while there are suggestions she was a rock amidst the world shambling around her, I'd say Elizabeth Windsor and the rest of her institution, with the weight of the centuries behind it, merely stayed put and maintained the status quo, letting the artifice and pageantry do the talking when necessary. This seems to be enough for all those looking or conditioned to look for "identity" or leadership when it's not really anything of the sort. But there we are.

The presence of "royalty" is, amongst other things, a mainstay of inequality and subordination. It's a sad day, and will be a sad week, mostly because it's all a symbol of how happy some are to accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Let's hope William gets his chance sooner rather than later. Charlie's another clown like Phillip was.
    At least William has a lot of Diana about him, a bit of humanity and humility, less foot in mouth if you will.
    "Royal Aston Villa" in 20 years or so's time? William at least turns up to matches including City away at Villa a few years back.

Truss I am sure has made and will in future make many misdemeanours in her life but I doubt getting her monarch's name wrong would be one of them.

Although being King, I suppose he could change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It was an absurd life, and while there are suggestions she was a rock amidst the world shambling around her, I'd say Elizabeth Windsor and the rest of her institution, with the weight of the centuries behind it, merely stayed put and maintained the status quo, letting the artifice and pageantry do the talking when necessary. This seems to be enough for all those looking or conditioned to look for "identity" or leadership when it's not really anything of the sort. But there we are.

The presence of "royalty" is, amongst other things, a mainstay of inequality and subordination. It's a sad day, and will be a sad week, mostly because it's all a symbol of how happy some are to accept that.
    Very well put .

Had time for her, most of my life she just seemed a nice old lady. I'm sure she was ruthless and suffered no fools but just seemed reminded me of my nan.

The rest of her dysfunctional family...

Having said that, I do think William tries his best and is most like her. Seems.to know what it's about and respects the privilege.

Rest just take the piss.

RIP

I can't say I'm a royalist and the whole topic rather bores me. But she was a great servant and stateswoman who behaved with a lot of dignity. Demonstrated a lot of 'soft power' for the UK too.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I liked the queen. As a young woman she strode the global stage with beauty and grace. In her twilight years she adopted the aspect of a kindly grandmother. Like many of us, I suppose, who have never known a different monarch, I rather took her for granted — the Christmas messages, the speeches opening parliament, the endless ribbon cuttings. I don't live for the monarchy, but neither do I object to it. It gives Britain a distinct flavour in the community of nations, and I do enjoy the pageantry and the tradition. But the value of all this depends much on the quality of the monarch, and Elizabeth II stood high in this regard.

RIP.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Very very upsetting, incredible woman who has been with us through much times of change.

In my humble view the most universally known , loved and respected person, and she was ours.. and part of our lives ..

My mum and her family from Pimlico in London would have been completly devastated...

As I’ve said, she was spot on for the role, dignity, quiet but efficient authority, a decent human being who has shown how unelected (and elected) heads of state should behave. But I fail to understand how families can be completely devastated, I s’pose everyone is different but there are far more important ‘closer to home’ things to fret and get upset over. Still, each to their own.

Think this is apt , written about her by Phillip Larkin

In times when nothing stood
    But worsened, or grew strange,
    There was one constant good:
    She did not change.

You never know. He might want to identify as a Queen.

Big first couple of days for Truss

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I bet Boris is gutted. He'd have loved bumbling about leading the tributes. Could have tried to get in the knickers of some European royal at the funeral aswell. Poor bloke, bet he wishes he hadn't had that party now.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    A bit of Diana about him???? I hope not, she was f*cking nuts, a right basket case and, also, not the beauty some made her out to be. Not a good looker at all.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You’re joking! It couldn’t have fallen any better for her. Takes the heat off her plans to help the poor and unfortunate.